• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

Well - not the whole thread. ;)

We like things to stay mostly on-topic (it helps newcomers trying to sort things out) - but when a wait gets pretty long, this kind of topic meandering is kinda expected.

All we ask is that if a new user does come along, please go back on topic and catch them up.

And honestly - after all I'd read last week - I'd have thought your official 2.2 would be out already (even if costing a totally weird service charge for some SD card messing around).

I don't mind admitting I'm confused on this. If somebuddy wants to square me away on the status, I'd be appreciative. ;) :)

Most of the buzz/chatter/rumor/fairy tales/bedtime stories/etc... regarding an official 2.2 update is coming from METRO PCS & passing it off to the members here as PSEUDOFACT.

I'm w/CRICKET & visit a Corporate store usually on a weekly basis to catch up the latest phones,service,etc...,& NOTHING is ever mentioned about 2.2.At least,THANKFULLY,they're not spewing BS just to pacify the masses.

An official update to 2.2 is a moot point to most here,as most have already modded to varying degrees, whether simply rooting & unbloating or d/l a custom ROM.

So much is said on 2.2 that it makes it difficult for those that are new here,especially for those that this phone is their 1st piece of tech or smartphone.
Many THX to all out there who selflessly aid those who are new to the FORUM,ESPECIALLY THIS THREAD! :)

Upvote 0
Ok, with that in mind, I'll take a shot at a quick wrap-up for newcomers - y'all tear into any mistakes or misrepresentations I've made - or just plain fill in what's what.

OK - the deal with Froyo for those new -

YouTube - Android 2.2 Official Video

Cutting out the technobabble, it goes down like this:

• You get an optimized compiler
    • Basically - everything on your phone is an app calling a service or services
    • Service software is already very efficient Linux code (meaning - works great, been around, very stable, very good stuff)
    • Most all apps are written in Java - this is the big compiler improvement
    • Apps run much faster and more efficient - using LESS cpu power!
  • You get to put (some) apps on your SD card
    • OK, that some=a lot, actually
    • You can get around this with some pre-Froyo utilities
    • Why put apps on your SD card?
      • SD card has more memory possible than what's built-in to your Ascend
  • Froyo comes with full Flash support

And there's the rub, in my outsider opinion. Once upon a time, Adobe said they'd make Flash work with the class of cpu in your Ascend - the ARMv6.

Then - one day, without ever saying why - Adobe quietly dropped that and only supports Flash on phones with ARMv7 or higher processors and more memory.

So - on that day, a whole lot of phone owners previously expecting Froyo were suddenly faced with announcements that they'd never see an official Froyo update. The Ascend wasn't on those lists - but the Ascend is hardware-similar to those phones from other makers.

Next - we get the new gorilla in the room - Samsung - who comes into the US market, makes a huge splash with their Galaxy S-class phones, and takes forever and a day to update them to Froyo - long after others were enjoying it - and those Sammies had top cpus and memory.

So - take your pick - the carriers and makers have learned they can sit on their hands, point fingers and the consumers are stuck in the cold - or - they don't want to support a partial Froyo and get people upset.

Next - we get the MetroPCS Ascend TapouT version (something to do with martial arts on the wallpapers) and it's claimed to be at Froyo 2.2.

It's also widely claimed to be the exact same phone as the Ascend - which makes me suspicious of all claims.

So - take your pick - the TapouT is proof your Ascend can run Froyo and you'll get it officially - or - the TapouT is really modified hardware - or - they're just trying to sell you a new phone instead of updating you.

Enter rooting.

Getting root access means the exact same thing as getting Administrator privileges on your PC - you can change things, you can install new system stuff.

Enter Icarus and CM.

Icarus is a non-Froyo replacement software (rom) for your phone that many Ascend users are quite happy with.

Cyanogen Mod is the best-known independent rom developer for Android, and seems to have a Froyo-update for your phone. Links to CM are at the top of this page, references thereafter.

So - rather than wait - you can root, and replace your built-in software with an update.

Important to note when considering what to expect with the Ascend - is the Ascend a cheap phone?

• No.
  • The Ascend is a less-expensive phone that just over a year ago would have qualified as near state-of-the-art.
  • Being inexpensive, it has memory and cpu limits that means it won't support all future Android updates.
  • After you hit the point where you're 100% happy with your Android phone, updates don't matter a whole lot.
  • If you never hit the point of happiness, that's ok too - just upgrade your phone and know your first Android was probably better than mine. ;)

Hope I got this right - as I said - the gang here will correct what I boffed! :)

Upvote 0
It really is a pitty that I can't download Icarus on my phone. No internet so my Ascend is my only net access... The dl link however, won't work on my phone.

Try these 3 things to optimize your experience w/o installing a Custom ROM:

1)Root & unbloat per the guide @ beginning of the ASCEND sub forum ALL THINGS ROOT.

2)Install ROM MANAGER to partition your SDcard to facilitate moving user(downloaded) apps to SDcard using LINK2SD.THX to BOREDGUY & BlastGT1 for this tip!

However,you WILL lose photos,ringtones,music,etc.(basically everything downloaded) unless it is backed up somewhere else.Your apps will still be on TITANIUM BACK-UP or other similar back-up app.

A new SDcard may be in order,go w/the best you can afford,topping out @ 16GB max.You can x-fer your data from your other card later.
Then,download LINK2SD & move your user(downloaded)apps to the SDcard.

3)If your not using a CPU app,I'd highly recommend doing so. CPU BOOST PRO,SET CPU,etc.....,also,use the Cache Cleaning apps CACHE MATE & CACHE CLEANER NG.

VM HEAP TOOL,SD SPEED INCREASE, & SD MAID are also very helpful tools to optimize overall performance.

I know,that's more than 3 things,but you get my drift.These things will help until you are able to install ICARUS 1.1,CM6,CM7 or whatever may hit the scene down the road.

Reactions: SalvoWolf
Upvote 0
Hey this is my first post so don't bite my head off if this has already been answered (i checked this forum and others but maybe i missed it) I have a Metro PCS ascend and when i go to my "about phone" scroll down i see "firmware version 2.1 - update 1" i click and hold click on it but it doesn't do anything. (maybe I'm ******ed) I have a "permanently" rooted phone using z4 root. DOES ANYONE know weather or not this is the 2.2 update or not? or if its coming out?

Upvote 0
Hey this is my first post so don't bite my head off if this has already been answered (i checked this forum and others but maybe i missed it) I have a Metro PCS ascend and when i go to my "about phone" scroll down i see "firmware version 2.1 - update 1" i click and hold click on it but it doesn't do anything. (maybe I'm ******ed) I have a "permanently" rooted phone using z4 root. DOES ANYONE know weather or not this is the 2.2 update or not? or if its coming out?

the OFFICIAL 2.2 is not out for our phones. metro is messing with us (imo it's to get us to but the tapout edition)

if you root with z4 you can unroot just as easy, open z4 and tap unroot.

Upvote 0
the OFFICIAL 2.2 is not out for our phones. metro is messing with us (imo it's to get us to but the tapout edition)

if you root with z4 you can unroot just as easy, open z4 and tap unroot.

i say we form an an angry mob get some tortches n pitchforks go on down to good ol metro n demand 2.2 or a good ol fasion riot will take place lmfao (just a joke i have ben in a couple incidents where ive started riots tho)

Upvote 0
is any one going to make a guide on how to fix the mms on cm7 i have the basic idea on what to do but its made more confusing since i deleted my sd yestrday forgeting my backups would be gone too so now im a little overwelmed thanks for your time and patience

the fix is already out, you could just flash the new build on the wiki, and the fix is already applied to it...

i say we form an an angry mob get some tortches n pitchforks go on down to good ol metro n demand 2.2 or a good ol fasion riot will take place lmfao (just a joke i have ben in a couple incidents where ive started riots tho)

As stated in many of threads/post there isnt going to be no multi touch for this phone. All ascend have different screens than others..

is it safe? I damn near had a heart attack when i rooted my phone cause i couldn't get calls or txts, but i forgot i had to restart the phone. If its ok, I usually do extensive research before i do anything. also does this cm6 support multi-touch?

LoL

but i dont get it when i go into z4root it dosent say to unroot??

Did you do a perm Root?

Upvote 0
I flashed to a backup i made b4 the fix. Open the voice dialer n say OPEN A P N, changed the username to my#@mymetropcs.net n the password to metropcs n saved. Made sure it was enabled with colored dot in radial button, and then booted into CWM n flashed the fix. reboot n checked the settings n tested.... it worked 8)

this is on metro, seems to be sumtin up with cricket n pip is checking on tat.

I just did the CyanogenMod_6.1.1_Alpha mod to my Ascend with the CWM 2.5.1.8 NOT the 3.0.0.5 and it went super smooth!! The only issue I had was with the new MMS fix...

I'm on Metropcs Tampa, FL area

This is the info provided by cyanogenascend.blogspot

voice dialer start it and say "Open APNs" it should open a new window with a list of available APNs. you should see cricket and MetroPCS.

Code:
MetroPCS
Name: MetroPCS
APN: #777
Proxy: proxy.metropcs.net
Port: 3128
Username: your number@mymetropcs.com
Password: metropcs
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc:3128
MMS Proxy: <not set>
MMS Port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 016
Authentication Type: PAP Or CHAP
APN Type: *

However, for it to work for me, the following is how I had to enter the info... The changes are in RED also note... phone number is entered as follows
Code:
xxxxxxxxxx@mymetropcs.com

Code:
MetroPCS
MMSC: [COLOR=red]http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc[/COLOR]
MMS Port: [COLOR=red]3128[/COLOR]
MNC: [COLOR=red]027[/COLOR]

Reactions: vinnyfox
Upvote 0
I just did the CyanogenMod_6.1.1_Alpha mod to my Ascend with the CWM 2.5.1.8 NOT the 3.0.0.5 and it went super smooth!! The only issue I had was with the new MMS fix...

I'm on Metropcs Tampa, FL area

This is the info provided by cyanogenascend.blogspot

voice dialer start it and say "Open APNs" it should open a new window with a list of available APNs. you should see cricket and MetroPCS.

Code:
MetroPCS
MMSC: http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc:3128
MMS Port: <not set>
MNC: 016
However, for it to work for me, the following is how I had to enter the info... The changes are in RED also note... phone number is entered as follows
Code:
xxxxxxxxxx@mymetropcs.com
Code:
MetroPCS
MMSC: [COLOR=red]http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc[/COLOR]
MMS Port: [COLOR=red]3128[/COLOR]
MNC: [COLOR=red]027[/COLOR]
CWM 2.5.1.8 will work flashing CM6 but wont with flashing CM7.

Glad you got it working. I'm working on applying themes, morphs, and other kewl visuals I found on CWM and xda :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones