• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

That "Regional Manager" from Metro never called me back to give me a final date, so F*&^ them!

I'm going to be trying out the TOE tonight.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, are there any hang ups with the TOE version?

Plus, how did you get it installed?

I have an idea, but I really want to make sure BEFORE I go doing something that is going to screw up my phone completely.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
That "Regional Manager" from Metro never called me back to give me a final date, so F*&^ them!

I'm going to be trying out the TOE tonight.

Has anyone tried this yet? If so, are there any hang ups with the TOE version?

Plus, how did you get it installed?

I have an idea, but I really want to make sure BEFORE I go doing something that is going to screw up my phone completely.

Thanks!

download the .zip file and put it on you sdcard but dont unzip it, you can flash it like you do other roms, i would recommend you make a backup of your current rom than boot into cwm and wipe everything not including your sd card. After the wipe choose install from zip.

Upvote 0
Ok... sports fans. Good news and bad news. I was talking to the good people at Metro and I was told two things.

Good news.
The update is coming towards the end of May.

Bad News (good news for me):
To get it, you'll have to take your phone to the dealer and they will install it for you. For those planning on using this to create a custom ROM (Stronger... Faster... more powerful than any Kernal before...) you're SOL unless you know someone at a Metro Store that would "accidentally" drop this file onto a flash drive for you. It's good news for me, cause I don't want the update. I like my souped up rooted up, overclocked Ascend of utter DOOM! But some might wanna play angry birds and not use Skyfire as a means of watch flash videos. (if you're in Detroit or Dallas you should reconsider, cause Skyfire optimizes for your device to compensate for your inability to use 3G speeds due to the 3G towers being converted to 4G)

Upvote 0
Ok... sports fans. Good news and bad news. I was talking to the good people at Metro and I was told two things.

Good news.
The update is coming towards the end of May.

Bad News (good news for me):
To get it, you'll have to take your phone to the dealer and they will install it for you. For those planning on using this to create a custom ROM (Stronger... Faster... more powerful than any Kernal before...) you're SOL unless you know someone at a Metro Store that would "accidentally" drop this file onto a flash drive for you. It's good news for me, cause I don't want the update. I like my souped up rooted up, overclocked Ascend of utter DOOM! But some might wanna play angry birds and not use Skyfire as a means of watch flash videos. (if you're in Detroit or Dallas you should reconsider, cause Skyfire optimizes for your device to compensate for your inability to use 3G speeds due to the 3G towers being converted to 4G)

but even with the 2.2 official update, flash media is not meant for this device.

Upvote 0
funny that the only thing these ppl knw are the prices of the phones ... just like ppl at cricket.. its so annoying i asked one guy at cricket about the update and he was all like your phones up to date thats y they have they new ascend out .. go figure...:thinking:

when i got the ascend as my first smartphone i asked them if the sanyo or the huawei ascend was quicker and she said "ascend" with no hesitation.. a couple google searches revealed that both phones are 600 mhz

Upvote 0
when i got the ascend as my first smartphone i asked them if the sanyo or the huawei ascend was quicker and she said "ascend" with no hesitation.. a couple google searches revealed that both phones are 600 mhz

wow thats funny.. maybe she just had a quota ta meet.. were they the same price?? i think the sanyo has gone up here in san antone

Upvote 0
I've done this update.
[ROM][WIP] Froyo-TOE Current: 20110430 (Based on Official 2.2 ROM!)

The problem is it has an error when trying to set up my network. I do everything the rep says, enter MDN, MIN, etc...and at the end it has an
NV error.

Any clue what to do from here?

I was told personally by Isaac you do not want this rom its junk. Cm7 is the only project worth d/l as he will continue to improve it ( I dont see how cause its already awesome!!!) So save yourself time and just get Cm7!!!:D

Upvote 0
I was told personally by Isaac you do not want this rom its junk. Cm7 is the only project worth d/l as he will continue to improve it ( I dont see how cause its already awesome!!!) So save yourself time and just get Cm7!!!:D

Unfortunately, I installed CM7 last night and it crashed my phone. I then installed CM6 and it is super fast and totally customizable. So far, I am extremely happy with it.

I may consider trying CM7 once all the bugs are fixed and it is more stable. But, for now, CM6 totally rocks!

Upvote 0
I'm new here so bear with me::eek:
I've been reading through this forum and I keep seeing how Icarus is wayyyy great and that CM6 is the way to go. I have rooted my Ascend w/z4 and am at the stage using titbu and have b/uped all apps that I want to remove. I'm afraid to delete them lol...but what I want to know is what exactly is Icarus and CM6? I can work my puter like a pro but am scared to work this phone lol...it sounds like it's a lot like putting in a new OS ( but w/puter you use a disk lol) and CM6 sounds like more memory? I've put more mem into puter and that required me to take it apart and put in new chips...any pros and cons would be helpful. I am sure I'm on the wrong forum so please put me in the right direction if I am. Also..can't wait for 2.2 but if slower than or comparable to 2.1 lag then I agree, why switch? just a few thoughts from the new gal. Thanks for reading.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm new here so bear with me::eek:
I've been reading through this forum and I keep seeing how Icarus is wayyyy great and that CM6 is the way to go. I have rooted my Ascend w/z4 and am at the stage using titbu and have b/uped all apps that I want to remove. I'm afraid to delete them lol...but what I want to know is what exactly is Icarus and CM6? I can work my puter like a pro but am scared to work this phone lol...it sounds like it's a lot like putting in a new OS ( but w/puter you use a disk lol) and CM6 sounds like more memory? I've put more mem into puter and that required me to take it apart and put in new chips...any pros and cons would be helpful. I am sure I'm on the wrong forum so please put me in the right direction if I am. Also..can't wait for 2.2 but if slower than or comparable to 2.1 lag then I agree, why switch? just a few thoughts from the new gal. Thanks for reading.:thinking:

First off. Welcome to the Forums.

Icarus, CM 6, and CM7 are new OSs. The disk is the SD card. And the only hardware that you can change.
The phone is really a computer running on Android which is a Linux based OS.
Read Tokenpokes ultimate customization thread in the All Things Root subsection.
Sorry for being very brief but doing this on the phone. Feel free to PM if you need some help.

Reactions: juwahni
Upvote 0

Icarus, CM 6, and CM7 are new OSs. The disk is the SD card. And the only hardware that you can change.
Read Tokenpokes ultimate customization thread in the All Things Root subsection.
Sorry for being very brief but doing this on the phone. Feel free to PM if you need some help.

what they said, and it only takes about 5 minutes to install and be running cm6 based on 2.2 froyo...CM6-Ascend - Prepaid Android

Reactions: juwahni
Upvote 0

IF you talked to Isaac, it probably wasn't Isaacj87 because he wouldn't say the only one worth downloading is CM7 because:
A. He started CM6 and continues to work with Pip on making it better even though it is fully functional.
B. CM7 does still have a couple bugs that he is working on. He probably has fixed one while I was typing this. He has Really put some time into it this past week.

To anyone thinking about flashing to a new rom read the developer's wiki pages, the threads, and try them out for yourself. Everyone has different likes and needs for their phone and will prefer one rom over another. That is the great thing about Android, WE HAVE OPTIONS! And we are really LUCKY that Isaac and Pip have spent so much of their time (for free) to give us those options. For those who can please donate to the guy who worked so hard on the one you end up using.

Upvote 0

Thanks so much I believe I will be PMing you shortly lol. :D

Upvote 0
IF you talked to Isaac, it probably wasn't Isaacj87 because he wouldn't say the only one worth downloading is CM7 because:
A. He started CM6 and continues to work with Pip on making it better even though it is fully functional.
B. CM7 does still have a couple bugs that he is working on. He probably has fixed one while I was typing this. He has Really put some time into it this past week.

To anyone thinking about flashing to a new rom read the developer's wiki pages, the threads, and try them out for yourself. Everyone has different likes and needs for their phone and will prefer one rom over another. That is the great thing about Android, WE HAVE OPTIONS! And we are really LUCKY that Isaac and Pip have spent so much of their time (for free) to give us those options. For those who can please donate to the guy who worked so hard on the one you end up using.

Isaacs exact words as I copied them from my pm.
Icarus -- old, but stable. Based on stock ROM so it just works, but it lacks any good features

CM6 -- dead, broken project. I ported it and then quickly abandoned it. the guy the maintains it doesn't make any real specific changes for the Ascend. I think everything works on it, but it's pretty boring

CM7 -- new, and on-going project. Ever since build 05012011, everything has started coming together. Everything pretty much works (on 05022011 or later). This is also the latest version of Android (2.3.4) and the latest CM7. I keep this project up to date and have done a lot of things to make it run the best it can on the Ascend.

TOE -- Crap. Just Crap. It's been kitchened on there. It has problems, it's slow and it's not been built from source so if you do find a problem with it, it won't be fixed.

I wouldnt say something thats wasnt said to me.... And again these are Isaacs exact words.

Upvote 0
Just did the 05042011 version of cm7....practice makes perfect...or closer to perfect any way..:D I'm much more comfortable doing this now, and btw cm7 rocks!! still minor glitches but each new version is just getting better and better. So Thank You PlayfulGod, TokenPoke, Septembersrain, Nuttmeg, MoneyHoarder, and anyone else I missed for all the help thus far..you have made this experience ENJOYABLE for me!..:rolleyes: I actually LOVE my Ascend now...heh heh

Oh yeah...

I've got a question...I have ROM Manager v4.2.0.2 running clockwork mod 3.0.0.5. I have tried to flash to 3.0.2.8. but it stays at 3.0.0.5 I'm not sure I know how to flash it properly.. Could someone here please explain it to me? Thanks!

Ya All have been my cellular salvation!!..

Upvote 0
Just did the 05042011 version of cm7....practice makes perfect...or closer to perfect any way..:D I'm much more comfortable doing this now, and btw cm7 rocks!! still minor glitches but each new version is just getting better and better. So Thank You PlayfulGod, TokenPoke, Septembersrain, Nuttmeg, MoneyHoarder, and anyone else I missed for all the help thus far..you have made this experience ENJOYABLE for me!..:rolleyes: I actually LOVE my Ascend now...heh heh

Oh yeah...

I've got a question...I have ROM Manager v4.2.0.2 running clockwork mod 3.0.0.5. I have tried to flash to 3.0.2.8. but it stays at 3.0.0.5 I'm not sure I know how to flash it properly.. Could someone here please explain it to me? Thanks!

Ya All have been my cellular salvation!!..

if you flash the new cwm it want show it in rom manager, but if you boot into cwm by holding vol up, send key, and power, you will see the right version of cwm that you installed.

Reactions: Hottoddy
Upvote 0
All i have to say is i went with CM7 because of it being 2.3 instead of 2.2 or 2.1 heavily modified. I am thrilled with my choice, and the instructions for first time flashers like me are flawless. Thank you to all the mod's, developers, and people that took the time to write step by step instructions for noob's like me. Forget waiting for Metro or Cricket to update..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones