• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

So I am just going to add to the whole 2.2 thing.
Went to a Cricket Corporate store yesterday (to fix my bill....) and asked them about 2.2 while I was there. They were pretty straight forward with me. They said that I knew as much as they did. They had heard rumors, but they doubted it would happen. Said they get told only about a week before ANYHTING happens anyways, so we will know as soon as they do. They told me the Ascend 2 will be out soon, told me it would have an 800 mHz processor, 5 mp camera, and 2.2. They didn't see any reason to release an upgrade for our Ascend with the next Ascend coming in the future. 3 of the 4 of them there had Ascends.

Of course most of this is speculation... so guess we all get to be happy with what we have and what the Devs have made for us. I haven't gone to CM6/7 yet, or Icarus. I am rooted. I may move on to CM6/7 soon.

Upvote 0
So I am just going to add to the whole 2.2 thing.
Went to a Cricket Corporate store yesterday (to fix my bill....) and asked them about 2.2 while I was there. They were pretty straight forward with me. They said that I knew as much as they did. They had heard rumors, but they doubted it would happen. Said they get told only about a week before ANYHTING happens anyways, so we will know as soon as they do. They told me the Ascend 2 will be out soon, told me it would have an 800 mHz processor, 5 mp camera, and 2.2. They didn't see any reason to release an upgrade for our Ascend with the next Ascend coming in the future. 3 of the 4 of them there had Ascends.

Of course most of this is speculation... so guess we all get to be happy with what we have and what the Devs have made for us. I haven't gone to CM6/7 yet, or Icarus. I am rooted. I may move on to CM6/7 soon.

im pretty sure when metro upload the file here Download the Huawei Ascend Android 2.2 software upgrade it will be modded for both carriers by the devs, but theres no use to wait on cricket or metro, soon as i got my phone when they came out was root it, and remove all bloatware, than when icarus drop, best believe i had it on there, lol but that link was from metroPCS page on the Regular Ascend page.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If/when it does ever gets released, it will be in a update.zip format and wont affect the data partition, thus all you data will still be there after the upgrade (unless you do a factory reset/wipe data). But you will need to get it from the specific carrier for it to work with said carrier, or else need to be edited to work for mms, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones