• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official Discussion] Huawei Ascend 2.1 - 2.2 Firmware Upgrade (Info updated as received!)

Hey guys/ I tried updating my Ascend for metro to 2.2 and it says Version Verify Failed...What am i doing wrong?

are you with cricket or metro, cause metro 2.2 is not for cricket, but just download the update and extract it to your sd card it will be a folder called dload, next power of the phone than press and hold vol up, end key, and tap power and the update will go threw.

Upvote 0
when (if) will the ICS Ice cream sandwich be available for my huawei ascend m 860?

thanks eto

Seeing as how the phone is no longer officially supported, you're going to have to count on the good people of the CM team. Therefore, never ask for ETAs. We're fortunate enough to have Gingerbread on the Ascend. We can only hope for ICS.

Reactions: ichosethis1
Upvote 0
I think the latest sw on my huawei ascend is froyo 2.3?

Seeing as how the phone is no longer officially supported, you're going to have to count on the good people of the CM team. Therefore, never ask for ETAs.

Why did they drop support? I like huawei, may not have a snazzy gpu but thats ok.

We're fortunate enough to have Gingerbread on the Ascend. We can only hope for ICS.

What are the updates/improvements with gingerbread?

how do i get gingerbread?

Upvote 0
I think the latest sw on my huawei ascend is froyo 2.3?

Seeing as how the phone is no longer officially supported, you're going to have to count on the good people of the CM team. Therefore, never ask for ETAs.

Why did they drop support? I like huawei, may not have a snazzy gpu but thats ok.

We're fortunate enough to have Gingerbread on the Ascend. We can only hope for ICS.

What are the updates/improvements with gingerbread?

how do i get gingerbread?

Froyo is 2.2

They don't support it because they have newer, better phones that they want you (the consumer) to buy.

CM7 (Gingerbread/2.3) is just better IMO. I don't know specifically what has changed, just faster, with more functionality.

Upvote 0
ok for a newbie/dummy, who barely got the froyo upgrade from an authorized update metro pcs source installed ok, what is the procedure to get gingerbread on to my huawei ascend?

I have not yet rooted my huawei, is that required to get the gingerbread update/upgrade?

thanks eto

Yeah. It can seem a little hairy, but there is plenty of support here. Look through the Ultimate Ascend Customization Guide sticky in the Ascend - All Things Root subforum. Basically, it goes like this...
  • Root your phone
  • Install Clockwork Mod Recovery (CWM)
  • Backup everything, that is grabbing AntTek or Titanium Backup and backing up your apps, and performing a nandroid (complete system) backup with CWM
  • Partition your sdcard to 512 with 32 swap after copying your entire card to your computer (not necessary, but highly advised)
  • Flash CyanogenMod 7 (CM7), Google Apps (gapps), and (after a reboot) the MetroPCS mms fix (metroff)
CM7 is the custom 2.3 ROM for the Ascend. Personally, I would recommend using the CWM 3.0.2.8, gapps 20110613 and CM7 09132011 (defaulted to 710) found in the Handy Ascend Download Links sticky in this forum. But that could be a little debatable.

Reactions: Can0dope
Upvote 0
Hi I'm new here and was wondering if anyone could help answering some questions I have about updating an Ascend to 2.2

I was given a MetroPCS Huawei Ascend recently by a family who doesn't know anything about using touchscreen/smart phones. :D

The phone needs to be updated but MetroPCS doesn't support the firmware update anymore. The app that initiates the update still shows up in the App Store but doesn't do anything when you try to download it.

Now fortunately I was able to find the FroYo 2.2 firmware (specifically for Metropcs's Huawei Ascend) online but I'm not familiar with how to update via computer/USB.

I've searched but couldn't find a step by step guide, if anyone is willing to share one or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones