• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at an HD2 again today.... my opinion - it just doesn't look as good as the Nexus' AMOLED.... but that could partly be due to how shitty winmo 6.5 looks despite Sense... definitely not as crisp a UI as Sense on Android

we get it. you love your nexus 1. why do you even post in the evo forums? stop acting like you're considering buying it when every post you make is putting the phone down.

Upvote 0
when the moto droid and nexus one were announced with their high resolution screens, I was really exited. then I was really dissapointed to see the screen size of the moto droid in person. it is the same width as my g1's but just a bit longer. even though I don't like the iphone, I do like that its screen is wider. the evo has the screen that I've been waiting for.

Upvote 0
The Evo is where it is at. It is a far better more advanced phone than the incredible, and in my opinion it looks much better for the simple fact taht the entire front of the device is besically a screen. Not 2" of black nothing like the incredible.

The phone is not only the best device available for those in 4G markets but those in 3G as well. You will be able to record video with the front facing cam and post it on FB or where ever else you want. It just can;t go live to the qik site unless you have 4G or wifi. You get that huge 4.3" screen to run over 38,000 apps on. Its clarity and shear size is superior to the unincredible.

Think of The Evo as the older better looking brother to the unincredible. The unincredible is like a project an artist stopped working on because he had a better idea-the Evo!!!!

It may (still haven;t been able to get this confirmed or not but if you don't see commercials tomorrow this is more than likely the case) be the first android 2.5 phone. 2.5 will be the last upgrade to android for a little less than a year.

Soo as i like to say, switch to Sprint, Do something SUperosnical yes?

Sprint has been putting up online ads since they announced the phone in March, how much more are they going to do? I see it on websites every day yahoo, engaget, intomobile, huffingtonpost and a lot of othe sites as well.

As far as tv though I would think just from a logical stand point that they would start their TV advertising a few weeks before the phone comes out but if it's not going to come out until the early/mid June or even later than it would seem kind of silly to start paying for tv ads now IMO. I'm not saying they aren't going to do that but it just doesn't make sense to spend the money for commercials until you are within 4 weeks of release. As I said the online ads have been up since they day the phone was announced and that makes more sense because the tech heads will be online and it's a lot cheaper than buying time on television. Again I'm not saying anything against what you said, I just don't see how it makes sense for them to start TV ads this far out from launch, seems like a waste of money.

Upvote 0
Wow I missed alot.
Well guys, I have some news. Take it as you want to. In that E-mail i showed you all yesterday i showed you along with self praise that there was some doubt for tomorrow. I was talking to Dan today and he said while the media blitz may not actually begin tomorrow, and this is due to Sprint editing the commercials i have been told. Weird no???
Thats becasue the higher ups have been to this thread and are redoing the commercial with our OB1 Kenobi-Droid idea. :D

Overland Park, USA | By Bhaskar's Demo Account (broydemo)
Thanks for that...
Red speaker grill, white back... I can't take it anymore... :-D
Those videos are outstanding. I love the video and chat demo. Nice. Man this phone is gonna rock.

But something tells me that Jackson is right that April 16th is not gonna be that much going on. I guess we'll know by 2PM

TS

Upvote 0
On the subject of marketing ... Sprint, please give up on all the Sense UI screenshots. They do nothing to differentiate your product from the other android phones in the eye of the general public. Come up with a few iconic shots that make people say, "Oh, that's the new EVO."

Show what the phone can do, but show it in a way that conveys adventure, discovery, and mystery ... Possibilities!

Apple and Nintendo have made fortunes marketing their respective products in this manner.

Upvote 0
On the subject of marketing ... Sprint, please give up on all the Sense UI screenshots. They do nothing to differentiate your product from the other android phones in the eye of the general public. Come up with a few iconic shots that make people say, "Oh, that's the new EVO."

Show what the phone can do, but show it in a way that conveys adventure, discovery, and mystery ... Possibilities!

Apple and Nintendo have made fortunes marketing their respective products in this manner.

For my first I would like to say you are DEAD ON! Do not market this phone showing the same sense screenshots that are on so many other phones. Market it showing screenshots that are DIFFERENT than what people are accustomed to seeing by showcasing how this phone is so much BETTER than EVERY other phone available on the market right now. If it is marketed showing the same sense screenshots like so many other phones there will NOT be the WOW FACTOR from the general public who are not the techie, nerd type. Don't mess this up Sprint.

Upvote 0
Were those recorded with the Evo? I'm glad it's still being worked on then because they weren't very good at all, that one was extremely shakey and jittery, the image just didn't look right. They were talking about in the second video how that one was smoother but they said that they wondered if the other one was bad because if it's higher resolution, so was that being recorded in less than 720p?
Remember, the videos you're seeing are what is sent to qik, which doesn't necessarily correlate to what the camera is fully capable of. qik is a site specifically designed for live video streaming, so it only makes sense that the qik app would send video at a modest resolution. Don't judge the camera quality based on anything you see from qik. Only base the qik quality off of what you see on qik.

Upvote 0
Remember, the videos you're seeing are what is sent to qik, which doesn't necessarily correlate to what the camera is fully capable of. qik is a site specifically designed for live video streaming, so it only makes sense that the qik app would send video at a modest resolution. Don't judge the camera quality based on anything you see from qik. Only base the qik quality off of what you see on qik.

I wouldn't judge the camera until it's actually done and released but you could hear the guy using it saying how it was not smooth.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't judge the camera until it's actually done and released but you could hear the guy using it saying how it was not smooth.

Again that is Qik Live STREAMING video, it is no way near the quality of what the camera can record. Qik is a great video streaming program, and they have it down to a science, but since it is LIVE streaming the video quality isn't as good as if you were recording.

Make sense?

p.s. This camera could final, why would Qik be tweaking out the Qik program (with sprint people) if it wasn't a final camera setup???

They were talking delays and resolutions within Qik software.

Upvote 0
Right, but that could have to do with the qik application, not the camera itself. Based on the discussion it seems that they are discussing how best to implement qik on the evo, not the camera in general.

EDIT: Oops, should have read MyHTCevo's post first :p

Upvote 0
1. EVO does not appear to be much larger than iphone so i don't think it will be obtrusive or ridiculous looking. i held the HD2 in my hand and the display is beautifully large - about as big as you'd want. any bigger might be too much for portability purposes. one thing that amazed me was how thin and light it was - especially given the display size. quality was awesome - a thin light solid slab of fine electronics, glass, and metal.
2. it appears Verizon is releasing the Incredible on April 29. while i don't want Sprint to rush a half baked EVO to market, i'm hoping this puts a little pressure on them to not dick around and thus to get it out asap for fear of losing current/potential customers.

Upvote 0
8GB of built in storage space not RAM OR ROM is highly unlikely and unseen for the most part except on the iphone but that's Steve Jobs for you. I'm 99.9% sure it will ship with an 8or16GB Micro SDHC card, the card reader inside the phone will read cards up to 32GB so it's expandable up to that by simply replacing the Micro SDHC card.

it seems to me that portable removable exchangeable storage is a beautiful thing with all upside and no downside.

Upvote 0
If not having internal mass storage makes room for other goodies then that's a good thing in my book! I'm here in the last time zone all alone waiting wanting...waiting.....I'm always waiting!! I've had 3 WinMo phones! I've been waiting since the PPC-6700 Apache! THE fugliest smartphone ever!! The EVO will be a nice and earth shattering change for me. Can you believe it?? Sprint with a Kool LOOKING phone!??? I must be dreaming or something. haha

Upvote 0
If not having internal mass storage makes room for other goodies then that's a good thing in my book! I'm here in the last time zone all alone waiting wanting...waiting.....I'm always waiting!! I've had 3 WinMo phones! I've been waiting since the PPC-6700 Apache! THE fugliest smartphone ever!! The EVO will be a nice and earth shattering change for me. Can you believe it?? Sprint with a Kool LOOKING phone!??? I must be dreaming or something. haha

that's the price you pay for living in "paradise" mofo! when we're all freezing our asses off and shoveling snow in December - remember us!

Upvote 0
hm, I wonder what kind of mini HDMI is that on the EVO (evo is the one at the buttom)

THIS is the mini HDMI that I have on my VADO HD but the one on the EVO looks narrower and fatter

I only found those kind of mini HDMI at monoprice. nothing that looks like the one on the EVO

I have brought up this question before but no one seems to have an answer to what type of HDMI port... here are some pictures I looked at to compare...

First pic is a Canon 50D (confirmed) mini-HDMI... second pic is a mini-HDMI cable connector...last is another head-on shot of the EVO micro-USB (left) and ????-HDMI (right) ports.

kbq.jpg

HDMI_To_Mini.jpg

from Gizmodo Gizmodo -
500x_img_0239.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones