• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

So after watching that comparison between the equipment it takes to run 4g vs 3g, it seems like it would be fairly cheap to install 4g across the country, right? I mean, that little box with a couple routers connected to fiber cant cost more that 5 grand or so. It's not like they have to build entire new towers, they can just add that little box to every one. I guess I'm just a little irritated my area has NO mention of 4g anytime soon.

Also, as far as wireless N goes, I'm not sure how much it is needed on a phone. I mean, wireless G can run way faster than most people's internet connections. The only reason to upgrade your house to wireless N is if you want to stream 1080p movies across the house, which I dont think we will be doing anytime soon on a phone. Not to mention, I'm sure it's a power hog compared to wifi B/G.

Upvote 0
Well considering if you don't live in a 4G area (or if Sprint charges for 4G [which they better not!]) and you don't want to use, wireless N is faster and has a greater range than G. All routers coming out these days are wireless N, along with most wifi cards.

Does the Evo NEED it? No, of course not. G is fine. Is N faster? Yes.

for a cell phone the only part that is relavent is the range. G would max out our phones WAY before it would max out its bandwidth. the greater range requires 2 wifi antennae which suck more juice :-\

Upvote 0

Unfortunately it doesn't really make me feel too much better since the chip wont be released until early next year so it wont be in the EVO. :eek: I am sure sprints 4G will do great but i think its a valid concern for those of us that are not in a 4G area as of yet if they decided to take another option. Nothing like knowing you have a 4G phone but you will forever be stuck on 3G.

Upvote 0
I have a little bit of a concern that i have not heard brought up about the EVO. Currently this phone is able to do 4G/WiMAX however, what happens if sprint decides to use LTE instead since they said that they will do it for the greater good if the market goes in that direction. Will they stop the deployments of 4G in the new areas? Sorry if i sound dumb here but it crossed my mind. Is the radio able to be updated in the EVO to support LTE if this is truly the future? The EVO wont do us any good if they go full LTE and it doesn't support it. :(

That won't happen till way past this phones life. IF it happens at all. there won't be significant LTE in the US for the next couple of years

Upvote 0
so to turn the phone's screen on every time you want to use it do we have to reach up to the top every time? or do you think there'll be a shortcut way.

I think it's nice having a phone do this. It's less likely you ghost call anybody by bumping buttons in your pocket.

Also, I have an HTC Touch. I had the screen protector it came with on for a year and a half not thinking anything of it. I've had it off for 7 months now (yes, that's 25 months total, my upgrade came up, but EVO will be worth the wait). Anyway, the day I took the screen protector off I haven't looked back. It's soooo much more responsive, smoother feeling, easier to use, etc. And I play games on my phone with the stylus, sometimes a little rough, and it's not scratched or dented or anything. HTC makes quality stuff!

As for the finger prints, they can be an issue. Or if you press the phone on your face for a minute, like holding it on your shoulder with your cheek, skin sometimes leaves that greasy film... Skin is gross. Anyway, I keep a microfiber towel in my drawer at work and in my car, one at home... They work wonders. Costco sells them in sets for really cheap.

Upvote 0
So after watching that comparison between the equipment it takes to run 4g vs 3g, it seems like it would be fairly cheap to install 4g across the country, right? I mean, that little box with a couple routers connected to fiber cant cost more that 5 grand or so. It's not like they have to build entire new towers, they can just add that little box to every one. I guess I'm just a little irritated my area has NO mention of 4g anytime soon.
I read (somewhere) that each of those boxes cost $3600. The beauty is they can be placed on top of tall building and on top of existing cell phone towers, so WiMAX is fairly easy and inexpensive to deploy.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
I read (somewhere) that each of those boxes cost $3600. The beauty is they can be placed on top of tall building and on top of existing cell phone towers, so WiMAX is fairly easy and inexpensive to deploy.

I'm guessing that would just be for the routers and maybe the housing down below. Those antennas are not that cheap not to mention the fo cables required to wire everything up the tower. I've also read it's much more expensive to put an antenna on top of a building than to just build a new tower. For instance here in NYC broadcasters pay millions of dollars each year in leases to high rise building in order to be able to put such equipment on top of buildings and skyscrapers.

Upvote 0
I'm with you Matt, I hate fingerprints as well. I want to protect my screen but I also don't want to degrade the capacitive ability, or hinder the display quality of this amazing touch screen with a second rate screen protector. I've heard some complaints that some screen protectors make fingerprinting/skin oils worse!

I have been doing some reasearch, but have not come up with any definitive answers as far as the best screen protectors or good quality products that fulfill my expectations.

I also have been considering creating a seperate topic to focus just on screen protection. If I have any support from others I may create it?

Guys, as far as I'm concerned....there isn't much of a need for a new thread. I accidentally came across a thread discussing a brand named Steinheil. Not sure if and when they will make a protector for the EVO....but these sound fantastic! I also remember doing research on this subject in the past and found out that there is a company that makes the protectors for the iPhone...for Apple. Can't remember the name...but know it starts with a "p". I remember believing it was the best of the best for touch and clarity. But....these Steinheil sound great! This is what I want...if they become available. Here's the link....

Steinheil Crystal - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Link to product....once again...probably too early for an EVO 4G version....

http://www.sgpstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=steinheil

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
maybe holding the home button? idk ive never owned an android or htc device

hopefully it'll at least be an option you can turn on if you want. I remember with the Pre I hated having to reach up top every time. Doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm anal about ergonomics like that. With the larger Evo, it'd prolly drive me more crazy.

Upvote 0
Zagg.com best screen protectors around

I would be inclined to agree with you...but the post I made just previous to yours is about a product that by all accounts eclipses the Zagg's. Of course I have no experience with this...so I just say from what I read...you can check the links for yourself. Btw...this is a good opportunity for me to again thank you for all of your great contributions to this thread!

Reactions: billsmed
Upvote 0
I'm guessing that would just be for the routers and maybe the housing down below. Those antennas are not that cheap not to mention the fo cables required to wire everything up the tower. I've also read it's much more expensive to put an antenna on top of a building than to just build a new tower. For instance here in NYC broadcasters pay millions of dollars each year in leases to high rise building in order to be able to put such equipment on top of buildings and skyscrapers.
This is a pretty interesting article that drexappeal posted in the WiMAX thread:
The Empire State Building tour image - WiMax at a thousand feet in the Big Apple (photos) - CNET News

Upvote 0
Also... I have a connection who works over at CBS, he said the next time sprint would start running new adds would be June 6th..... sounds like a date i have thrown around before no?
thats both good and extremely bad. good because sprint is atleast spreading the word. extremely bad because
1) thats very late
2) that could mean the evo will be released later than we expected

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones