Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaaye

zaaye Well-Known Member

I agree. But maybe the typo was done to cause more attention and discussion. Maybe a stunt. I dont know. I'm sure that someone will get fired if it is real and the invite made it pass the final check and no one caught it.
  2. billsmed

billsmed Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's real. Just because they left off "4G" doesn't mean it's fake. It's an honest mistake.
  3. kcs7272

kcs7272 Well-Known Member

Phone Dog has reported on it.
  4. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

On the flier, I assume its actually a webpage and the "Register" links to another website, which these guys had to use to register, and its all on the Sprint website...so again, ridiculously elaborate hoax if that's the case.

Maybe they want to cater to the smaller Android based sites, I don't know. Maybe they put in a "no iPhones allowed" stipulation and Engadget and Gizmodo are offended.
    BlueScreen, kritzell and zaaye like this.
  5. zaaye

zaaye Well-Known Member

ha!!!! Fun neeee!
  6. SprintFun

kritzell likes this.
  7. billsmed

Only problem with that article is that it downplays the EVO 4G and WiMAX. There's a definite iPhone bias.
  8. zfwjs

zfwjs Member

Phandroid says they are going to be at the NY event. Guess that means its not a hoax?

[Update]: Phandroid will be there! We hope to bring you some exclusive videos and pictures from the event as Rob will be with Sprint execs and industry insiders alike to get his hands on the EVO 4G. Oh, and he’ll be gawking at Jake Gyllenhaal in the new Prince of Persia movie all night.

Phandroid Joins Sprint CEO Dan Hesse at HTC EVO 4G Event Next Month [Update] | Android Phone Fans

I know this was already reported a couple of pages back.
  9. bigr97

bigr97 Active Member

Man oh man that article is lame, u can tell when they are pushing Verizon and at&t. WiMax will be alright but LTE will be better. Come on give Sprint a little credit, for being the first to come out with it, and to set a standard for all the other phone company's to follow and dream about having.
  10. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Maybe Engadget, Giz, etc. haven't received the flier yet?

Pretty sure Engadget would be there considering its one of the most visited blogs on the internetz every day.

And they had a pretty thorough write up on the EVO when it was announced.
  11. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

wimax = cheaper to set up, cheaper to sustain, faster than any phone can or will be able to process for quite sometime. It will be rolled out sooner than LTE and faster than 3g ever dreamed of being because of its size and cost. Those of us on the sprint and EVO bandwagon are making the right choice.
  12. SprintFun

The stability on these forums is ridiculously bad. If they start a donation drive strictly to upgrade their servers I'd donate.
  13. bigr97

bigr97 Active Member

Has anyone notice that all of the Quik videos on the EVO are no longer accessible. I was trying to show a coworker the videos and nothing.
  14. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Regarding existing applications, it all depends.

Existing applications that use network connectivity, say Pandora, may (or may not, I'm only speculating) utilize the OS's built in functionality to determine if network connectivity is present, then use built in functionality to do what it needs to do. Oftentimes there is no point for an app developer to reinvent the wheel and re-do something that the OS can and should already be doing for you.

Here's a stupid analogy, but it's the best my uncaffeinated brain can think of right now. You represent an application and have a set of headphones. There's a radio on the desk and that's the OS. You can either plug into that and get your music using the OS. Or you can bring your own radio, plop it down next to the OS, and do it your own way.

From a developer perspective, the workaround presented in the SDK should be for folks who are "doing it their own way." Otherwise as long as you are using the pre-supplied OS functionality correctly, network connectivity should be totally transparent to you.

And I see that there is news this morning about an Android 2.2. This would lead me to believe that this is what the Evo will have... a tweaked variant of Android 2.1, rather than the full blown changes of Froyo which is supposed to be presented in 2.5.

Time shall tell!
  15. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

You must have angered the server gods cause they just killed the system for a good 15 mins after you said that.
  16. billsmed

@bigr97
    Yeah, I like this quote from that article:
    Who is the author kidding? They haven't even started to deploy LTE yet. It's still in the testing stages and from what I hear, they're having a lot of problems with it. Geesh!! Obviously she is pro-AT&T, pro-LTE and pro-iPhone.
  17. SprintFun

I can't figure out if its Steve Jobs trying to bring the system down or the Incredible fanbois are humping the server again. I hope TS is investigating.
  18. billsmed

I have to admit, it's getting difficult to use this forum. From what I heard, they are changing servers and that means there are bound to be problems. I just hope they get it fixed soon!
  19. spar10

spar10 Well-Known Member

looks like june 6 is going to be the release date. makes sense (no pun intended). and supposedly there will be a 4g add-on to the plan. i really hope they don't do that.
  20. drksilenc

drksilenc Well-Known Member

man o man why all these sites keep harping on lte its not there yet... it wont be for quite a while there 2 years behind sprint and they say they will have it up this year? maybe in like 3 mass markets if there lucky then theres the hole bandwidth debacle
  21. billsmed

Welcome spar10. Hope you're right, but so far nothing is confirmed on the release date. Right now, we're waiting for May 12th as the date that Sprint makes everything official.
    spar10 likes this.
  22. bendispo

bendispo Well-Known Member

I don't think this has been asked yet, but I wonder if (assuming that the May 12th event is no hoax), the press party might also be the date that Sprint / Clearwire turns on WiMax for New York. We already know that it should be coming to the city sometime this year, and it would definitely generate a lot of buzz and offer guests and press an opportunity to experience the EVO at its fullest potential.
  23. billsmed

It's all politics and propaganda.
  24. dandm4life

dandm4life Well-Known Member

Actually some of them got theirs today as a glitch. Maybe they, umm, caused a short? Nevermind, I'm done with this line of thinking. Polkadots will get it.
  25. I know for a fact the numbers she posted are bunk.

For lte and wimax the cap will be set at 10Mbps.

For hspta+ the cap will be sit at 3Mbps.

That is as fast as the radios will allow, because that is as fast as the fcc will allow.

Anything faster will suck too much battery life.

At 10Mbps, that is up to 10x quicker then your most home connections.

The major difference between wimax and lte is wimax is for broadband communication. LTE is for mobile communication.

You can quote any speed you want. But you will never get a 50Mbps connection to your cellphone. That would just be pointless.

It would be too fast to process.

They quote speed thing like you can get it. You cant. Not for the next 5 or 6 years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.