• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sprint was losing customers left and right, due to CS issues and having a severely weaker phone line up.

I really disagree with this old argument. You can't forget that these things are staggered all through the year and it's not really fair to judge a company by its offerings when we are weeks away from a refresh.

Last summer, the Pre was the only phone with the same CPU and similar specs to the iPhone. Then the Hero came out on Sprint first. Then Sprint got the Moment which was the fastest Android phone. Then Verizon got Droid. Then T-Mo got the Nexus One. Then last week Verizon got the Incredible. Then in June we will get the Evo. I'm not event counting the other phones like HD2, Pixi, Touch Pro 2, etc. that came out staggered on other carriers as well as Sprint.

My point is that over the course of the year there are tons of releases on pretty much all the carriers. Being on top with the fastest this or the newest that one month doesn't mean that you will still be on top in 2-3 months. Likewise, just because a carrier has gone a quarter or a half without a groundbreaking release doesn't mean they have been severely lacking in good handsets. Hero is a good phone. Moment is a good phone. Pre is a good phone. No they are not the top of the pack anymore but to say that Sprint has been severely lacking misses that fact that 6 months ago they had some of the best phones on the market. Just because you didn't choose them doesn't mean others also did not.

I've been on Sprint for years and never lacked for a decent smart phone ever since I got my first Treo.

Reactions: kritzell
Upvote 0
1) That's there like 5, or 6 more hours of "24"??? Still has (hopefully) some potential product placement. EVO saves the world!!! LOL

2) Maybe it's just me. Maybe I think that Apple may have announce it. but - 1 thing kind of bugs me - and that's that the EVO home screens are ONLY in portrait mode. Nice kickstand - for videos - but not for all functions??? Is anyone else at least slightly annoyed by this?

Upvote 0
2) Maybe it's just me. Maybe I think that Apple may have announce it. but - 1 thing kind of bugs me - and that's that the EVO home screens are ONLY in portrait mode. Nice kickstand - for videos - but not for all functions??? Is anyone else at least slightly annoyed by this?

I posted a while back that I was annoyed by that. That is a feature of Sense, and I hope they fix it in a future version.

Upvote 0
Did anyone notice that the the picture that Bill posted on the first page of this thread. It's the hi-res image of the EVO with Thursday June 1st on its display. The 1st of June this year is a Thursday. Here's to hoping for a June release...

It also says sunny and Seattle, and we know that can't be true. :p

Upvote 0
I've been on Sprint for years and never lacked for a decent smart phone ever since I got my first Treo.

I have been with Sprint since '99....have never switched carriers. Infact I only got Premier status because I was a 10 year customer. So I know all of Sprint's up and downs.

I was just simply stating, that with the smartphone, Apple/Android war really heating up (Lawsuits and Patents) this is the first time Sprint will be leading the pack.

If all goes well, the EVO w/ 4G will be the phone that everyone else has to match.....which is going to be a huge advantage for Sprint.

Upvote 0
I have been with Sprint since '99....have never switched carriers. Infact I only got Premier status because I was a 10 year customer. So I know all of Sprint's up and downs.

I was just simply stating, that with the smartphone, Apple/Android war really heating up (Lawsuits and Patents) this is the first time Sprint will be leading the pack.

If all goes well, the EVO w/ 4G will be the phone that everyone else has to match.....which is going to be a huge advantage for Sprint.

Gotcha. I just constantly hear people saying that Sprint has a terrible lineup and crying about not getting some huge new groundbreaking thing every 3 months. That's just not how it works. Big releases tend to be one, maybe two per year tops. Right now carriers are stuck between supporting and getting the most out of flagship devices while being forced to update the lineup more frequently as the competition comes out with more and more buzz-generating devices. The smart phone market is one of the few that is experiencing growth even in a recession so manufacturers are all cranking out new models like crazy. Gone are the days of just having to decide whether you were going to get this year's Palm, PPC, or Blackberry. We have a yearly iPhone refresh, multiple models of Blackberry, Windows Mobile (soon to be Windows Phone), Palm/WebOS, Android, Symbian, etc. to choose from.

Seems like with that many releases, each carrier gets its time in the limelight before the next big thing 2-3 months later takes all the attention.

Upvote 0
Imagine setting up the EVO in your car. Your wife streaming Pandora in the front, and your two kids watching Monster vs Aliens in the back from their laptops. Dad seems lost so he decides to use Sprint Navigation, but his boss from back home decides to video call him. Wife and kids still doing what they are doing, regardless of the video call.

When the Evo is acting as a hot spot you can still carry on using the web as you can when you're not using the hot spot? I was thinking when the hot spot feature was turned on you wouldn't be able to do things like stream pandora on the phone itself.

Upvote 0

Doesn't bother me. Iphone does the same thing (home screen only in portrait mode). The ONLY thing I turn my phone sideways for is watching movies and playing certain games. Not even for texting. With this large of a screen, I think it'll be even less of an issue for me.

Upvote 0
It would almost certainly be a data-only app, otherwise the program would have to somehow synchronize "cellular" voice over data (hopefully that makes sense). The usefulness of the application would also be limited solely to those in 4G markets, feeding off of a 4G signal, as well. I doubt they would opt for such a cumbersome and limiting solution for such an obvious application to use with a phone that has a front-facing camera.

Besides, it's ridiculously simple to write a webcam application. That's all that this video chat would be.

One of the things that I'm hoping to learn about is what sort of, if any, applications EVO will be packing that takes advantage of that particular piece of hardware.

If you are talking about "Video Calls" or "Video Chats" it will include Qik. Qik is working on a "Video Chat" program right now that will be released on the HTC Evo. So anyone with a front-facing camera will use Qik (if it doesn't come pre-loaded they will need to download it for free) and that is how you will make "Video Calls". It will all be data and won't use any of your talk minutes.

Reactions: Clock
Upvote 0
This may sound like a stupid quesiton, but I'm going to ask anyway... what is EVP?

Employee Value Program. It's a program offered to employees of different corporations across the country to receive discount on phones and cell phone plans. Only "real" advantage of being eligible for EVP is sometimes they get "early" orders compared to the general public.

In this case, it seems like their orders will be at the same time as Best Buy orders, so no real advantage there. In fact, Best Buy would have an advantage because they offer instant rebates (no mail in rebate).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones