Official Froyo 2.2 fixed 3g problems?

Last Updated:

1. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I wondered if those people who have downloaded the official Froyo release can comment on if it has any effect on 3g reception.
    I know people all round the world with Nexus Ones and HTC Desires have been having problems receiving internet via 3g, and sending and receiving texts etc, possibly due to a bad baseband version in 2.1.
    So I wondered has anyone who was having these problems with 2.1 seen them improve with 2.2? Or is it same old thing.

Thank you

Advertisement
  2. nestrapez

nestrapez Active Member

There was never a problem with the phone. That 3g problem you speak of is a carrier problem with their tower.

3. Longfellow78

Longfellow78 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. As the 3g problem I'm referring to is reported all over the world across various networks, on the Desire and N1. I actually have a Desire with this problem (which happens randomly in different places all over the county) and I was under the impression that people had fixed the problem on rooted phones by changing the baseband version.

An HTC rep told me that Froyo should fix the problem and it should be out on the Desire in UK "very very soon". I wanted to know if Nexus One users who had experienced these issues had them solved by Froyo. If not then I wouldn't expect my problem to be solved either.

Thanks.

4. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with 3G - other than no network coverage for everybody, as shown on network providers maps..., eg down a deep glen in the Highland of Scotland...

5. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

4.06 radio does seem to be getting good reviews though, perhaps it does help in poorer signal areas?

6. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

So far so good. I havent had any issues with it going all the way into the heart of Manhattan last night. Didnt really take it to any of the places I know I used to get faint service though, Ill test that today. Havent really been able to test any dropping of calls either.

7. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

I understand the OP's question, I think.

With my N1, at my house, which, according to the T-Mobile coverage map, is in the "Prime" area for "Best" coverage, I should have better than good 3G coverage. When I moved into the house, I had 2.1update1 and anytime I tried to use my phone and held it in a normal fashion, I lost 3G and went to Edge. Under normal conditions, sitting on my desk in my office near the window, I would get, at best, 2 3G bars.

Now, with 2.2, I am always with 3-4 bars of 3G signal and almost never see Edge in the house. I can use my phone and hold it normally and not go to edge.

Is this because of 2.2? Did they just do some tower work when 2.2 released? Is it because shortly after 2.2 released I had T-Mobile replace my SIM card?

I have no idea, I just know that after 2.2, my 3G has been MUCH better in and out of the house. :) Too many things to say anything conclusive. :p

8. ronniea

ronniea New Member

I just uploaded the update.

My phone continues to lock up and removing the battery is the only way to re-boot.

How can I un-install this new update?

9. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You might be able to load a passimg.zip of an older build, but it will constantly bug you to update.

10. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

I can honestly say before 2.2 I was soooo close to getting rid of the phone because of so many dropped calls(no, it wasnt the network). After 2.2 I havent dropped one call(except for going through a tunnel) but I completely trust this phone for all my business purposes now(conference calls), not just for personal use.

11. rickynl

rickynl Member

Never had any problems....

12. Talisman

Talisman Member

I experienced this problem when I replaced my Samsung Galaxy with a N1 and lost 3G all the time in the exact same spots I had excellent connection with the Galaxy. 2.2 solved this issue.

13. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I've just moved to a new town and whilst I have 3G, holding the phone as you would normally at the bottom results in dropped signal and sometimes EDGE rather than 3G.

I have said before though that this in not a 3G problem. It's an all round signal drop issue.