• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Official Froyo installed

Got my SGS from Germany but I lived in Italy. Currently using the latest version of Kies and I can connect easily to my laptop. Prior to that, i have problem connecting my phone to my laptop windows home premium 64 bit 8 Gb RAM 500 Gb HD. Since, I thought official froyo would come late after it was pulled out last october, i flashed froyo form samsungfirmwares.com using odin. as instructed, you have to flash first xwjm8 then xxjpm, no problem with that. this morning after i installed the latest kies and connected my phone, i tried the firmware upgrade but an error message says the firmware of my phone cannot be upgraded. the original firmware was xxjf3. any advice?

Upvote 0
Does Froyo Fix the DHCP Netmask issue on the Galaxy S? Does it actually take the DHCP info from DNS and populate netmask as 255.255.255.0 instead of 255.0.0.0 on some networks? THIS IS ALL I WANT OUT OF FROYO! I want to finally be able to connect to my workplace's damn Wi-Fi. I take a lot of crap from my Motorola Droid and iPhone coworkers because of this enormous issue with the Galaxy S.

Yes. mine is correct.

Upvote 0
Doing a reboot has improved the speed, and using AF Mobile instead of the regular Html site has solved the bouncing-around problem.

Did you perform a factory reset? I'm guessing TW version and HK version should be somewhat similar. Do you have the Froyo version number?

Mine is suffering performance issues, but after a few resets.. it's calmed down a bit. Still laggy at times though.

I can't get any of the roots working with my phone now. the update files always fail me. So no lag fix for me yet.

Upvote 0
That may be the case Beards, but if samsung had given me a phone that worked properly in the first place and had not denied there was a problem i would not have done it. I waited as long as i could and could get no admission of a problem from vodafone or samsung.
i need the phone for my hobby of geocaching.
so the fact that i rooted and lag fixed is wholly samsungs own fault. If they had just admitted there was a fault and let me return the phone I would not have done it.
Yes, I fully understand your point... Trust me I have covered all of this with Samsung and the conversation was quite open and interesting.

Whilst I am here ~ I installed (make that read attempted) to install the official Froyo using Kies yesterday. What a total disaster it turned out to be.
It did not help I'd just done a lengthy surgical procedure just prior to attempting the upgrade and nor did it help I only had a couple of hours before having to get ready to brief my team for the next surgical op but suffice to say my mind was not completely focused on the task at hand in upgrading the phone.

Anyway, I'd done all the normal tasks on the phone; removed both SIM & Memory card, checked the 3-Button Recovery was in place should I need it later, used a dedicated Samsung USB lead and connected to Kies.
At first all seemed well..... right up to the point when the phone's screen suddenly turned a bright Yellow and on the PC the Upgrade process froze.
I left it for around 30 minutes but it was clear, the phone was not responding.
I unconnected the phone, took out the battery, left it out for a good 30 seconds and tried to switch on the phone but no, it did not want to play....

Anyway, I now had to start thinking of the afternoon operation I had to perform so to speed things up I left a message on xda-devs asking if someone could leave a few links to assist me so that when I returned I could jump straight into solving the 'bricked' phone.

I received quite a few replies almost immediately and managed to exchange with them quite a few interesting observations.

In the end it was recommended I use Odin 1.3 and the JPO_JPO_U_JPP.tar file from Samsungfirmware.com

So, after installing and loading all I had a quick attempt before my afternoon procedure and again it failed part way through (at the Kernal upgrade part).
It was no use, I had to put it down, clear my head and get on with the surgery.

Later that evening back at home I tried once again, only this time before connecting I went into the 3-Button Recovery and cleared everything from the phone (reformat, cache, the lot) and once more loaded Odin.
In PDA, I selected the

Upvote 0
Yup, it's Official for Hong Kong running FROYO.ZSJPD now.

:)

Hey tempest7,
Hong Kong here too and just upgraded to 2.2.
Everything works fine for me except I am having MAJOR issues with Email 2.2. I can download emails but it keeps locking up and sloooows down my SGS until it locks up. I had no issues with Email before the upgrade.
Is Email working for you after the upgrade to froyo? cheers.

Upvote 0
Yes, I fully understand your point... Trust me I have covered all of this with Samsung and the conversation was quite open and interesting.

Whilst I am here ~ I installed (make that read attempted) to install the official Froyo using Kies yesterday. What a total disaster it turned out to be.
It did not help I'd just done a lengthy surgical procedure just prior to attempting the upgrade and nor did it help I only had a couple of hours before having to get ready to brief my team for the next surgical op but suffice to say my mind was not completely focused on the task at hand in upgrading the phone.

Anyway, I'd done all the normal tasks on the phone; removed both SIM & Memory card, checked the 3-Button Recovery was in place should I need it later, used a dedicated Samsung USB lead and connected to Kies.
At first all seemed well..... right up to the point when the phone's screen suddenly turned a bright Yellow and on the PC the Upgrade process froze.
I unconnected the phone, took out the battery, left it out for a good 30 seconds and tried to switch on the phone but no, it did not want to play....

Anyway, I now had to start thinking of the afternoon operation I had to perform so to speed things up I left a message on xda-devs asking if someone could leave a few links to assist me so that when I returned I could jump straight into solving the 'bricked' phone.

I received quite a few replies almost immediately and managed to exchange with them quite a few interesting observations.

In the end it was recommended I use Odin 1.3 and the JPO_JPO_U_JPP.tar file from Samsungfirmware.com

So, after installing and loading all I had a quick attempt before my afternoon procedure and again it failed part way through (at the Kernal upgrade part).

Later that evening back at home I tried once again, only this time before connecting I went into the 3-Button Recovery and cleared everything from the phone (reformat, cache, the lot) and once more loaded Odin.
In PDA, I selected the

Upvote 0
I'm not too happy with the update. My phone generally ran better with 2.1 without any lagfix or rooting. Now I'm experiencing all sorts of problems.

• Background data (Accounts and synchronisation) disabled.
    I need to disable this or I would never be able to access the email app.
  • Screen frozen.
    My device has frozen on me at least 5 times since I updated friday evening. 3x during music playback and twice after removing the battery recharger.
  • Slow email
    Even with background data disabled the email app is slow as hell. Other apps aren't running as smooth as they should.

I then looked at the rooting and lagfix thing, but that doesn't work. I get an invalid checksum error when the update.zip needs to be opened in recovery mode.
This is my current config, I updated officially using Kies:

PDA:JPA / PHONE:JPP / CSC:JP2
Android version 2.2
Smallbandversion I9000XXJPP
Kernel version 2.6.32.9 (root@SE-S608 #1)
Build nr. FROYO.XWJPA

(I did make a thread about this, though)

Upvote 0

In PDA, I selected the

Upvote 0
Glad you are back in action.
and
How is your battery life? Mine is MUCH worse since 2.2 an I still cannot see what is causing it.

I've found that the new default for wifi is to NEVER sleep! So I changed that.
I'm trying 'spare parts' to spot anything odd - this shows that sensors are in use almost constantly too, though I don't know if thats normal. I have disabled sensor aiding for GPS and my screen is on manual brightness.

Will do a few powecycles to see if it helps.

The browser now seem slower, dunno if its Flash - but i've set plugin to 'on demand' in settings to see if that helps.

I do think Samsung have messed up somewhere and its screwed my previously excellent battery life - 2-3 days looks like it is down to 1 = and froyo was supposed to improve battery life!!!!

Nightmare. Glad you got it fixed. Ive recovered from my huff a bit now and have found that flash player does infact work, it was just the site I was trying or the app that connected me that didnt work. Also froyo is much faster than unlagfixed eclair and if I hadnt done the lagfix before i might be happy with the speed now. the gps though is much worse. Havent had another chance to try anything different like turning off agps. Strangely though my battery seems to last much longer. 72% when i went to bed last night, 71% when i got up 6 hours later. It used to drop about 5%
I've not had chance yet to do any intensive activity on the phone.. Sunday is the day when I help my wife on our farm which normally involves me sorting out the damage her horses cause ~ fixing gates which they often manage to knock down during the week. Later and for a bit of peace and solitude I take the dogs out for a good long walk.
But tonight I have some quality free time and intend to put it to use on the SGS.

So far the battery is about the same... I'll check the Wifi to see if it's operating as you say and have a look at 'Spare-Parts' too.

Glad the 'huffs gone.... I had a good one myself yesterday.
Not checked Flash yet but hoping to use it finally.
GPS seems much better... as mentioned previously SNR's are actually showing less than 20 SNR rated... but will test it out properly later.

Initially all now seems well.... but only time will tell.
Catch you both later. :)

Upvote 0
Here's my short tale:

Phone: Stock Unbranded UK Phone XEU with no root or lagfix ever applied running JM1. GPS usually can initially lock however it is unreliable and does jump around. Slight lag. I wouldn't trust the compass.

After initially having problems with Kies not recognising my phone.
I was finally able to connect after doing a factory reset & reinstalling kies.
After the update I factory resetted my phone.

Froyo has some nice features such as easy text selection, flash support (finally able to watch bbc iplayer!), updated apps.

But after reinstalling my previous apps it the lag is worse than before (I factory resetted the phone a few times - no difference each time). GPS has improved a little bit and on my test run has not jumped around yet but still I don't consider it fixed as it could be better. I still don't trust the compass.

Aside from that it would have been nice if they had updated the Aldiko ebook reader app as well.

Edit:
Battery consumption is slightly higher but not too bad.

Upvote 0
Updated today to 2.2 doing the registry hack, kies gave me the update straight away after my numerous attempts getting "cannot update this device".
I have a SGS sim free unbranded, and now reapplying my apps i'm playing with it and i can say it is much faster, and some nice improvements.
Brian.

Upvote 0
Hey tempest7,
Hong Kong here too and just upgraded to 2.2.
Everything works fine for me except I am having MAJOR issues with Email 2.2. I can download emails but it keeps locking up and sloooows down my SGS until it locks up. I had no issues with Email before the upgrade.
Is Email working for you after the upgrade to froyo? cheers.

After I updated, everything seemed to work fine. Email (both the gmail app and the other email app) seemed to work fine for me. Even my SMS messages seemed to have corrected the random reciever notification problem.

Except I did have a kind of lag issue. Noticeable with my keyboard/swype whenever i was typing. Even after a reboot. Plus Whatsapp had completely died on me.

Another interesting problem was that after I finally managed to root the device, and wanted to apply the lag fix again. My space in /Data had dropped from the usual maybe 1000 out of 1900 free, down to less than 900 free. I couldn't recover the space under /data and eventually I just factory reset the whole thing (cause I had backed up everything and all my contacts are on gmail anyway)

not, factory reset doesn't clear your sd card or 'external sd card'

A lot of people said to just factory reset, and I kind of think it runs smoother now (at least i don't have space magically disappearing) after I've done it. Just a bit more work.

Upvote 0
I have had so many problems trying to update to 2.2 using Kies. I have deleted all files on my SD card which have a file extension of longer than 16 characters - now the ATP Aplication works on my Samsung Galaxy S (instead of doing the looping stop and start), but when I run Kies, there is a bubble in the top right saying "Connecting the device, please wait" although this has been showing now for the last 20 minutes.

I have tried restarting my computer and running "Driver Recovery" in Kies, and also setting the usb mode to Kies, and selecting TW Launcher as default.

My phone just wont connect to Kies :(

Upvote 0
I have had so many problems trying to update to 2.2 using Kies. I have deleted all files on my SD card which have a file extension of longer than 16 characters - now the ATP Aplication works on my Samsung Galaxy S (instead of doing the looping stop and start), but when I run Kies, there is a bubble in the top right saying "Connecting the device, please wait" although this has been showing now for the last 20 minutes.

I have tried restarting my computer and running "Driver Recovery" in Kies, and also setting the usb mode to Kies, and selecting TW Launcher as default.

My phone just wont connect to Kies :(
Don't bother using Kies, use Odin instead.
I had exactly the same problem... In fact Kies temporarily 'bricked' my phone so used Odin to apply the upgrade.
Odin is a great pipeline to do all manner, be that ROM upgrades, Rooting and all.
I simply downloaded Odin then went to samsungfirmware.com, downloaded the ROM file I needed (I'm in the UK so went for the JPO file).

You can find all the information you need here ~ How to use Odin to Upgrade the SGS to Froyo

Upvote 0
When's this shit hitting North America ><

Next year for sure man, by the time 3.0 we will be getting the Froyo everyone wants so badly.

But trust me, 2.2 will be old cave man software once you see 2.3 and 3.0 to be the norm on all newer phones.

And then you will be like, OMG WHERES 2.3? and then OMG WHERE IS 3.0

Well guess what, FORGET IT!

Upvote 0
Next year for sure man, by the time 3.0 we will be getting the Froyo everyone wants so badly.

But trust me, 2.2 will be old cave man software once you see 2.3 and 3.0 to be the norm on all newer phones.

And then you will be like, OMG WHERES 2.3? and then OMG WHERE IS 3.0

Well guess what, FORGET IT!

:(

Rooting is looking like a nicer an nicer idea.

Upvote 0
Okay, this is what I have learned ~ The 'Official' Froyo is available now.
By the 11th Nov ALL SGS phones will have access to the 'Official' Froyo.

Re the Filesystem:
This 'Official' Froyo has alterations (don't know what they are) to the RFS but THIS IS NOT a replacement. That is still in development and should come at a later to be determined date.

5 Days past the deadline and still nothing for North America. :mad:

Earlier today I got a "Your phone can't be updated" message. I felt like it was a special consolation prize, like "You don't have Froyo but here's a different message for you to feel special anyway"... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones