***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Last Updated: 2011-12-15 17:55:59
  1. darejer

darejer Well-Known Member

Funny that you ask that... I just put everything that I want to immediately install in dropbox.com folders (wallpapers, apps, audiobooks, videos, ebooks, ringtones, music, etc...). All that I need is the darn phone and I'm all set. I'm going to be out of town from the 21st to the 26th. If sales begin on 11/21, I'm having the phone next-dayed to where I'm going to be. Now, I don't need a computer to transfer all of my stuff over. Thank you dropbox.com :)

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Just a reminder about advertising, Verizon and the Nexus. I have heard and read multiple times that Google and Samsung have full control over Nexus marketing. I'm not sure if that means that Verizon is not allowed to advertise it or it just means that Google wants to have a say in the when how and why of it. This may be one of the major factors in Verizon not doing what they have done with other phones. That said, I have not seen a commercial for any of the more recent phones other than those for the Razr. We know Verizon is really pushing this, just like they did the Bionic. In the end though, I think Google plans to have a marketing campaign similar to Apple's, if they do anything at all. I think the phone will be advertised as a Google phone first and noted as being on Verizon second, just like Apple does with the iPhone.

My 2 cents anyway.

LOL You should try being a MOD here when your SO has the same views. ;)

EDIT: 410 pages and 20,403 posts to go before the 17th.
    rhietpas and Travillion like this.
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

That's all you could get? ha! That's fanTASTIC! Give this guy a cigar, folks!

[​IMG]
    jmar and Travillion like this.
  4. MoPhoMan

MoPhoMan Well-Known Member

...and training the in-store reps...
  5. skater57

skater57 Well-Known Member

Ya I really don't see this being an "online only" launch they know better
    MoPhoMan likes this.
  6. ruestor

ruestor Well-Known Member

Normally, I would agree with you. However, I posted this conversation because this particular "rep" is well connected and has always been spot on with her information. If you find nothing useful, don't use it. Keep it friendly out there, folks.
  7. darejer

Does unlocking the bootloader and rooting the device, wipe everything that you installed/setup? In other words, should you root your device before installing anything or setting anything up?

The MoDaCo instructions are vague. Only for the GSM model? Better link/instructions/download somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!
  8. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Rooting does NOTHING to your phone except give you access to the phone's "forbidden" system files. It alters nothing, in and of itself. :)
    jdduncan11 likes this.
  9. darejer

It still might be online on the 17th and instore on the 21st or some variation of that?
  10. OfTheDamned

P3 announced a "one click" method for the Verizon model he has today.
    Typically rooting doesn't wipe the phone though.
  11. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Cause dummies like me will have to go there to get it activated.
    MoPhoMan likes this.
  12. darejer

From MoDaCo: "Note: If you are using a retail Galaxy Nexus, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device."
  13. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

I have never seen Verizon advertise the use of third party tethering options. This was in reference to the built in "hotspot" function.
  14. darejer

Do you know where the file/instructions are for that?
  15. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

:eek:

News to me! Rooting sure has changed since the OG Droid! Well, no reason for me to root anyway, unless something really, really bothers me...
  16. vandyman

vandyman Well-Known Member

Nov. 17 online.

Nov. 21 in stores.

^^High light my guess^^
    jmar and SPLover like this.
  17. X24

X24 Well-Known Member

Check the all things root section of this forum ;)
  18. OfTheDamned

The link was posted today in the thread. I can try searching, but I'm on my phone so you can probably search faster than I can.

EDIT: 408 pages and 20,386 posts to go before the 17th.
  19. skater57

skater57 Well-Known Member

That's ok with me
  20. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

That was awesome. Big thanks.
  21. rafier

rafier Well-Known Member

If you got the market for the first app, you get "This item is not available on your carrier"

Classic ban mode, no idea if SGN will be any different than on my OG. :cool:
  22. darejer

I did... just seems like a lot of confusion from everyone in there.
  23. darejer

I don't really care about rooting right out of the box. However, if rooting will require a wipe, then it would be advantageous to do it before installing/setting anything up. Any thoughts?

Unlocking may require the wipe. Rooting requires the unlock. Or so it seems.
  24. OfTheDamned

I can't say that I know much about it to be honest. I just remember seeing it today.

EDIT: 408 pages and 20,380 posts to go before the 17th.
  25. 3vil

3vil Well-Known Member

wrong color... :p
    jbdan and vandyman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.