***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxojr

bxojr Well-Known Member

Y'know, this actually lines up pretty well with the info that came from Steven's source yesterday (I think). If I recall correctly, he said basically that they were shooting for the week of the 21st, but it was still in testing and so it could be later if they found an issue.

Naturally we all seized on the "21st" part ... but if they *did* find an issue, then we've already been told that means a delay.

I don't think it's fair to call the two VZW utilities "bloatware." Bloatware means useless applications put on the phone just because someone paid to have them there. We might not care about these VZW apps, but they're carrier utilities that Verizon provides to all of their customers for account-management purposes. (And this is nothing new: my understanding is that at least some variants of the Nexus S had similar carrier utilities preinstalled.)

It's annoying that something like that could potentially delay the Nexus, but it's unrealistic to think that Verizon would be willing to ship the phone without these apps working.
  2. TheRoosevelt

TheRoosevelt Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I leave the thread for two hours and panic ensues? :confused:

I thought we'd been awesomely positive for the last couple of days and that nothing would get us down now.
    December 8th is... concerning...

I say we wait and chill until the 21st. If we don't hear anything by then, feel free to panic. If stores have already gotten shipments of the Gnex (and we know they have, because some of us have gotten to play with them), how are they going to fix software issues in a way which couldn't be done after launch?

Speaking of which, OTD, did you get a chance to see the Nexus?
  3. harpua

harpua Well-Known Member

it's on their website ffs. sure it wouldn't hurt asking your local rep..but we all know that could wind up with mixed stories
  4. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I agree, this has got to be infuriating Google. Verizon will never again get a Nexus. The sad thing is, it makes me want this phone more, because it will be the only one of its kind, as I can't switch from Verizon.
  5. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

You're missing the point. Who says it's without it? Just bc its not functioning doesn't mean it's without it. Turn on your phone. Set it up. A message is waiting for you that an updated version of your software is available and the phone will reboot. It installs and reboots and Backup Assistant is installed and fixed. Where's the issue? That's how it will be fixed if it's even broken in the first place, which I doubt it is.
  6. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Why would they give Woz a phone if they are in fact delaying the release as far as early/mid December? Did anyone confirm if he was given the GSM or LTE version?

*edit* DOH! ninja'd by brain85 :)
  7. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Bloatware is bloat to some, useful to others. It's like the word "weeds". My wife loves dandelions and I think they're weeds.
  8. GMK83

GMK83 Well-Known Member

Told everyone that Monday wasn't accurate. The 8th has been what I've been hearing for a week now.
  9. brandonhutch

brandonhutch Well-Known Member

Yes, I've READ all of that just as you have. But it doesn't mean jack. Here's a news flash: Not everything you see/read on the web or its various incarnates is true.

AGAIN ... I want the phone also, but you don't see me threatening to cut my wrists because of a delay. If you or anyone else can't wait 3 weeks ( if that even ends up being the case ) for a phone, then you should spend some time in northern Africa ... and then maybe you'll gain some perspective.

Not trying to be high & mighty. Just sayin'.
  10. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Exaggerate much? People just want the damn phone already. And that's the end of this conversation from my side.
  11. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

One would think so, but who knows. :(
  12. Mittar

Mittar Well-Known Member

So, the answer is Northern Africa? Interesting... Will I hear when SGN is releasing in N. Africa?
  13. sneakking

sneakking Well-Known Member

did the og droid have BUA?
  14. hgray

hgray Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to take that in a different direction...
  15. Mittar

Mittar Well-Known Member

deleted... lol
  16. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Oh boy. We're spiraling again.
    SamMax likes this.
  17. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

(I can't believe we're on page 750 of this thread...)

Bear in mind that the nexus may be the first smartphone that some Verizon dumbphone owners buy. In such a case, they're really going to find it helpful to be able to retrieve their contact list data via the Verizon Backup utility. In that respect, I could see them holding off on release if that was one of the apps causing an issue. What better way to turn someone off to a phone on the same carrier than to reveal they can't port their existing data over to it.
  18. statepenn03

statepenn03 Well-Known Member

Why can't Verizon just put their apps in the market like everyone else and release the phone already?
    nbajam, GhostInTheDark and BabyBlues like this.
  19. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

It will be fixed, but it sounds like it is not fixed, or they JUST rolled out the fix, and they have to restart the testing cycle. And the holiday will just extend that cycle's time. I really really really hope this is all just a brilliant BS scheme by a few folks, but it sounds logical.
  20. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Because it's Verizon :)
  21. harpua

harpua Well-Known Member

negative
  22. tluley51

tluley51 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OMG! Yeah, I am looking at it like its an actual phone, when it is just the case...

Someday...:(
  23. mthoren68

mthoren68 Well-Known Member

Your secret is safe with me. As safe as the release date for the Gnex.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.