• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like no GNex today :(
mr__horse.png

Upvote 0
LONG time lurker..finally registered.

Been on ATT for a long time and my Captivate with CM7 battery, was lasting like 4 hours. So I got fed up and decided to use the Rezound/Razr rental program at Verizon.

Went yesterday to our local corp store which is always always a madhouse. You have to sign in and wait for a rep. Told them im here to switch from ATT and rent a Rezound till they get the Nexus. My rep was not very happy. She went and tried to get more info on the Nexus which amounted to nothing. Then they tried to tell me it was a 14 day return policy. Had to tell them..no. Another 5 minutes talking with managers and other reps as they were all clueless about the holiday return policy. (we are talking a big store with 15+ employees on the floor). They finally found out I was right! Guess none of them have looked at their receipts for days. Anyway, switched my number and got a Rezound. Told my rep to call me if she finds out anything about the Nexus.

It's a really fast phone, and the screen is nice. Even with all the crapware they have on it it's WAY faster then my Captivate. I am almost amazed how fast it is. And using real 4g is awesome. Can't believe iv'e been using 3g for so long without switching, it makes the phone so much more usable for websurfing and such.

So now the waiting game. Lets hope for some info from Verizon today!

Welcome to the waiting game!

The Penny Pincher deal on Amazon is for new customers only. Existing customers have to pay $229.

Unless you have a friend that has AT&T or TMo and loves you and will buy the phone using their name, therefore getting you the phone which you can then swap out and put a notsmart phone on the line pay the minimum possible and you still get your new phone. :)

Warm fuzzy cat + purring = zzzzzzzzzz

It's like someone gave me knockout drops. :)

I will refrain from all further comments on this. :D

Upvote 0
I have to say, that Verizon has a way of aggravating people with the way they hold onto information. It was that way with the HTC Incredible. Not the Droid X, but the Incredible. I know there have also been some other instances, like with the Bionic and Thunderbird.

I think I have a suggestion for Verizon. A bit more openness and honesty would help their phone fans stay stable.

Frankly I'm impressed. If one person knows its a secret, two and its not any more. There has got to me more than one person that knows the deal.
With today's economy and job market as is, signing a NDA has must have some real bite.

Reactions: eddieruko
Upvote 0
Heck I cannot remember if ever I've waited two years. One year is more than enough time for technology to evolve. I got the Droid 3 in July and getting the Nexus. If the Nexus comes out on 12/8 I will have had the D3 six months and one day.
Ooh weee! You MUST be rich richman:Dseriously, I don't blame ya...I wish I had it like that, im such a best of the best tech junkie!! That's awesome, sadly for me I probably shouldn't be considering paying full price for the gnex right now, but if I can't get a n early upgrade, I must. Probably shouldn't spend half my time on a forum either but I just can't help it:rolleyes:

What I do is I just turn around and sell them on Ebay. I pay a little bit more out of my pocket each time, but it's not that big of a deal. I will be paying full price for the Nexus, but I will turn around and sell my D3 one ebay. BTW, Richman21 comes from part of my name, and 21 is my lucky/favorite number. Hey today is the 21st, maybe today will be my lucky day!

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

slightly offtopic, maybe but not really. I did some digging because I, like many others, am worried about the double data. Currently have no phone waiting on this...thing. Anyways. Quick google search shows this:

Found this on The Verge's site.

The Verge!

Side note: I'm a semi-lurker...apparently i had a forum account here and forgot. Good morning all my fellow Nexians..may the galaxy be with us soon...

Morning former quasi-lurker. Glad you decided to spend some time with us.

Upvote 0
I'm not defending VZW on this launch- I don't see much excuse for this phone not to be released yet when other countries either already have it or are getting it this week, BUT I have wondered for quite a while whether VZW was being tight lipped because they don't want to risk announcing a release date and then failing ot meet it.

I do agree with that. I do believe that, for whatever reason, they are not confident about the date they can release, so rather than back themselves into a corner, they choose non-committal silence. However, I don't think that strategy is any better than announcing a date you can't meet. A little transparency goes a long way.;)

Reactions: Cam
Upvote 0
I wouldn't hang my hat on said form letter, but I wouldn't dismiss it as lies and propaganda either.

It's not lies, NOTHING in that letter is specific to the GN expect for the one sentence that mentions it. EVERYTHING else is generic and talks about their processes NOT about the GN. I went back and read it again in case I missed something, its even more generic then I thought the first time.

Reactions: Cam
Upvote 0
Wardroid, Thanks for the heads up on the return policy extension. It sounds like that $45 restock fee is a small price to pay to eventually get everything I want. JUst hope it all works out. Might go pick up the Rez today to lock into the DD promo, hope it doesnt backfire on me...

My Incredible is holding strong so I am really in no hurry, otherwise I would be renting a ReZound too. For me it just isnt worth it to set up a phone for a week and then start all over.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
Coming from 2 HTC devices in the past, I certainly wouldn't. It takes forever to get a good AOSP rom on them. CM for the Incredible did work well at the end, but the Thunderbolt has yet to recieve a truly 100% functional AOSP rom. CM 7.1.1 is ok, but its unofficial so you wait months for the changes to move into your build, Liquid Smooth is ... not "smooth" at all for me.

Its sad, I dislike MIUI but its what I'm using at the moment because its the most fluid. Tired of all the screen lag on the other AOSP roms.

Strange you have no luck on Liquid. Have you flashed the latest one over the weekend? It's 3.2 I think...ICS themed, fast as hell. I go back and forth between it and OMFGB, but you're right, I posted about 45 pages ago that the Rezound will probably take a while to get a fully functional AOSP ROM...

Upvote 0
Hey everybody! Long time lurker first time poster. I've been anxiously waiting for the GNex like the rest of you and waiting to replacing my aging HTC Hero which is becoming more and more unusable every day. It's still running stock because I'm not as techy as some of you and have never tried rooting.

Do you things think I should just try to root my Hero, go rent a Razr or be patient and hope I don't kill someone because my phone made me rage?

~Skryre

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
OK, so perhaps implying that he's high up the food chain was an overstatement, but "Steve Schwed, Executive Relations Supervisor" sounds like he's at least an official mouth-piece for the higher-ups at VZW.

I'm not defending VZW on this launch- I don't see much excuse for this phone not to be released yet when other countries either already have it or are getting it this week, BUT I have wondered for quite a while whether VZW was being tight lipped because they don't want to risk announcing a release date and then failing ot meet it.

It may be that they want to push the Razr and Rezound a little longer as part of their marketing/sales strategy, or it may just be that they don't know the exact date that they'll be ready to launch the GNex.

JMHO... whatever the reason, I want my GNex now! lol

Schweddy balls?

mod note to other mods - for those on staff unfamiliar, this humor is in-bounds as an innuendo made popular on a late-night comedy show - and is even one of the named flavors for the US' Ben&Jerry Ice Cream brand - so this one is ok per EM

Upvote 0
May be wrong, but I also think you have 1 exchange if you're not happy with your device, free of charge. That may work for you coming from another carrier, they'd want you to be happy...Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm almost positive there is a restocking fee of $35 when you use that "free" exchange. I have, however, been successful in having them waive that fee ONCE, when my son decided a mere 48 minutes into his new phone that he didn't like it.

Reactions: burntorangefan
Upvote 0
Except the testers are saying its good to go. And other than the volume bug, which if current reasoning behind is true, won't even affect us, there hasn't been a major issue reported with the phone.

I did have one thought. Maybe Verizon isn't holding it because they want to sell more RAZRs and Rezounds, maybe they are holding it until those sales slow down a little, to even out its store and website traffic. It is also possible they were worried about overloading their CSRs with three vastly different smartphones all being released at once. Just thinking here.
Could be.

Personally, I believe that the GNex is probably good to go in terms of bugs/testing, based on the leaks we've received and other information I've seen.

However, I work for a large bureaucratic organization, and where I work, after testing is complete on a new piece of equipment, it can take quite a while to get the test results staffed up for review and certification by the proper authority. I have little doubt that the hold up (if there is one) is on the VZW corporate side of things... the exact reason for that hold up remains in doubt, and we may never know.

Upvote 0
The 256 MB limatation is on my OG Droid that I currently have and using. I plan to use it as a wi-fi only device when I get the SGN.

The OTG problems are being discuses over at xda-developers: [Q] Usb host on the go - xda-developers
Yeah, I'm on an OG Droid as well and have been constantly frustrated with the low app space; I got a little worried at the possibility that the Nexus might not be any better in that department. Phew. And thanks for the OTG link, I'll check that out ASAP.

Upvote 0
I can't take this anymore.....my incredible is running fine but they just turned 4G on last week in my town and I want to experience it! I will never buy another motorola phone until they started unlocking bootloaders, and I like my incredible but only because I am running an AOSP Rom with no sense and that will be quite awhile until one of those is running stable on the rezound and i really hate sense. SOOOOOO I am stuck waiting but verizon are being their usual d-bag selves and delaying delaying delaying with no info what so ever

Upvote 0
just a random fact about the phone I found out today, I believe you guys have heard of Gorilla's latest glass technology, "Lotus Glass"? I may be wrong in this, but apparently according to this the "fortified glass" on the GNex IS Lotus Glass. If it is indeed true, GNex is the first phone to be equipped with the Lotus Glass, in fact I think it was before they coin the name Lotus Glass. That explains the scratch test I believe? :D

Lotus glass how cool sounding is that!

Well, at least Samsung will acknowledge the Nexus when you ask them about it. The "stay tuned" part has me optimistic that something is coming sooner rather than later. Not sure why, just my feeling.

response.jpg

Thx for posting this

Except the testers are saying its good to go. And other than the volume bug, which if current reasoning behind is true, won't even affect us, there hasn't been a major issue reported with the phone.

I did have one thought. Maybe Verizon isn't holding it because they want to sell more RAZRs and Rezounds, maybe they are holding it until those sales slow down a little, to even out its store and website traffic. It is also possible they were worried about overloading their CSRs with three vastly different smartphones all being released at once. Just thinking here.

While no one is certain, of course right, this is very logical and I concur.

btw 5 year old and a perfect spiral that's awesome!

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm on an OG Droid as well and have been constantly frustrated with the low app space; I got a little worried at the possibility that the Nexus might not be any better in that department. Phew. And thanks for the OTG link, I'll check that out ASAP.

Hoping that USB OTG is figured out soon -- seems people are trying to figure out if the microUSB port is giving out voltage over the correct pins via keyboard/mouse and just not mounting the USB drive correctly. Someone already had the idea of writing a Gscript to mount the flash drive but just waiting for the person with a Nexus and OTG cable to answer.

Schweddy balls?

The Ben & Jerry's flavor isn't as good as I expected. :p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones