• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news! :D
Perma-Root Achieved On Galaxy Nexus Thanks To Superboot | xda-developers

edit: oh...
sad_ninja.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how many of you have been through a phone launch like this or a major OS update before. The reason I bring it up has to do with the overall mentality and mood of this type of thread and this type of forum.

Many of us have been through this before and while I'd like to say it gets easier or that we become more patient, it doesn't and we don't. We all tend to get a little frustrated from time to time. We get the feeling that someone (Google/Carrier/Manufacturer) is being the bad guy. We get mad at each and every one of them and we make comments about quitting or canceling. Some will move on to other phones or even other OSs because of these things and others will wait. People will get mad at sources of information for being wrong or even for being right about things we don't want to hear. People will hear about problems with hardware and software. All of this is pretty standard believe it or not. It has happened in many of the greatly anticipated phones as well as many anticipated OS updates.

The important thing to remember in all of this is that the person posting above or below you is not who you are mad at really. You may get frustrated with what they are saying, but they are in the same boat you are and they have the same feelings that you do. Even the "evil 3" aren't out to get anyone or somehow screw anyone over. They are in this to make and sell products to get money and nothing more.

So, as I have said numerous times in this thread, and others like it, I remind you to relax and keep your head. Don't turn a friend into an enemy or make the mistake of misunderstandings someone's words simply because they are in black and white and not full of the same expression found in the spoken word. Don't be mad at someone for changing their mind or deciding they can't wait any longer. Appreciate the little things that occur and find humor in the bad things. Love the fact that you have hundreds to thousands of Android brothers and sisters that understand and can appreciate your pain. :D

Upvote 0
i know we're over 43K posts, but a Color Me Badd and Hanson reference in the same thread?! argh.... ;)

OTD, Steven and Early - how does one go about petitioning for User Guidelines to include an immediate banning for any boy-band reference?? :D

Truly, this is the best of all possible worlds.

Wasn't that the period when they cracked the human genome, and boy bands roamed the earth?

Exactly.

Upvote 0
I need an intervention here, I think.

After reading the Droid-Life headline about the volume issue possibly being hardware... It may have finally brought me to the edge.

I'm seriously thinking about using my upgrade on an iPhone 4S.

I've always had Android smartphones, but I do own an iPad... I've never, not even once, considered abandoning my beloved mobile OS when it came to phones... until now. It's just too much... the wait... the problems... I'M HAVING A CRISIS HERE.

Don't do it.

There, crisis averted.

EDIT: 100 posts!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Reactions: TheRoosevelt
Upvote 0
I don't think this really confirms it's hardware. Lotta radio and other signalling things that can be adjusted with firmware/software that might solve this. Definitely confirmation this one odd issue though!!

at the very low level of hardware, the contacts have to connect for so many cpu cycles before a button press is registered. At least that's how it was in my EE classes in College. This is needed be cause contacts aren't perfectly flat at the microscopic level, and without using a "Clock cycles to register" mechanism, there would be a ton of phantom "button Presses" when pressing a button.

It's possible that modifying some of these settings in the firmware could solve it, but either way. I'm not too thrilled about it.

Hope that makes sense. It does to me...but I wrote it :)

Upvote 0
That's a problem that I really don't want to deal with. I will say this, if I waited this long to get a phone only for it to have an issue like this I will be PISSED. I would like to know how something like this got passed all of the people testing the phone.

Yeah, radio interference is a huge thing for the FCC, anytime you read an FCC warning, that is the main point, it must not give off any radio signals which can cause a problem, and it must take all radio signals without causing a problem. If you are able to bring another phone near it and cause a problem... well, thats a big problem.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
The 17th seemed definite too as well as the 21st. I take what your sister says to be the truth but let's hope VZW doesn't pull a fast one.

Why does it always seem like we're ALWAYS about 2 weeks away?!?!? Lol.

Verizon you suck!!!! Lol again Han I believe your sister I just don't trust VZW. I can just see it now. Some.moron executive at VZW says " let's release the GNex on December 31st at 11:59:58pm. That's later this year and it would be the first new phone of the year if we stall the first purchase until 12 am.

I HATE YOU VERIZON
You may want to read this post.

Looks like I will be getting the Rezound on the 26th of this month so I can return it when the nexus comes out....if I even want it now if it has issues.....
Well, it seems to stand to reason that the US delay is caused by Verizon wanting to fix the issues that have arisen. However, the volume problem from the UK shouldn't affect LTE users anyway (assuming it's not a hardware issue). Further, things like the auto-brightness have already had fixes issued from the XDA forum, check back for links in this thread.

Upvote 0
There is a way around that restocking fee. Tell them there is something wrong with the phone and you want to exchange it for a Nexus. They wont charge the restocking fee when there is a problem with the phone.

VZW: "Whats wrong with the phone?"
YOU: "It's defective"
VZW: "Defective? Whats the problem?"
YOU: "Its not a Galaxy Nexus"
VZW: :rolleyes: :thinking: :eek: :mad:

Upvote 0
There is a way around that restocking fee. Tell them there is something wrong with the phone and you want to exchange it for a Nexus. They wont charge the restocking fee when there is a problem with the phone.

Not true unless that was changed recently. I was charged a restocking fee when my radio died the first week of ownership on the Palm Pre. I took it back and told them what was wrong and that I had spent hours on the phone with tech support and now questioned the quality of Palm products and no longer wanted anything made by them and wanted to swap for a Droid. Was charged restocking fee anyway.

Upvote 0
I need an intervention here, I think.

After reading the Droid-Life headline about the volume issue possibly being hardware... It may have finally brought me to the edge.

I'm seriously thinking about using my upgrade on an iPhone 4S.

I've always had Android smartphones, but I do own an iPad... I've never, not even once, considered abandoning my beloved mobile OS when it came to phones... until now. It's just too much... the wait... the problems... I'M HAVING A CRISIS HERE.

You should get what makes you happy or what you think is going to make you happy. No one here can "sell you" a phone or "sway" you to one side. Don't let them. I think Apple makes outstanding devices they are just not for me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones