• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is just too interesting.

When I go to VZW website and type prime in the search it brings me right to the Galaxy Nexus signup page, but if i type in nexus it gives me the search list of all the phones that are not nexus obviously and the Galaxy Nexus Above just like before.

Could it be the name change at the last minute that's what causing the delay in the box remake? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Whats with all the talk about renting phones and the return policy?:thinking:

Is it supposed to be cool these days to rip Verizon off by depreciating one of their devices just because you want a new phone right now while you wait for the GN?:thinking:

I seem to understand this forum does not condone discussion of tethering via hacking ware. Is this not some kind of Mal method or procedure?

To me getting a device just so one can play with it will cause more harm than good. After they have had enough Verizon will just massage their return policy to the point that folks with legit reason's for returning a device will suffer. And I will not blame Verizon for doing it.

My guess is they will shorten it by 5 day first.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I 99% agree with you and am having an moral dilemma myself with this one.

In my opinion, there are special circumstances.

1. Your phone is dead or dying (not my case), if you need a phone now, and the one you want isn't available, is it justifiable? Maybe. Why spend $100+ on a used phone, then $300+ in 2 weeks, or tomorrow, or who knows when?

2. In my case, I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. I want to take advantage of the double data deal. Verizon won't tell me when it ends. If they said... DD promo goes until 1/1, I'd hold out, no doubt about it. But, with speculation that it ends as early as tomorrow, I am contemplating the rental.

Again, ethically, it bothers me. Businesses are what make America "GO" and too many feel that they are entitled to take advantage of the "haves" just because. It's certainly not right, but, good business practice doesn't leave loyal customers in the dark. When people feel like they are being taken advantage of, they naturally will want to fight back. (and as you mention, it works both ways and VZW will likely take a hard look at their return policy if enough people "rent" this holiday season)

Upvote 0

Is it supposed to be cool these days to rip Verizon off by depreciating one of their devices just because you want a new phone right now while you wait for the GN?:thinking:

I seem to understand this forum does not condone discussion of tethering via hacking ware. Is this not some kind of Mal method or procedure?

To me getting a device just so one can play with it will cause more harm than good. After they have had enough Verizon will just massage their return policy to the point that folks with legit reason's for returning a device will suffer. And I will not blame Verizon for doing it.

Normally, I would whole-heartedly agree with you, however Verizon has pushed me to my limit and past. They go into these type of Holiday return deals with their eyes wide open. They know they will get some "rentals" but on the whole they will make money as more people will feel comfortable buying phones as gifts knowing they can be returned if necessary.

I view this as an opportunity to show Verizon that their customer base is extremely upset that they elected not to release a Samsung Galaxy S II and then paid for exclusivity on the Nexus and are approaching the point of holding it hostage so other US carriers can't offer it.

Hopefully they will see the massive "rental" program as a message that their customer are tired of their delays and lack of communication. I doubt it, but I'm sure not feeling guilty about renting my RAZR.

Reactions: nexusprimepls
Upvote 0

SNIP

My VZW rep at the local store actually suggested that to me...which does not indicate that it is company endorsed but he said that many of his co-workers are doing the same thing.

Upvote 0
I 99% agree with you and am having an moral dilemma myself with this one.

In my opinion, there are special circumstances.

1. Your phone is dead or dying (not my case), if you need a phone now, and the one you want isn't available, is it justifiable? Maybe. Why spend $100+ on a used phone, then $300+ in 2 weeks, or tomorrow, or who knows when?

2. In my case, I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. I want to take advantage of the double data deal. Verizon won't tell me when it ends. If they said... DD promo goes until 1/1, I'd hold out, no doubt about it. But, with speculation that it ends as early as tomorrow, I am contemplating the rental.

Again, ethically, it bothers me. Businesses are what make America "GO" and too many feel that they are entitled to take advantage of the "haves" just because. It's certainly not right, but, good business practice doesn't leave loyal customers in the dark. When people feel like they are being taken advantage of, they naturally will want to fight back. (and as you mention, it works both ways and VZW will likely take a hard look at their return policy if enough people "rent" this holiday season)

I think it is acceptable in all situations except the "I want to screw Verizon" one. Even if you don't need a phone, have unlimited data, and are nearly 100% sure you want the nexus, if you want to try out one of the R phones, I say go for it. You might decide you like it better, or realize why the GNex is your first choice. Just don't do it out of spite.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Galaxy Nexus Camera Application Tour - YouTube

..front facing camera records 720p. I'm sure it's known on this thread but in my day to day, no one believed me! I couldn't find where I'd heard it before (I thought it was the announcement) to prove it - but there it is.

:)

That's pretty crazy when you think about it. This device is so worth the wait.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

I agree that the idea of "renting" a phone seems somewhat ethically ambiguous. I also believe that, if the practice were to become widespread, eventually Verizon would institute a policy change that would have a negative effect on all customers.

I am still on my Eris, which is painfully slow, horribly outdated, and, frankly, boring. But it still does its essential task, which is why I would not consider "renting".

I do have some sympathy for those who have phones that are dying, and who need functionality, but are committed to the GN. I am not sure what I would do in their situation.

But, alas, I will suffer with slowness until the GN release.

Upvote 0
Whats with all the talk about renting phones and the return policy?

This is the #1 reason for me, Im not trying to screw Verizon, Im trying to become a customer and figure out the overlap between the end of the DD Plan, Return Policy, and the Release date. So these three unanswered dates, rumors, and speculations are pretty important to me.

Upvote 0

I tend to agree with this. I am on an Eris. It barely turns on without a reboot loop. My battery gets 8 hours if I'm lucky/don't use it. It's slow, it FCs all the time. But I wouldn't feel right going into a store, 'renting' a Rezound knowing I would be returning it in a couple weeks.

I don't have a particular love for Verizon... but even if the GNex was delayed because of bad business planning (i.e. competition with the Razr) renting a phone won't hurt Verizon in the end. If Verizon gets a bunch of barely used Razrs returned when the GNex comes out, they will have to sell them as "refurbished" and take a hit on the value of the phone. If the amount of returns and losses on the phone affects their profits in any noticeable way (since the acquisition of Motorola Mobility), they are going to recoup their losses... which means cost cutting or raising prices. That hurts the consumer. And that's in addition to the potential return policy changes Gapi mentioned.

On top of that, all these extra returns on Android devices hurt the reputation of the platform as a whole.

Verizon is a business and they will always find a way to come out on top. It may cost you $35 to return your rental, but everyone else will be paying for it as well.

Upvote 0
Morning all.

I definitely need to stay up later so I have less to catch up with in the morning, so chatty during the night. So nothing really new overnight except those BB ads which someone said were from a November issue that were scrapped.

Hoping to see something PR related today from Verizon - fingers crossed on that. I'll also be lurking over at XDA and cross-posting any info I find from there for you guys.

Upvote 0
Hey everybody, first time poster :) I've been following this thread some several thousand messages ago haha.

So I was inspired by Hansolo and wrote Verizon execs and I actually got a phone call back! (Not much about the Nexus, to skip straight to that, jump below) I wrote not just about the Nexus but...

• My Droid's service has diminished since the installation of 4g in our area.
  • $300 for a phone that only lasts 18 out of the 24 months of a contract is total crap. My OG Droid is on its last leg. Phones' lifespans should last considerably longer for the price we pay.
  • My phone has an ever increasing number of problems as it ages.
  • The Bionic, and now Nexus, release fiascoes are ridiculous.
I didn't get much of a response but wanted to go ahead and share. YES, a CS rep, Ron T., from the executive's office did call me back. That in and of itself is impressive. Nice to see a company caring enough to call me. But honestly that's as good as it got.

I didn't get anything like Hansolo (no $50 credit, no offer for a replacement phone, etc, I've been a customer for 10+ yrs) The real sad thing about it is that they never once even said something like "I'm sorry sir, is there anything we can do to improve your experience?" They never once just offered to help, in any way. Just a simple "I'm sorry, what can I do?" That should be minimal, standard Customer Service. While the guy was friendly, he pretty much just gave me the... This is how it is, deal with it approach. The most "helpful" thing he mentioned was reminding me I could use my warranty replacement policy (which I pay 6.99 for) to get a new phone. That's it.

I appreciate Verizon getting back with me. They said they understand my concern. But they never offered any help with an appology. In the end I don't know that it made any bit of a difference. There was no pledge to improve the service coverage experience. I was told prices and plans aren't changing and they only "hope" the quality of technology improves. They're doing what they can about the Nexus.

Nexus info: The only thing the guy mentioned was he hadn't heard about any problems causing a delay (not so sure that I believe him there). The volume bug in the UK is tied to the radios and frequency over there, theoretically shouldn't have any impact in the US. And they'll release it by Christmas. It isn't much of anything, but it's what I got.

In short, I thank them for the call, but they really did nothing in the line of caring to make sure my experience with them is a positive one. Thanks for nothing VZ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones