• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Cloud" is great... IF you can get to it! What if you're somewhere with no connectivity? Can I not listen to my music, view my videos & movies or pics? That's the whole point of an SDcard. And yes, I keep my card backed up religiously because yes, they DO fail and yes, mine DID fail.

Second this. I have movies loaded on my phone for the kids to watch at a resturant, for example. Tried the cloud thing, and sometimes there was no connectivity.

Unfortunately, a 2yo doesn't understand bad reception. They only care when the video from youtube doesn't play.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You know you can choose to upload at full resolution.

I have an eye-fi card for my Nikon dSLR. I copy the pics to my Tab, upload them to Picasa at full-res then delete from the Tab, and the still have them nicely in my gallery. :) I still back up the pics to my computer and back-up drives from the eye-fi card when I get to a PC, but I find Picasa very handy.

ETA: I understand not everyone has either mobile or wifi access all the time. I use Amazon Mp3 but with both that and Google Music you can choose to download music to the device too, so you have it when you don't have reception- and you can rotate through which music you download. I'm going on a cruise, for example, and don't want to pay international roaming so I will download some things. but I don't have to store *everything* in my libraries on my phone/tab that way.

Upvote 0
This is a good question. I want to be able to flash ROMS to this. Say I back up everything to Titanium Backup, won't it still get wiped?

I don't believe so. I rooted the GF's Nexus S last week, completely wiped everything from recovery and flashed CM7 on it... and everything on the internal "SD card" storage was left intact. It should be completely separate and will not be wiped when you flash a new ROM.

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
*Edit: See below, these are not new photos, and the backside one is of the Nexus S.*

Finally! We get to see the back of it! <assuming it's legit>

Nexus Prime hits Singaporean retail site with pics galore | News | TechRadar UK

nexusprime-728-75.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't know about that last part. I play with my wifes Iphone 4 for 2-3 hours (games, etc) and It uses 20-30% max. I am talking not putting it down for at least 2 hours.

I only say this b/c it is the ONLY reason I am considering a move to IOS.

Let's assume you are correct and it lasts 10% per hour. You'll get low battery at 30%. So 7 hrs, full use. By all reports, this is 5-6hrs, full use.

It's better, but not drastically better. And you'll give up a lot of hardware to get that.

Choice is yours.

Upvote 0
you can. the problem i assume he's talking about is the auto back up feature in google+. those photo's are limited in size. maybe we'll get an update allowing us to upload the full resolution picture?

I've never uploaded from my phone because I barely take pics on the phone, and they are usually for remember to buy things at a store.

Update: I just went to my Gallery app, and shared a pic through picasa and it uploaded the full resolution image fine in a new album.

As an aside. I don't really use G+, I just got it so I could give others invites. I'm not a fan of how G+ photos kind of replaced picasa unless you manally type in picasaweb.google.com instead of photos.google.com.

Upvote 0
That site is likely fake. Notice the 2/3 pics are from already leaked photos. I'm willing to bet the third pic of the back is fake or of a different device

Agreed. The second pic doesn't look like the same shape as the first (different aspect ratios, different curves on edges) but that could also be an optical illusion due to different shot angles.

Upvote 0
Hey all, I wanted to suggest a better way to reload pages that doesn't hammer the AF servers as hard and is actually a little faster too.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-prim...rs-thread-updated-specs-10-11-a-new-post.html

That's the same link you get in email notifications of updates to this thread. If you bookmark that link exactly as written (including the a-new-post.html part at the end), then revisiting the bookmark will always take you to the first post in the thread since the last time you loaded the page. In Firefox you can put the link on your toolbar and have it always clickable.

The advantage over F5 is that F5 (refresh or reload page) forces the browser to throw out and then re-download all of the dozens of little graphic images all over the page, as well as any scripts and stylesheets -- all stuff that rarely changes and is otherwise cached by the browser.

Maybe this won't make a huge difference, but w/the bazillion of viewers of this thread, it couldn't hurt!

Upvote 0
It's not necessarily software, it's hardware. 1.5GHz, Super bright HD screens, 4G radios, Wifi, etc. All that takes power. No amount of software optimization is going to help that.

Apple addresses the issue by using underclocked hardware (800MHz A5), with small screens (higher resolution, but less backlight), no 4G radios, etc. Couple that with a non-removable battery that they can make bigger (because of the sealed nature), and you have a device that can marginally last longer than current phones. I say marginally, because you can easily kill an iPhone 4 in a few hours too. iOS may run a little more efficient on slower hardware than Android, but it still has battery issues as well.

Software optimization is a part of the equation. Push notifications are an example of software optimization that improve battery life. Juice defender can turn off WiFi when you are not connected to a WiFi network but the phone doesn't do this naively. Yes, there are ways to improve battery life by improving the software. A big reason the iPhone has great battery life is because it doesn't support true multitasking. While multitasking is a plus, it does drain more of your battery. Can multitasking not be any more efficient?

Stock TBolt owners don't get the battery life I do on or off of 4G...and I'm running @ 1.8GHz. What is the difference? Software.

But in my post, I was actually referring to battery innovation. When was the last time we had any major advancements in batteries for cell phones?...Lithium Ion? With all the "go green" hype in the world...I'm surprised we haven't tried to "save the polar bear" floating on the melting iceberg yet.

But that's why I said we will have to wait and see what the actual usage looks like. I can live with 5-6 hours of constant use if it yields good standby times. People want to know that if they have 30 percent battery life left, it will last them a long time if they don't use their phone. So many phones will go from 30% to dead quickly without touching the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting new battery tech to be in the Prime. But if it is 2000mAh or bigger and battery life sucks...that's not very promising. If they only put a 1700mAh battery in it...why?

Upvote 0
I hope it lasts forever. Just know at some point, Verizon will make some change and we'll have to switch plans.

cue Verizon sales rep:
Oh, if you want that phone, you'll have to change plans to the Nationwide 5G data plan. I can make that change right now for you. It even costs the same. Act now, and we'll even throw in 5 extra free text messages.

Clueless customer:
Great. Let's do it.

Meanwhile, they don't tell you you've just lost unlimited data.

Upvote 0
Let's assume you are correct and it lasts 10% per hour. You'll get low battery at 30%. So 7 hrs, full use. By all reports, this is 5-6hrs, full use.

It's better, but not drastically better. And you'll give up a lot of hardware to get that.

Choice is yours.

Fair enough, I took 5-6 hours top as in with normal use. 5-6 hours of nonstop use would be the best Android phone I have used to date. Shoot I had the T-bolt and I took it off the charger sent a text drove to work and it was a t 70% no joke. Needless to say I got rid of it that day as I read similar reports.

My Inc is not at 20 % right now after taking off the charger at about 5:30 to what I would say is very light use. That is unacceptable IMO. I took my wifes phone to work by accident and didn't use it at all (although it was on the whole day and did receive e-mails, texts, etc) and it was at 82% when I got home. My phone is at 90% before I leave the house.

Upvote 0
Agreed. The second pic doesn't look like the same shape as the first (different aspect ratios, different curves on edges) but that could also be an optical illusion due to different shot angles.

I recall a post yesterday noting that that whole Singapore store thing was just pulling from that (discredited?) video and slapping at specs.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-prim...ad-updated-specs-10-11-a-132.html#post3314223

And agree - looks mighty Nexis S-ish to me as well. ;) :D

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
The &quot;Cloud&quot; is great... IF you can get to it! What if you're somewhere with no connectivity? Can I not listen to my music, view my videos &amp; movies or pics? That's the whole point of an SDcard. And yes, I keep my card backed up religiously because yes, they DO fail and yes, mine DID fail.

yep. I'm out of the country now with crappy wifi. I fly on planes regularly without wifi. We also often rent islands with zero connectivity. I should be able to listen to my music in these situations. 32gb sd card is a must for me.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting new battery tech to be in the Prime. But if it is 2000mAh or bigger and battery life sucks...that's not very promising. If they only put a 1700mAh battery in it...why?

I don't know if/how this applies, but fwiw, I've got a 1750mAh battery in my 3D, and even with Sense and the way I run things, it's a champ.

Dual cores are/can be a big efficiency boost - just saying... hoping for the best here. :eek:

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
That site is likely fake. Notice the 2/3 pics are from already leaked photos. I'm willing to bet the third pic of the back is fake or of a different device

The back of that phone looks a lot (okay...exactly) like the Nexus S...

Edit: Sorry...saw xtop said this first. I'm trying to catch up to the thread LOL.

Edit2: Yeah...and EM as well. Man I read slow or people post fast...maybe a combination of the two! :D

Reactions: Namrak
Upvote 0
Software optimization is a part of the equation. Push notifications are an example of software optimization that improve battery life. Juice defender can turn off WiFi when you are not connected to a WiFi network but the phone doesn't do this naively. Yes, there are ways to improve battery life by improving the software. A big reason the iPhone has great battery life is because it doesn't support true multitasking. While multitasking is a plus, it does drain more of your battery. Can multitasking not be any more efficient?

Stock TBolt owners don't get the battery life I do on or off of 4G...and I'm running @ 1.8GHz. What is the difference? Software.

But in my post, I was actually referring to battery innovation. When was the last time we had any major advancements in batteries for cell phones?...Lithium Ion? With all the "go green" hype in the world...I'm surprised we haven't tried to "save the polar bear" floating on the melting iceberg yet.

But that's why I said we will have to wait and see what the actual usage looks like. I can live with 5-6 hours of constant use if it yields good standby times. People want to know that if they have 30 percent battery life left, it will last them a long time if they don't use their phone. So many phones will go from 30% to dead quickly without touching the phone.

Yeah, battery technology hasn't had any real breakthroughs. Maybe someday soon. The person that comes up with something revolutionary will be quite rich, so I'm sure plenty of people are working on it.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones