• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would really like to (metaphorically) put a gun to someone's head at Verizon and make them explain their insistence re: the bloatware. I understand them putting it on their so people see it, though to me it's no better than junk mail. What I don't understand is not allowing people to remove it. For those who understand (a growing number), it unnecessarily uses system resources. People who don't want to use it are not going to use it just because Verizon won't let them remove it. At best they ignore it and at worst they resent Verizon's insistance and possibly go to another carrier. Where is the upside for Verizon?

Bloatware = money.

Would I love the brick wall behind home plate at Wrigley Field to be ad-free? Of course. But it's not, because it makes them a lot of money.
Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. do the same for Verizon.

Upvote 0
First of all i dont know if they have Welcomed you all to the SAMSUNG GALAXY forum side.

So welcome to the DARK SIDE LUCK.

And now after a long month of waiting, even i will wait abit more, here we are trying to find if GALAXY nexus worth to buy VS the GALAXY Note or the GALAXY S2. :p
I know, I know it is off topic. Or it isnt ??????

S2 a 6 month old Phone with no HD and a SMALL display MUHAHAHAHAHAH. But with 1.2 GHz cpu and at the lowest price to buy atm 439 Euro.

Note a phone that should be geting to the market in few days, if samsung desides to release it, because she withdraw it from her SITE in Germany 7 days ago, it was at 699Euro. with the 5.3" HD Display and the 1.5GHz CPU

and last but not least the Nexus, we all where waiting a middle HD Display from the other 2 and a 1.2 Ghz CPU and ICS on frst release. price range for it i speculate from 599-649 euro, Samsung PRICE for Germany.:mad:

so now for the cheaper phone you got the S2 with lower Speca then the other 2, and no ICS. for Hardware Phone i would Say the NOTE but with to BIG Display, Casing, and no ICS. and at end Nexus it has ICS does it have anything else worth ?? ohh yes HD Display.:cool:

SO to Sume up wich phone you should get

SAMSUNG RELEASE the S2 HD LTE :rolleyes:(even i dont care of the LTE ) on the REST of the world. I CAN WAIT for ICS. not a fan of untested software, i dont got the nervs to wait the flaws to get fixed, i do like to get a software that it is out and got some tests-months. you can ALLWAYS upgrade your software but never the DOWNGRADE.;)

myhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n93HrRfw4lg

HuH?

Upvote 0
Bloatware = money.

Would I love the brick wall behind home plate at Wrigley Field to be ad-free? Of course. But it's not, because it makes them a lot of money.
Blockbuster, Netflix, etc. do the same for Verizon.

I just want VZW to quit being a device p1mp for EVERY device on their network. Allow devices on their network they do not control 100% marketing availability and all!

Upvote 0
sooooo.....the android beam thing is a total gimmick to me. ....if you have this phone...how many other people around you are going to have the same phone that you can beam stuff too?

True, but I think all first steps are "gimmicks", because they're the only ones with it. Google Wallet, for now, is a gimmick until more banks jump in and people that don't have a Citi Mastercard can join in on the fun. But that will happen, and it will be a lot more widened out.

I think the beam thing will be awesome once other devices get on board. I just would like for it to eventually support transfer across multiple platforms. Most of my friends and my wife have iPhones. I'd like to be able to share pictures, movies, web pages across to them as well. Maybe in a future update that will be possible.

Upvote 0
Good morning, fellow droidaholics. When I made my post last night suggesting that we're on the tail end of 45nm processors there were some other considerations going on my mind that I failed to mention. Deepest apologies. Let's get to it, shall we?

1)The OG Droid used a 65nm OMAP3430 and was released October 2009. The Droid 3 uses a 45nm OMAP4430 and was released on July 2011. So using these reference points we see that it takes ~1.5 years for a device to come along that incorporates a smaller processor. You can do your own research and perhaps you'll find better reference points but I think you'll find that this leap in technology is still somewhere around 1.5 years. This should also sound familiar to those who watch advances in desktop processors as well.

Now, the natural conclusion here is: "Well, PowerCosmic, you're saying that Texas Instruments' 45nm processor is relatively new to market. Wouldn't that mean that they're not going to put out a 28nm processor for quite some time?"

Sadly, for TI, that's true but I'm actually not trying to focus on Texas Instruments here. Those are just concrete examples to illustrate the time span it generally takes before a smaller architecture comes along. The fact of the matter is TI is pretty far behind the curve. That OMAP4460 in the Galaxy Nexus may be new to end users but the 45nm technology in general is pretty darn old.

2)Qualcomm has been ~1 year ahead of the curve. The first major device to use their 45nm processor was the Dezire Z/G2 in November 2010. So when Qualcomm says that they have 28nm processor coming in H1 of 2012 they're probably not kidding. Qualcomm claims in several articles to already have sent this technology to phone manufacturers.

3)There's not really any other large advances in micro-architecture on the horizon. Oh sure, there's claims that we might see 4 cores by the end of 2012/beginning of 2013 but as far as processors getting smaller, 28nm is it; certainly for the remainder of 2013 (as illustrated above).

4)CES is in the beginning of January. This will be the moment of truth. You can get your Galaxy Nexus in November or you can wait a mere 3 months to see if 28nm devices truly are only a few months away.

In summation:
-It takes about 1.5 years for a new micro-architecture to come along.
-The first major Android devices with the "current" micro-architecture (45nm) were released about a year ago.
-The Galaxy Nexus uses this architecture and is being released next month.
-Android devices using the next generation of micro-architecture (28nm) will undoubtedly be showcased at CES in January.

Again, I'm not advocating the waiting game. I'm saying that by looking at the past we can observe cycles. One cycle is quite clearly on it's way out and the new cycle should be starting up in the next few months.
That's all I have to say on this for now. ICS looks cool, the connectivity sure is neat, but if I'm going to spend that much money I'm personally going to wait for refreshed hardware.

Here's a useful chart that kind of summarizes my point rather neatly:
AnandTech - Qualcomm's New Snapdragon S4: MSM8960 & Krait Architecture Explored

Reactions: dgold82
Upvote 0
sooooo.....the android beam thing is a total gimmick to me. ....if you have this phone...how many other people around you are going to have the same phone that you can beam stuff too?

Agreed. I'm not sure how much different "Beaming" is than "Bump" an app that has been on the market for a long time. It's something that you can "show off" with but nothing truly real world yet. They said as much last night. It's just a new piece of their platform that they are excited to see what DEVELOPERS will do with it. It's like they are saying, here's a new toy, go play and see what you can build.

On a totally unrelated note, I've heard that iOS 5.2 for the iPhone 5 will come with a fantastic new never before seen or heard of feature that will actually let you transfer contacts, data, music, locations AND apps by simply holding two iPhones near each other. They are going to call it "blip".:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I'm new to this part of the forum (I'm kind of in love with HTC phones), but I was wondering if you guys knew which service this was coming to (hopefully VZW). I'm really interested in this thing now that I've seen some info on it and I'm trying to decide if I want to try this or the HTC Vigor/Rezound. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

**Also, Nice to see you around Steven, I remember seeing many posts from you when the Incredible was about to be released**

I'm in the same boat as you, man and I've got to admit...I think I'm swaying towards this phone. Maybe even just for a change of pace and the sweet ICS. Talk me out of it, man!!! HAHA.

Upvote 0
And I'd love to have free Buffalo Wild Wings meals every time I wanted to. It's a pipe dream. :p

Google basically demanded such a requirement out of the FCC and they agreed for whoever built out a network on the TV spectrum VZW won and is using for LTE. So basically nonVZW sponsored devices SHOULD be allow on VZW as that was sorta a requirement for whoever won the spectrum.

I tend to have a feeling a manufacturer could technically build and offer one up and VZW wouldn't give them trouble over that particular device, but would then have to live with VZW never officially sponsoring and helping with marketing of another device again.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that Beam was a function of NFC, so any phone in the future that has NFC will be able to Beam.

Pretty sure that NFC is simply near-field communications - a kind of cousin to RFID, kinda like Bluetooth in that it's a radio spec, etc.

AFAIK, Beam is an app that uses NFC.

Maybe that's what you meant anyhow and I was confused....

Upvote 0
Some people still can't grasp the concept of a Nexus device. I understand that some of his may blow you Verizoner's minds, but show me a Nexus device that had bloatware on it. Show me a nexus device that is neutered by carriers. You cannot. In order for Verizon to carry the Nexus, they have to heed Google's requirements. Not the other way around. It's getting ridiculous at this point. Verizon is not the only carrier that has bloated, locked down software on their phones. On my HTC Inspire, there's plenty of apps that I cannot natively get rid of. The same goes for Sprint and T-Mobile. The woe is me attitude is uncalled for. No one's forcing you to be with Verizon. Personally, if I felt that at every turn my carrier was blatantly trying to screw me over, I'd leave.

Sorry
/rant

Reactions: Snrub88 and ZachMob
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones