• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I'm staying away from the reviews and pictures of ICS because it will just drive me nuts.

I think you are underestimating Google's clout at this stage in the game. Android is outselling iOS by a wide margin.

If Google (who, by the way, is soon going to be the proud owner of Motorola Mobile Solutions, which happens to be Verizon's favorite) told Verizon, "Look, you either put out a pure Nexus device on your network, with no VZ crap on it, or we take Android with us and you can limp along on a platter of only iOS, RIM, and WebOS. . . .and by the way, we're taking away Motorola from you. . ." what do you think would happen?

No wonder Verizon was pissed at Google and Samsung, but could apparently do nothing. They have no leverage anymore.

I see what you are saying but this is still a lot of assumption. I hope you know I'm not arguing km only trying to bring to the conversation something that is being overlooked. In the absence of any real information its simply a conversation that i personally beleive has some merit.

Whether it happens or not is beside the point :)

Upvote 0
It's sad to see so many people who hate/dislike/"not for me"/"better around the corner guys, don't buy it" people lingering around this thread. Honestly, if you don't like the Galaxy Nexus and you truly believe there is something better around the corner (re: for you), then great, all the power to you. But I don't see the need to whine and cheese all over this thread.

^
|
Serious
NotSoSerious
|
\/

I heard there is a new android coming, 8-core CPU at 4GHz and 120 mini-core GPU at 768Mhz. 6GB RAM, 128GB storage, double SDcard slot storage, 1,000,000MP camera, 500,000mah backpack battery accessory and complete worldphone radio. It's right around the corner after the corner which leads to that other corner. Wait for that.

Upvote 0
I see what you are saying but this is still a lot of assumption. I hope you know I'm not arguing km only trying to bring to the conversation something that is being overlooked. In the absence of any real information its simply a conversation that i personally beleive has some merit.

Hey, I get it. I'm a lawyer, remember? I can bring arguing to an obnoxious level! ;)

Upvote 0
iPhone is in a whole other league than the Nexus. Thats not a knock on the Nexus so nobody get excited. I'm saying the iPhone is a slam dunk when it comes to marketing and sales. The Nexus pales in comparison. It's not a heavily marketed phone and has a very specific market...

Barely any marketing dollars are thrown at it and until that happens it will sit at the back of the line in sales

Point taken.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Never thought about that. Yeah the navigation makes perfect sense. Its too bad the expert at Weather Underground doesn't think the crowdsourcing weather will work.

Yeah, but there still has to be something to it, that some team of Google can imagine. The one thing I think the weather dude might not take into account is the effect of thousands or more barometers working in concert. I still think it will provide some useful aspect.

At the same time, it's not like "and it's got a barometer!" is a huge selling feature, and I don't see Apple copying that.

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever attempted to persuade Verizon to give them an upgrade a month or two early? Is it possible?! I dunno if I can wait till the end of December!

I called them today because the power button on my Incredible isn't quite as incredible as it used to be...aka I'm stoving fingers just trying to get the damn screen to light up... ANYWAYS

I was told that the most they ever do (of course i'm sure this isn't always true) is 30 days. My upgrade date is 12/28 and she said to call around mid-late November and they would consider moving it, however they would not move it up a month to 11/28 today.

She tried to sell me a refurb phone and I tried to get the poor little girl to understand that I wasn't going to ram money into a refurb phone only to turn around 2 months later and ram a whole lot more money into a new one. She basically said "I understand, but you're SOL for now."

Upvote 0
mind = blown

If my understanding of this is correct from watching this thread all day instead of doing my job well (poor first-graders, haha) it sounds like if a 5MP camera has a better lens/parts and exceptional software, it can hands-down be better than an 8MP camera with not such hot parts and software.

Upvote 0
Well, what's next now? Nexus is a nice phone but the Iphone will probably outsell it by a factor of at least 12X, maybe more when you consider the low end 8gb IP Model. What does Samsung and Google do? Well, I think they have to keep moving in a very aggressive direction. The Samsung CEO mentioned that the Nexus was built very carefully to avoid any patent infringements with Apple. Everyone knows that Apple will bring out a kick ass phone in the next iteration, with an even better processor, maybe even an upgraded camera and a larger screen with even better screen technology. Siri will be evolving. I really hope Samsung and Google don't try and sit back. They really have to burn the midnight oil with hardware and software. And Google has to figure out what to do with Motorola. First thing, they should get rid of Sanjay Jha. The Xoom is a disaster and the RAZR is really inferior to the Nexus. I guess Google and Samsung didn't have the time or the chip supply to make this Nexus really competitive.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but there still has to be something to it, that some team of Google can imagine. The one thing I think the weather dude might not take into account is the effect of thousands or more barometers working in concert. I still think it will provide some useful aspect.

At the same time, it's not like "and it's got a barometer!" is a huge selling feature, and I don't see Apple copying that.

Yeah, I think your right, unless it was cheap to add, and Google figured by adding it to their developer devices (Xoom has it to per the article you posted), maybe someone else might come up with something cool that they can use as yet another selling point over Apple.

Upvote 0

My god. You are clearly a pessimist at heart. All the "verizon yes/no" FUD is being perpetuated by people ignoring every possible clue, dropped hint and piece of evidence that would lead normal, rational humans to the conclusion that Big Red is their US LTE carrier. You think they let that VW branding just accidentally slip into their presentations last night? Nope. That type of stuff is done on purpose. I know you got your feelings hurt with the HTC Merge, but this is not that.

and now to lighten the mood, a joke.

There once were two young twins, about 10 years old. One was a pessimist and the other an optimist. This made them the ideal case study, and they were recruited to study the differences between a glass half full and a glass half empty. They separate the twins and put them both in locked, sealed rooms. The pessimist is in a room full of the newest toys and gadgets, all laid out for them to play with. In the optimists room, there's nothing but a huge steaming pile of horse manure. The scientists leave for a few hours and then come back to check in on the twins. They open the pessimists room first, and find them crying uncontrollably in the middle of the room, not having touched any of toys at all. "What's wrong?" they ask. "Well, someone left all these toys here, and I really wanted to play with them but didn't want whoever left them to get mad at me if I broke one." They then go to the optimists room to see how he's faring. They open the door to find the optimist on TOP of the pile of manure digging frantically with their hands and grinning like a loon the entire time. "What on earth are you doing?" they ask. The optimist stops digging just long enough to say "Well, I figured with all this poop in one place there's GOT to be a pony in here somewhere!"

Reactions: drbugsmn and CinLou
Upvote 0
I called them today because the power button on my Incredible isn't quite as incredible as it used to be...aka I'm stoving fingers just trying to get the damn screen to light up... ANYWAYS

I was told that the most they ever do (of course i'm sure this isn't always true) is 30 days. My upgrade date is 12/28 and she said to call around mid-late November and they would consider moving it, however they would not move it up a month to 11/28 today.

She tried to sell me a refurb phone and I tried to get the poor little girl to understand that I wasn't going to ram money into a refurb phone only to turn around 2 months later and ram a whole lot more money into a new one. She basically said "I understand, but you're SOL for now."

you didnt talk to the right person. i know now exactly the same situation as yours, but last month my wifes Dinc finally started going bananas. wouldnt make calls, recieve texts or emails or do anything a phone should do really. after spending about 3 hours with technical support, and getting transfered to "teir 2" tech support, i finally got a lady who gave her a free upgrade(didnt even have to use our available upgrade) to a Dinc2 and sent her an extended battery for free, so it can be done if you reach the right people.

Upvote 0
If my understanding of this is correct from watching this thread all day instead of doing my job well (poor first-graders, haha) it sounds like if a 5MP camera has a better lens/parts and exceptional software, it can hands-down be better than an 8MP camera with not such hot parts and software.

5MP on the same size sensor can also have BIGGER photosites that actually gather information for your photo. The smaller the photosites the less light and hence data they gather for you photo and inturn send BAD data on what the scene looks like to the image processing hardware on the phone. They could probably make 20mp cellphone sized CMOS sensors today, but the pixels would be so small they wouldn't gather hardly any light and you would just get a noisy crappy picture off the sensor.

Dyanamic range, color accuracy, noise reduction, low light capability, and lots of other aspect of photo quality can actually be IMPROVED by reducing megapixels and increasing photo sensor size when designing a sensor.

Upvote 0
Respectfully suggest Flex T9 instead, available in the Market. Many of us believe it's a better swipe than Swype and it's got the best voice recognition in the market (Dragon), hand's down.

i would also suggest looking at swiftkey, by far my favorite of the keyboards/interfaces i have used

Upvote 0
Has anyone ever attempted to persuade Verizon to give them an upgrade a month or two early? Is it possible?! I dunno if I can wait till the end of December!

I've tried in the past with little success. If you're the primary line, they'll generally let you upgrade early for a fee of $20--but otherwise I've gotten no budge from them.

Reactions: rhietpas
Upvote 0
What is a barometer on a phone good for? Just curious. So like, you know the weather is about to mess with your sinuses and you can prepare for it ahead of time? :thinking:

A barometer in a phone is good for an app called Shooter. Look it up in the market. As soon as I heard that this phone has a barometer I got very excited. Shooter is a ballistics app for shooting rifles long range. Knowing your current barometric conditions is a very big factor in accurately calculating the precise settings on your rifle scope in order to hit what you're aiming for.

Upvote 0
5MP on the same size sensor can also have BIGGER photosites that actually gather information for your photo. The smaller the photosites the less light and hence data they gather for you photo and inturn send BAD data on what the scene looks like to the image processing hardware on the phone. They could probably make 20mp cellphone sized CMOS sensors today, but the pixels would be so small they wouldn't gather hardly any light and you would just get a noisy crappy picture off the sensor.

Dyanamic range, color accuracy, noise reduction, low light capability, and lots of other aspect of photo quality can actually be IMPROVED by reducing megapixels and increasing photo sensor size when designing a sensor.

I actually bought my Canon XS over the XSi because it has been proven the image quality was better for the XS with fewer MP

Upvote 0
Well, what's next now? Nexus is a nice phone but the Iphone will probably outsell it by a factor of at least 12X, maybe more when you consider the low end 8gb IP Model. What does Samsung and Google do? Well, I think they have to keep moving in a very aggressive direction. The Samsung CEO mentioned that the Nexus was built very carefully to avoid any patent infringements with Apple. Everyone knows that Apple will bring out a kick ass phone in the next iteration, with an even better processor, maybe even an upgraded camera and a larger screen with even better screen technology. Siri will be evolving. I really hope Samsung and Google don't try and sit back. They really have to burn the midnight oil with hardware and software. And Google has to figure out what to do with Motorola. First thing, they should get rid of Sanjay Jha. The Xoom is a disaster and the RAZR is really inferior to the Nexus. I guess Google and Samsung didn't have the time or the chip supply to make this Nexus really competitive.

I know it's been posted before, but if you read this article, you'll know that Google is not going to sit on their laurels, but are going to be very aggressive from here on out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones