• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that Minecraft probably wasn't developed using the updated SDK for ICS. It wouldn't have the ability to dismiss/ hide the buttons (assuming that the new SDK grants developers that power).

Since I can't post links I'll just quote from the SDK:

Controls for system UI visibility

Since the early days of Android, the system has managed a UI component known as the status bar, which resides at the top of handset devices to deliver information such as the carrier signal, time, notifications, and so on. Android 3.0 added the system bar for tablet devices, which resides at the bottom of the screen to provide system navigation controls (Home, Back, and so forth) and also an interface for elements traditionally provided by the status bar. In Android 4.0, the system provides a new type of system UI called the navigation bar. You might consider the navigation bar a re-tuned version of the system bar designed for handsets—it provides navigation controls for devices that don’t have hardware counterparts for navigating the system, but it leaves out the system bar's notification UI and setting controls. As such, a device that provides the navigation bar also has the status bar at the top.

To this day, you can hide the status bar on handsets using the FLAG_FULLSCREEN flag. In Android 4.0, the APIs that control the system bar’s visibility have been updated to better reflect the behavior of both the system bar and navigation bar:

The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LOW_PROFILE flag replaces the STATUS_BAR_HIDDEN flag. When set, this flag enables “low profile" mode for the system bar or navigation bar. Navigation buttons dim and other elements in the system bar also hide. Enabling this is useful for creating more immersive games without distraction for the system navigation buttons.

The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_VISIBLE flag replaces the STATUS_BAR_VISIBLE flag to request the system bar or navigation bar be visible.

The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION is a new flag that requests the navigation bar hide completely. Be aware that this works only for the navigation bar used by some handsets (it does not hide the system bar on tablets). The navigation bar returns to view as soon as the system receives user input. As such, this mode is useful primarily for video playback or other cases in which the whole screen is needed but user input is not required.

So there you have it, devs can hide both the status bar and nav bar on the Galanexsaurus :D

Edit: Just noticed that with user input the nav menu returns so true full screen is really only usefull for videos and not games that require user interaction.

Upvote 0
Wonder what is going on? The son of the Samsung COO just had a meeting with Tim Cook and other Apple execs, right after the tribute to Steve Jobs. He was there to discuss the arrangement that Samsung has with Apple to supply the A6 quad core chips for the Ipad 3 and the next Apple smartphone. Now this is kind of interesting. Samsung is fabricating the chips in Texas and producing them. TSMC in Taiwan is also trying to produce them but will not be able to ramp up production for the kind of quantities that Apple needs. Okay, so what does that have to do with the Nexus? This is crazy, but I wonder if Apple has an agreement with Samsung not to use this chip in the next generation of Nexus. So that would mean Samsung would have to use TI's 28nm chip. Business is weird.

isn't it obvious the A6 wouldn't be used in anything but an apple product? it's their chip

Upvote 0
Dearest higher knowledge/insighted posters,

Do we have any idea when VZW will officially announce the phone in order to set a preorder date?

I worked with VZW last night and they are allowing me to upgrade early because I was basically grandfathered in on the annual upgrade pricing plan that they used to have. The problem is they're calling me next Friday (10/28) for me to tell them which phone I want to order. For some reason this is the only way they'll allow me to do the early upgrade.

Any thoughts as to when VZW might shout from the rooftops that this thing is coming?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That might be a little too hasty. With all the RAZR hubbub, I think Verizon is going to focus its attention on their favorite golden child more than anything else. I'd be worried if we don't hear anything by next Wednesday, though.

I was just thinking that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it normally go like this: Carrier announcement -> 1 week later pre-orders -> 1 week later official release?

Upvote 0
Okay, Han, 10/25. Pre-orders by then or no-go for 11/3. That's 10 days of pre-orders. I really hope they don't mess this one up.

EDIT: Or should we settle for 5-7 days of pre-orders?

I say 7 days for pre-orders.

Honestly, I'm not banking on there being a pre-order period. I'm sure you'll be able to order it online on release day (for those who don't want a phone that's been pawed over by idiot salesmen), but with Verizon not giving much love to this baby, I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
note carrier

Screenshot_2011-10-20-08-05-47.png

https://plus.google.com/u/0/116222833568410151476/posts/gBefrqmqq1Z

i wouldn't take that as a sign they're getting it, but eh..never know

Upvote 0
I can't remember, but when the Nexus One and Nexus S were launched, were they available in Tmobile's retail stores from day one or could you only buy them online?

The reason I ask is because the whole Nexus line is a bit different from all other phones in that the carriers seem to have little or no input, so I think looking at how other phones have launched on VZW in the past doesn't really mean anything.

As an aside, I think Google/Samsung could really learn about presentations from Apple as the ICS/Nexus presentation really lacked some of the excitement and polish that Apple accomplishes with their presentations (although I'd admit the 4S presentation wasn't that great). Too many Samsung execs reading off teleprompters.

Upvote 0
I was just thinking that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it normally go like this: Carrier announcement -> 1 week later pre-orders -> 1 week later official release?

That's the usual. But a pure Nexus phone releasing at pretty much the exact same time as Moto's favorite is not a usual event. I don't think we know how this is going to play out.

Okay, guys (and gals - sorry BabyBlues for the snub yesterday :(), I've got a TON of work to do today, so I'll be pretty much out of it today.

Be nice, and don't kill CK.

Wink Wink.

Smiley face.

But wink wink.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm not banking on their being a pre-order period. I'm sure you'll be able to order it online on release day (for those who don't want a phone that's been pawed over by idiot salesmen), but with Verizon not giving much love to this baby, I'm not sure.

That could be a possibility. But if they do pre-order, I don't think it will be more than a 7-day pre-order period. I would think with how much Sammy and Google are banking on this, and with pre-orders for the international version already popping up, Verizon will be under a decent amount of pressure to offer a pre-order as well. But who knows.

Upvote 0

Another though I had is that Verizon might not even announce the phone. It might just be available one day.

Aside from geeks like us, Verizon might not feel that this device will bring new customers in like their exclusive RAZR will, especially since many different carriers will probably carry the phone. In their mind, they probably don't see the reason to put a lot of money into a device that can disable their bloat, and that most people who already know about the device, already know about the device. I think it will come to Verizon first, but won't be exclusive for long, and won't be marketed hardly at all by Verizon. The rezound and RAZR will be Verizon's darlings for the Holidays.

Upvote 0
That might be a little too hasty. With all the RAZR hubbub, I think Verizon is going to focus its attention on their favorite golden child more than anything else. I'd be worried if we don't hear anything by next Wednesday, though.

I agree with this!

Why announce the Nexus with the bigger screen, new ICS OS, curved screen, facial recognition, talk to text, zero lag camera, etc before their new Droid phone even goes on sale!

Edit: Thanks for the reminder...how could i have forgotten the Roboto font! LOL

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones