• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement was 3 days ago and no official announcement from the exclusive carrier , no FCC, no leaks picked up by the tech blogs. My interest and confidence of a release are begininng to wane.

October 27th is the day i step off this Nexus blackout.

Verizon Nexus Blackout. That's the perfect description of what's going on.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Expounding on this thought a bit, has anyone seen a RAZR commercial on TV yet? It's online at Verizon, of course, and all of us phone dorks know all about it, but it occurs to me that VZ hasn't really pushed it hard yet...Saw a Bionic commercial yesterday, but you get the sense that VZ is pulling back quickly to get into pitch mode for the RAZR. I honestly don't expect VZ to announce anything regarding the Nexus until after they've "started the show" with the RAZR and to me it doesn't look like that's been done yet. There will probably be a week of RAZR commercials and then maybe we'll see the Nexus on the website and nothing more. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that there won't be a single VZ commercial for the Nexus. That will all be Sammy and Google, if it happens at all.

Or maybe they do a one for all commercial. Like music we go a rezound for you, want tough and sleek we got a razr for that, want an amazing screen we got that too. Just a thought.

Reactions: hgray
Upvote 0
I wonder why the lack of marketing for the Gnex? I thought it was supposed to be something big, the ipod killer, the phone to end all phones? Wouldn't that be something you'd want to advertise heavily, especially with the ICS factor in play?

Tbh i dont think google is really that great at marketing any of their products they just throw it out there. I think its agreed that vzw is going to mass market the razr over the galaxy nexus. all in all i dont see much advertising for the gn on launch day

Upvote 0
Tbh i dont think google is really that great at marketing any of their products they just throw it out there. I think its agreed that vzw is going to mass market the razr over the galaxy nexus. all in all i dont see much advertising for the gn on launch day

Irony that Google, which is basically an advertising company, has trouble advertising devices.

But, I do really like their Chrome commercials. And I would definitely prefer to see ads similar to those ones for the Gnex. The last thing I'd want to see is another verizon robot ad aimed at this phone, those ads are awful.

Reactions: huskerkate
Upvote 0
Expounding on this thought a bit, has anyone seen a RAZR commercial on TV yet? It's online at Verizon, of course, and all of us phone dorks know all about it, but it occurs to me that VZ hasn't really pushed it hard yet...Saw a Bionic commercial yesterday, but you get the sense that VZ is pulling back quickly to get into pitch mode for the RAZR. I honestly don't expect VZ to announce anything regarding the Nexus until after they've "started the show" with the RAZR and to me it doesn't look like that's been done yet. There will probably be a week of RAZR commercials and then maybe we'll see the Nexus on the website and nothing more. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that there won't be a single VZ commercial for the Nexus. That will all be Sammy and Google, if it happens at all.

If the RAZR is the big thing for them them and Nexus will get no attention, why not just acknowledge the Nexus is coming and do a silent announcement about it, shove it under the rug and go on with your RAZR Droid hype machine?? The only fool proof way to keep Nexus from stomping on ANY RAZR sales is to delay or cancel it.

I don't think either of these are what's really going on. They are negotiating SOMETHING with Google/Samsung on this sucker and it could launch on time anyhow so they are keep all those balls rolling behind the scenes, but we have no clue where these negotiations will end up by the time those balls get close to their holes??

Upvote 0
I haven't read or seen anything since the HK event. Usually after these Nexus events the story is picked up that the Nexus will be available through XYZ carrier starting_insert month here_ at _insert price here_

Probably because they already did the story. What's the point saying it again before the announcement? Most of the tech blogs have yet to backtrack on previous reports that it was coming to Verizon. Just rumors from non credible sources. First it was a problem by NFC, then that suddenly died down. Now its problems with data, which BMX, love tunnel, and others have said is NOT an issue. We have reports of Verizon being trained on it from a couple posters here. There was the picture of the LTE symbol on the back of a device.

It just seems like it takes a lot more effort saying it isn't coming than saying that it is. Most evidence says that it is. The only thing leaving doubt is Verizon's strange marketing strategy and p3 (who has a history doing this stuff).

Upvote 0

like others, i think the marketing push for the GNex will come from Google/Sammy, and not VZW. i'm guessing this was probably a negotiated term in the agreement with VZW for the GNex.

as for the RAZR, we will probably see an initial push for it just a week or so before release. but, since this is Moto's BIG device for the year, i'm betting the real marketing push won't start until the holiday shopping season.

Upvote 0
It will get some Jellybean love as well...

Fo sho...how quickly do you think Moto devices will get updates once Google OWNS moto? My highly sophisticated guess? Pretty damn quickly, I bet. One of the reasons that I think I'm one of the only guys here with you with one foot in each bed.

Upvote 0
like others, i think the marketing push for the GNex will come from Google/Sammy, and not VZW. i'm guessing this was probably a negotiated term in the agreement with VZW for the GNex.

as for the RAZR, we will probably see an initial push for it just a week or so before release. but, since this is Moto's BIG device for the year, i'm betting the real marketing push won't start until the holiday shopping season.

Makes sense, you're probably right about the shopping season...

Upvote 0
Fo sho...how quickly do you think Moto devices will get updates once Google OWNS moto? My highly sophisticated guess? Pretty damn quickly, I bet. One of the reasons that I think I'm one of the only guys here with you with one foot in each bed.

I dont think google will show them any favors but i do know Motorola will want to keep them happy and get it pushed out very quickly. Theres a huge incentive there. they will want to keep their partner happy....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

google has said over and over again that nothing is going to change, so i wouldn't expect miracles. but i'm hopeful they merely mean that moto won't automatically get the nexus or something like that.

Upvote 0
In regards to Verizon making the annouuncement of it carrying the Nexus. If memory serves me right the carrier has never made that announcement. Google has. N1 and Nexus S were similiar launches?

Someone please correct me if im wrong. Im mobile and too lazy to look that up :)

I don't know about an announcement but I could have sworn I remember T-Mobile pushing the N1 pretty hard back in the day..

Upvote 0
Probably because they already did the story. What's the point saying it again before the announcement? Most of the tech blogs have yet to backtrack on previous reports that it was coming to Verizon. Just rumors from non credible sources. First it was a problem by NFC, then that suddenly died down. Now its problems with data, which BMX, love tunnel, and others have said is NOT an issue. We have reports of Verizon being trained on it from a couple posters here. There was the picture of the LTE symbol on the back of a device.

It just seems like it takes a lot more effort saying it isn't coming than saying that it is. Most evidence says that it is. The only thing leaving doubt is Verizon's strange marketing strategy and p3 (who has a history doing this stuff).

All the current articles say there is no confirmed US carriers at this time. You are going off of articles that were written before the event. They are no longer relavent. Those were more speculation. Good speculation mind you but speculation non the less.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I dont think google will show them any favors but i do know Motorola will want to keep them happy and get it pushed out very quickly. Theres a huge incentive there. they will want to keep their partner happy....

Agree but they won't be partners once the ownership deal is approved. It will be as simple as Google making updates available for everyone, but they will definitely PUSH the carriers of Moto devices to implement the updates sooner than later, I would expect. That way, there's no favoritism, it's just business.

Upvote 0
People are starting to turn on the Windsock:

P3Droid:
To clear things up, I did not say there is a DELAY or it has been CANCELLED, i only said don't sell your phones for unannounced phones

@JohnClevenger:
You said you had (inside) reason to think it may be cancelled. Why run away from that? It's useful information for us to have.

P3Droid:
@johnclevenger I've never said that explicitly

@DroidFan11:
@P3Droid @johnclevenger So then what are you saying? That we won't see it til we see it? Duh. Why's the back of your nexus metal?

lol

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones