• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't announced per say, but Motorola did confirm it was an OMAP 4430 in the Razr, so we have to assume that it's overclocked to 1.2GHz, unless it releases as 1GHz.

I know it's a semantic thing, but pretty much by definition if a manufacturer releases a part for general distribution, it's not overclocked. So while the 4430 may've originally been spec'ed at 1GHz, if they released the part at 1.2GHz then it will function properly at 1.2GHz and is not pushing any thermal or electrical limit. The costs of a factory recall and bad publicity are way too high for them to be taking any risks.

I still say it's a lower binned 4460 anyhow with maybe GPU speed a few other options set different is all anyhow. ;) Would be nice if such info was published.

That may well be true. I still think the likelihood of two different chips from the same company in the same family running at the same clock speed but being different models is low. If Moto updated their site to say that RAZR is actually a 4430, in theory Google or Verizon could do the same w/Nexus. It's also possible that somebody at Motorola screwed up. :eek:

EDIT: Clarified RAZR vs. Nexus.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know it's a semantic thing, but pretty much by definition if a manufacturer releases a part for general distribution, it's not overclocked. So while the 4430 may've originally been spec'ed at 1GHz, if they released the part at 1.2GHz then it will function properly at 1.2GHz and is not pushing any thermal or electrical limit. The costs of a factory recall and bad publicity are way too high for them to be taking any risks.

That may well be true. I still think the likelihood of two different chips from the same company in the same family running at the same clock speed but being different models is low. If Moto updated their site to say that RAZR is a 4430, they could do the same w/Nexus. It's also possible that somebody at Motorola screwed up. :eek:

Reasonable assumptions, but the price had to have been prohibitive for Moto to let Samsung take the high ground with the chipset and chose a chip probably with little to no stable head room past 1.2ghz.

I call 16gb for $300, but you never know :)

Upvote 0
Didnt think that was being negative with the cloud and all. Jeesh.

Haha had to find something now that its official. But is that your reasoning behind saying they'll get the 16? If that were the case, why even make a 32gb? Typically more storage comes with faster download speeds. Seems unlikely they'd give Verizon the watered down version.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Reasonable assumptions, but the price had to have been prohibitive for Moto to let Samsung take the high ground with the chipset and chose a chip probably with little to no stable head room past 1.2ghz.

My WAG is RAZR and Nexus will both overclock the same, but I'm as curious as you to find out what's the real story when they're released!

I call 16gb for $300, but you never know :)

Put me down for 32GB at $300 and 16GB at $250. Pity it can't run w/the big dog 64GB iP4S.

Upvote 0
Obviously, this community is NOT interested in this thread for boring processor discussions. ;) :)
cereal killer and jasearo are essentially (and importantly) correct:

Neither the 4430 in the RAZR nor the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus are overclocked or underclocked - they are simply clocked.

And they are clocked the same.

So, it's not about heat or battery use for either processor to you, the consumer - based on those giggle-hertz.

Trust your consumer instincts - the 4460 is a bigger number than 4430 so that means it's better somehow - and that somehow is in video and imaging performance.

With the big HD screen, makes perfect sense to me that the Gnex gets the big daddy of the two - they're expecting HD media lovers. :)

Okay I'll try the hide thing too. Don't read if you have CPUphobia!
What you described sounds like standard binning, where they stress the various components individually and together using locked and unlocked clocks to determine limits.

Hey, what's w/the mention of specially microcoded 4430? Weren't you the one who reminded me ARMs don't have microcode? :thinking:

If they indeed come off the same wafers, it's possible they have the same overclocking limits. If the 4460's in question really are capable of 1.5GHz stable, then maybe they would've been sold to some other company who was going to run them at 1.5GHz.

One reason for 4430 vs. 4460 nomenclature could be the 1080p specification. It isn't necessarily that they have distinct hardware (but you may well be right that they do), but that a 4460 has been binned to guarantee such capability.

Did you find any mention of the MA and CMU modules in the 4430? If not, do you conclude those are new features unique to 4460 and higher? If you're under NDA, just paw the ground three times for yes.

Please keep trying to track down GPU speeds for the two (one?) chips!

Reactions: jasaero
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones