• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say (as a lurker from about page 40 or so) that you're a pessimist... Don't take that wrong, as a fellow Verizon customer I totally understand that. But when it comes to the saying "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" you've pretty much been in the "prepare for the worst" camp for this whole thread. :p
I really can't see verizon jacking the price another $100 (to $399) for their premium phones just 1-2 months after raising it from $199 to $299. As far as storage; I get why they'd try to push the RAZR, but there are A LOT of people (myself included) who are just coming up on the end of their OG Droid contracts and offering only one premium (locked) device wouldn't make sense, a good chunk would just go elsewhere. And a premium phone with 16gb of non-expandable storage just isn't going to stack up.

But then again, maybe this is just my optimism clashing with your pessimism. ;)

So in short, my thinking is 32gb @ $299 and 16gb (if they get it) @ $199 or $249.

I too (if CK indeed agrees with you) have been in the "prepare for the worst" camp for this whole thread. I have been conditioned by Verizon to be that way. A 32 GB version with a 2nd generation radio would pull me out of it though.

Upvote 0
I too (if CK indeed agrees with you) have been in the "prepare for the worst" camp for this whole thread. I have been conditioned by Verizon to be that way. A 32 GB version with a 2nd generation radio would pull me out of it though.

Us GA folks up early. I agree, Verizon has been a little bit of a disappointment with phones, but they seem to be really trying to push that away. In the month of Oct. they have announced three really good phones (and one more on the way in the Rezound), as far as consumer demand is concerned. They could still disappoint on Price vs. Storage for the GNex, but only time will tell on that. There are still a few question marks, battery life, storage space being the biggest, that I think the forum will have a decent discussion on, but we are in the home stretch now.

Upvote 0
Lol while i am usually an optimistic person, over the years i have been conditioned to treat Verizon with a very pessimistic attitude and it usually turns out right. Plus its much more fun to be a wrong pessimist than a wrong optimist :p

But anyway i will be happy with this phone the way it is, i wish it had a SD card slot, but anticipating it didn't i have put all my music on Google Music. So 16 gigs can be for everything else that i would save on my phone.

Upvote 0
Lol while i am usually an optimistic person, over the years i have been conditioned to treat Verizon with a very pessimistic attitude and it usually turns out right. Plus its much more fun to be a wrong pessimist than a wrong optimist :p

But anyway i will be happy with this phone the way it is, i wish it had a SD card slot, but anticipating it didn't i have put all my music on Google Music. So 16 gigs can be for everything else that i would save on my phone.

Yeah, I think there are waaayy too many people who can relate to that in here. With Verizon passing on the SGS2, stating they were getting something way better, and then rumors of that something better causing major heartburn and Verizon not being happy, I think most of us while still showing optimism due to what "The Source" through Steven was telling us, were preparing ourselves for the worst. CK might have been the only one advocating it, but I know we all had it on our mind, and couldn't rule it out.

Upvote 0
I humbly apologize.

There is absolutely no need for you to apologize, though I appreciate it.

I took more issue with some people continuing to whine about how "childish" and "immature" my thinking was, even after I had apologized for offending anyone with the grassroots thread.

You're awesome, Steven.

On another note, Good Morning, Nexlings!!

Can I submit an avatar for CK?

Behold!

z187894360.jpg

I think it keeps true to his B&W theme, while subtly suggesting the always present "Kill me now, I'm tired of living as a Verizon customer" ambiance of the subject's mindset.

Eh?

Upvote 0
Us GA folks up early. I agree, Verizon has been a little bit of a disappointment with phones, but they seem to be really trying to push that away. In the month of Oct. they have announced three really good phones (and one more on the way in the Rezound), as far as consumer demand is concerned. They could still disappoint on Price vs. Storage for the GNex, but only time will tell on that. There are still a few question marks, battery life, storage space being the biggest, that I think the forum will have a decent discussion on, but we are in the home stretch now.

I agree. And this GA weather is great for steak outs.

Upvote 0
Sorry, CK, didn't mean to be offensive. But 16 gb isn't standard storage anymore of a high end phone, and as it's been pointed out (in a handy little +/- list nonetheless) cloud storage really is *not* viable at this point in time.

Not to mention that not all people have access to fast download speeds from the cloud. A lot of people don't yet live in 4G areas, and a lot of them don't have unlimited data. Cloud storage would be out of the question for them. Also, as has been stated before, constantly downloading music from the cloud would eat up your battery faster than simply pulling it from a larger on-board storage shed.

I don't think Verizon will be offering the 16GB version (although if they did that's what I would buy. . .I don't think I've ever gone over 8 gigs on my OG droid). I think it will be one choice, 32 GB, at $299. Which I don't think would surprise anybody.

Upvote 0
Please remember that due to ICS storage and data allocations, format parameters and stock apps, the 16gb version will have about 10gb free for apps /media and the 32gb about 24gb. I bring this up only because some in threads are referencing the listed model size as space.

The photos/videos taken of the Galaxy Nexus so far show just over 13GB available to the user on the 16GB version. P3Droid's photos show this as well.

Upvote 0
Speculation incoming: GSM version aka GT-i9250 gets the 32 gb and Verizons version gets the 16 gb. There is a mention that the LTE version will have different specs as you already know. Unless the Verizon version gets a different processor, OS or camera that leaves one thing. Storage space. Pulling from the cloud is going to take some juice and that leaves the LTE version as the PERFECT candidate for less storage.

Makes sense to me. What say you?

Except the GSM version was what they showed at the announcement and it had 16GB. They could really put 16 or 32 in either version. We won't really know until they tell us but I have a feeling that it's the Verizon one that gets 32. Remember this was (any maybe still could be) Google/Samsung/Verizon's big deal as the first Galaxy Nexus available exclusively on Verizon for a period of time. Wouldn't they want that special release to have something special about the phone too. Obviously thinks changed in the issues with Verizon and them and the timing of the release but the hardware may already have been decided on to be 32GB.

Upvote 0
Not to mention that not all people have access to fast download speeds from the cloud. A lot of people don't yet live in 4G areas, and a lot of them don't have unlimited data. Cloud storage would be out of the question for them. Also, as has been stated before, constantly downloading music from the cloud would eat up your battery faster than simply pulling it from a larger on-board storage shed.

I don't think Verizon will be offering the 16GB version (although if they did that's what I would buy. . .I don't think I've ever gone over 8 gigs on my OG droid). I think it will be one choice, 32 GB, at $299. Which I don't think would surprise anybody.

I am so glad I am getting LTE on 11/17, so I don't care, and actually would buy the 16GB if it were discounted below $299. Plus I listen to Pandora mostly, it fits my listening style better (more variety than I can afford to buy on my own).

Upvote 0
BRRRR! It's 32 degrees in Tennessee! Hi Gnexers!

Speaking of 32, wouldn't that be a serendipitous coincidence to have the temperature here match our storage? ;)

Yes, I can live with 16GB. I did with the Droid for over a year. I won't LIKE it: but with all my music in the Cloud, I can LIVE with it. BARELY.

But I'd much rather see 32GB on such a flagship phone.

Upvote 0
Since we're on the subject of storage space, does anyone know how much space a 1080p video takes up? Say, a 15 minute video.

I'm curious because occasionally I like to shoot video if we're at the zoo, aquarium, park, etc. and I'd like to know if I should dump all my music and movies onto my computer before leaving the house. :p

depends on how its compressed, but as the only reference i know to compare to, the iphone 4s is from 175-200mb per minute @1080p

Upvote 0
So, do we think for us VZW customers with corporate discounts, that we'll be able to get the Nexus at a discounted rate? When the bolt came out, I was able to get it on a 1 yr for $229 which was pretty great. The bionic would have been $249 on a 2 year contract for me, so I'm hoping the SGN will be $249 for a 2 year with 32GB. That's my prediction. Only thing I'm a little worried about is that they don't give corporate discounts at all for the iphones.

Upvote 0
I just got that!

lol

Yeah, I don't think the poor little guy can help it. Seems like he's been burned too many times so he's afraid to hope. It's okay.

Someone earlier said that every forum needs a CK and a Hans Olo (dammit).

I don't remember who that was. You all look alike to me. But that was nice.

That was me Mr. Olo...:)

Upvote 0
So I guess now I know why CK isn't here. . .he's been posting on the RAZR forum that he's definitely going to get that phone and will be passing on the SGN because of it's sucky build quality. . .

That's too bad. Now I have no one to fight with. :(

Give it time, someone will pop up to take his place.

Upvote 0
So, do we think for us VZW customers with corporate discounts, that we'll be able to get the Nexus at a discounted rate? When the bolt came out, I was able to get it on a 1 yr for $229 which was pretty great. The bionic would have been $249 on a 2 year contract for me, so I'm hoping the SGN will be $249 for a 2 year with 32GB. That's my prediction. Only thing I'm a little worried about is that they don't give corporate discounts at all for the iphones.

This^ I get the same thing. Droid 3 was discounted for me, as was thunderbolt. But Droid Charge was not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones