• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess if you want to hound CK you will have to go to the RAZR forum. I peeked over HanSolo's shoulder at him over there.

I would have never guessed he would be swayed by cosmetics over specs.

I cannot get over the non-replaceable battery and to me the RAZR is not pretty.

Personally, I just want to see all screen when looking at a phone.
I am very attracted to the RAZR, but I think I'm going to have to go with the Nexus. I found this little point by point reasoning on what kind of user would choose each to be spot on.
Software obsessors: Galaxy Nexus
Hardware obsessors: Droid RAZR
Camera lovers: Galaxy Nexus
Early adopting tech elite: Galaxy Nexus
Average Joe: Droid RAZR
Former RAZR Users Who Want To Return To Nostalgia: Droid RAZR
Galaxy Nexus vs. Droid RAZR

I'm a software-obsessin', camera-lovin' android user and an early-adopter wannabe. Seems I have no other choice! ;)

Upvote 0
If the 10th ends up being the date we can have the phone in hand I'm gonna die. I get Lasik on the 11th and probably won't be able to see up close all weekend! True story.

lol

blah blah blah

CK, I thought you were gone! I read your "fisher price" comment about the SGN over with your BFF's and thought we'd never see your creepy baby face again.

Glad to see you. :)

Upvote 0
I am very attracted to the RAZR, but I think I'm going to have to go with the Nexus. I found this little point by point reasoning on what kind of user would choose each to be spot on.

Galaxy Nexus vs. Droid RAZR

I'm a software-obsessin', camera-lovin' android user and an early-adopter wannabe. Seems I have no other choice! ;)

Agree 100%. Razr looks very nice, and I love those angles on the corners. I just don't want to be locked down and blurred.

Fisher Price it is! :p

Reactions: jmar and jasaero
Upvote 0
If the 10th ends up being the date we can have the phone in hand I'm gonna die. I get Lasik on the 11th and probably won't be able to see up close all weekend! True story.

I've had it already. You should be good to go sooner than you think. Think I could see pretty darn clear in less than 24 hours. Really so long as the initial minor trauma and such doesn't last more than a few hours like it did me you start to see pretty clearly soon after that's over. Brightness and such will bother a bit longer, but the good vision came real quick for me. Kind of amazing really. PRK(think that's what it's called?) is a WHOLE different story.

Reactions: burntorangefan
Upvote 0
Another point, I was really leaning toward encouraging my husband to get a RAZR so I would at least have one around to play with....until I saw the NFC "bump" feature of the Nexus.

That is something that my hubby and I would use all the time. We are constantly trying to share items with one another and it is usually a very frustrating process of text messaging, emails, and searches. This would be a vast improvement for us.

So I don't know if he's going to get a Gnex, but his next will have NFC and ICS.

Upvote 0
Another point, I was really leaning toward encouraging my husband to get a RAZR so I would at least have one around to play with....until I saw the NFC "bump" feature of the Nexus.

That is something that my hubby and I would use all the time. We are constantly trying to share items with one another and it is usually a very frustrating process of text messaging, emails, and searches. This would be a vast improvement for us.

So I don't know if he's going to get a Gnex, but his next will have NFC and ICS.

Yeah, I really don't understand Moto's decisions in their line of phones lately. I mean, who cares if you're the thinnest around when your tech is almost a generation behind? Nexus resolution is 77% more than qHD on the Bionic and RAZR. No NFC, no removable battery, not even a barometer!! :p

Seriously, though, Moto is kind of lagging behind lately.

I know that "Beam" will only work with other Nexus devices at this point, but will NFC only work with Beam? Does anyone know whether I'll be able to use the NFC chip to bump and exchange stuff with my wife's iPhone?

Upvote 0
I don't know for sure about the resolution being able to be scaled back or not, but I know that my tv shows HD channels @ 720, but blu ray and dvd @1080. So I think that HD is broadcast in 720 to save bandwidth or along those lines, even though the tv has the capability of the higher resolution.

1920x540x60 (1080i) is approximately the same as 1280x720x60 (720p). Assuming full frames are broadcast at each cycle, both approximate a data rate of 60 MP/sec. (Because of the magic of TV frames coming in fields, it tends to be quite a bit lower than that - but 60MP/sec is a decent upper limit.

Not coincidentally - 1920x1080x30 (1080p ATSC) is also approximately a 60 MP/sec maximum data rate.

HD is HD. It's high def info, formatted in various ways - but it's simply HD.

I also seriously doubt the human eye can differentiate between 720/1080 on a 4.65 inch screen. (1) I hope it is an option though, (2) because I am fine with the way 720 shows up on my screen unless I am watching a Hollywood Blockbuster, and I doubt I'll be making any of those with my SGN :)

1. You are correct. Dead-on.

2. Not sure how you meant that. If you meant the screen to process 1080 - nope. The screen will only show what its native resolution allows. Everything on the screen will be at 720p anything else is left to the video scaler - just like a HDTV. If you mean the camera and MHL/HDMI out supporting options, I hope so too - I'd be way surprised if it didn't.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I really don't understand Moto's decisions in their line of phones lately. I mean, who cares if you're the thinnest around when your tech is almost a generation behind? Nexus resolution is 77% more than qHD on the Bionic and RAZR. No NFC, no removable battery, not even a barometer!! :p

Seriously, though, Moto is kind of lagging behind lately.

I know that "Beam" will only work with other Nexus devices at this point, but will NFC only work with Beam? Does anyone know whether I'll be able to use the NFC chip to bump and exchange stuff with my wife's iPhone?

i would assume that it wouldnt, but also devs will have apps to market soon to accomplish that.

Upvote 0
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't, except some enterprising developer would have to write an app for cross-platform communication and that might be very tricky. What I like about this in ICS is that it is built in rather than an add on, which hopefully means it will work flawlessly. :p

Upvote 0
Been following this God forsaken phone for a year!

Wait, so does that mean you are getting both phones then? And that you lied to your BFF's?

You need NFC on both sides (which the iPhone does not have) to use the beam feature. And you need ICS, for now, but that could easily change.

I thought iPhone did have NFC? How does the "bump" app work, then?

This phone is going to be so good out of the box if I do get it I may leave it stock for some time.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
Would be curious to know how many TV tuners support it also as I think 1080i was max in the early days in general. And since no one has really pushed for 1080p broadcasts I wonder if any of the tuners have even been tweaked even in newer TV's to support it? Never really looked into it, and I know lots of newer TV's support 1080p through various inputs, but not sure the tuners in them do usually?

I don't think so. Maybe some day - hence the spec inclusion.

(Assume you've also noticed my data rate post on HD, so that's not the issue.)

Right now, the main 1080p content source is movies - and they're content making 1080p with Blu-ray sales.

Besides - 1080p vs 720p OTA -> 1080p would have half the frame rate, max. So for sports and action, 720p TV is much, much better. Times 2 better. ;)

Which raises and interesting point - when you get your Gnex, try recording a bit in 720 and also 1080. Some phones limit all HD to 30 fps.

The video processing in the Gnex's heart may allow 720 at 60 fps.

Just speculating - will be interesting to see. Sorry if that's already covered, haven't read everything on this yet.

Upvote 0

Congrats on the surgery. You'll be fine the next day. Rest the first day and keep you eyes shut as much as possible.

I liked Lasik so much, I had it done 3 times :eek:. That's a true story as well.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the surgery. You'll be fine the next day. Rest the first day and keep you eyes shut as much as possible.

I liked Lasik so much, I had it done 3 times :eek:. That's a true story as well.

My wife had it done a couple of years ago, and I got to watch the surgery on a big screen tv in real time. It looked really creepy.

When they pull the shiny, glassy part of your eye off, the part underneath looks like a dry orange slice. Weird. Afterwards her eyes were really red. But I think she was fine the next day, or maybe the day after.

Upvote 0
My wife had it done a couple of years ago, and I got to watch the surgery on a big screen tv in real time. It looked really creepy.

When they pull the shiny, glassy part of your eye off, the part underneath looks like a dry orange slice. Weird. Afterwards her eyes were really red. But I think she was fine the next day, or maybe the day after.

My wife has dry eyes, so when she did it, she actually had a lot of discomfort for the entire day, next day she was OK. I didn't feel anything for any of the times.

Upvote 0
The razr does look nice but the thing making me lean towards the nexus is updates straight from google and not having to wait months after the update is out. If the razr got updates close to when the nexus did I may consider it but until then i will stick with nexus.

Well, ICS is reported to be coming in Feb to Razr. And, once Google owns Moto, i bet it will pressure Moto to get updates out quickly.

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones