• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread cleaned of hostile posts. :mad:

Consider this a formal mod warning.

The hostility and backbiting stops - and it stops right now. There won't even be a hint of further activity along these lines tolerated.

Failure to comply with a mod warning provides for penalties up to and including a no-posting probation.

Cool this off or we will.

I don't issue warnings twice.

Upvote 0
Amazon has an free part also i am just not sure how much music it is maybe 5 or 10 gigs.

Not sure on the google docs thing, dont really use it that much. Can you put huge pdf files into say dropbox? I think you will actually have to manually download it from dropbox on to your phone which may be counter productive

Amazon has a paid options from 20 GB to 1000 GB. I signed up for the free 5 GB, and then they gave me the 20 GB free when I bought some Amazon MP3s. 20 GB of cloud storage is plenty for me. And, for a limited time, they are offering a deal where your music does NOT count against your space limit with paid plans. https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore/ref=sa_menu_acd_lrn2

Upvote 0
My 6 Star Wars movies currently take up 12GB on my OG Droid... I can easily see them consuming 14+GB in high definition on Gnex. That leaves scarce little room for HD pics and videos I shoot :(

SO: Is there a place out there that can stream commercial movies that I own, converted and uploaded so I don't have to pack them onboard the phone? Otherwise, I may have to only load Episodes III and up (no huge loss there LOL)

Man I hope this thing comes out with 32GB, but something just tells me...

Upvote 0
My 6 Star Wars movies currently take up 12GB on my OG Droid... I can easily see them consuming 14+GB in high definition on Gnex. That leaves scarce little room for HD pics and videos I shoot :(

SO: Is there a place out there that can stream commercial movies that I own, converted and uploaded so I don't have to pack them onboard the phone? Otherwise, I may have to only load Episodes III and up (no huge loss there LOL)

Man I hope this thing comes out with 32GB, but something just tells me...

You can ensure that you have the streaming flag set on vids that you converted and just stream from Dropbox.

Or - just do this -

Pogoplug Software: Stream your photos, music and movies to the Web, your iPhone, iPad or Android

No doubt there are other options, too.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
You can ensure that you have the streaming flag set on vids that you converted and just stream from Dropbox.

Or - just do this -

Pogoplug Software: Stream your photos, music and movies to the Web, your iPhone, iPad or Android

Hmmm. So it streams media off my HOME PC to the interwebs and then down to my phone? But that means I need to leave my PC turned on all the time while I'm gone? Not my solution of choice but it IS a solution. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Dropbox is pretty cool but expensive! If I put years of photos, documents and videos up in the cloud, yeah I see that filling up the Pro50 Dropbox FAST. WHEW!

Upvote 0

Or - just do this -

Well, Dropbox's free 2GB would barely hold 1 HD movie, if that. Minus's 10GB would hold a few more. Pogoplug isn't cloud storage, really, because it streams movies from your computer to your device, which means you have to keep a computer running all the time. And if you wanted to do that, you could set up an Apache server or something for free.

For streaming movies, you could check out UltraViolet though I'm not totally sure how it works. Worth a shot though.

Edit: It seems like that only works with movies you buy from them or DVDs you buy from a store licensed by them. *shrug*

Upvote 0
this is where the lack of an sd expansion slot hurts bad. if you arent grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on vzw, all the cloud in the world wont help you stay under 2gb if you are trying to stream movies or lots of videos over LTE. really it just makes it more convenient to go over your allowance without thinking about it

Upvote 0
this is where the lack of an sd expansion slot hurts bad. if you arent grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on vzw, all the cloud in the world wont help you stay under 2gb if you are trying to stream movies or lots of videos over LTE. really it just makes it more convenient to go over your allowance without thinking about it

Too true. Best thing to do is use wifi when you can, but I guess that defeats the purpose of a mobile device :rolleyes:

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of gizmo where a drive connects to your MHL or MicroUSB port and latches onto the back or something. Like an extendable battery, but for storage.
Someone patent that now!

Reactions: zx10droid
Upvote 0
Too true. Best thing to do is use wifi when you can, but I guess that defeats the purpose of a mobile device :rolleyes:

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of gizmo where a drive connects to your MHL or MicroUSB port and latches onto the back or something. Like an extendable battery, but for storage.
Someone patent that now!

im sure theres a way to take a thumb drive and use a usb/miccro-usb adapter, i havent seen it but i can see it working if for instance you wanted to take some movies on a trip and watch themion the plane/car etc

edit: this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-male-...965523?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item415da4f353

edit 2: just realized what you meant.... someone takig these two things and mold them into a case for the nexus similar to a morphie juice pack, could be cool

Reactions: TheRoosevelt
Upvote 0
im sure theres a way to take a thumb drive and use a usb/miccro-usb adapter, i havent seen it but i can see it working if for instance you wanted to take some movies on a trip and watch themion the plane/car etc

edit: this Newegg.com - StarTech UUSBMUSBMF Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter M/F

Well that's just a microUSB to miniUSB adapter, but I see your point.

Edit: Would this work? http://tinyurl.com/3l79xlz
Or is USB on phones only one way? i.e. can you only use the phone as a storage device or can you also plug a storage device into the phone?

Upvote 0
Well that's just a microUSB to miniUSB adapter, but I see your point.

Edit: Would this work? EVERYDAYSOURCE USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter
Or is USB on phones only one way? i.e. can you only use the phone as a storage device or can you also plug a storage device into the phone?

link fixed in my first post, and thats mini usb, the phone will be micro. but it should work both ways, as on my dinc i can plug the usb up to the pc and go back and forth with files between my pc and phone

Upvote 0
Android seems to have the same problem with the iPhone that GM has with the Prius. Even with their flagship phone they still can't match what most consider an incremental improvement of the iPhone.

I want Samsung to take my money!
But I want the best phone. Give me gorilla glass, LTE, carbon fiber or some nice shiny metal. Give me the best dual core cpu, the best gpu out there and a big ass battery! Give me an SD slot and 32GB, don't waste the effort with two different storage sizes. Give me something that is worth the wait!

Note to Samsung: Next year (Q4) I expect quad cores and 64GB standard. :D

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
USB is not a two way street.

[psuedo-technical info ahead]
USB has 4 rails to connect to the computer. a Data+, Data-, Voltage+, and Voltage- rain, abbreviated D+, D-, V+, V-. The v rails are for power, and thus only carry 5VDC, with the V+ rail having 3.3V and the V- rial holding -1.7V (IIRC--long time since I read a USB spec sheet. Even then, I wanted shielding info, not data transmission spec). The two D rails are where data is transmitted.

So, when you plug a phone into a computer this is what happens"
1) computer applies the voltages to V- and V+, limiting to 100mA

2)Device (phone) then brings the D- (could be D+...I forget) rail to some voltage (probably 1.7) to signify if it wants just 100mA (think usb drives) or if it wants the full 500mA that USB is spec'd to provide.

3)Other routines to tell the host (computer) what the device is (a phone, external HD, external DAC, mouse, etc)

4) Data transmission on the D+ and D- rails.

So, you see that the host (computer) has to do a different set of interpretations than the phone. Having host capabilities/drivers can be coded into Android (The Nexus one has this with some ROMs, I believe) However, it IS NOT stock, and you cannot expect to just go plugging in a microSD card with some adapters and expect it to work.

[end technical stuff]

So, while possible, a dev needs to code it into a ROM. it is not a stock functionality.

EDIT: put stuff in hide/show tags so that no one had to read it if they did not want to. I believe this thread has gone into too many technical offshoots that only a few really care about, so I did not want to induce another one.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones