1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magdelaine

magdelaine Well-Known Member

FWIW CK, although I'm leaning Gnex I think I won't know which phone will really be mine until I see them side by side. The RAZR is just sweet lookin', tough hardware.
    cereal killer likes this.
  2. I am kind of glad the razr is coming out a couple weeks before the nexus(supposedly) it will give time for reviews and any bugs that are present to be pointed out and then decide what phone I want.
    Mate01 likes this.
  3. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

^^^ +1
  4. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

jmar likes this.
  5. zx10droid

zx10droid Well-Known Member

kyler13 likes this.
  6. SpeakerBox

SpeakerBox Well-Known Member

From what I see, I don't think it's "waterproof", maybe water resistant, but waterproof is a bit of a stretch. Let us know how that shower and a movie goes though. lol :D

The New DROID RAZR - Android Smartphone - Ultra-Thin - KEVLAR Strong - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
  7. giomasterg

giomasterg Well-Known Member

The nexus a has amazing GPS I get a lock in seconds
  8. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

You need a data connection to get your credentials into the NFC chip, and get data from the chip.

If there are no pins allocated for data, then it can't work. I'm not discounting that some mfrs have the forsight to include "reserved for future use" contacts that they could define for it. Or that some phone batteries may even have the signal paths required. Apparently, some older blackberries had extra connections and were able to be retrofitted because of this (through data port, not battery).

That's if NFC is even in the battery, which I'm not convinced it is. While the battery may be marked with it, it could just be the only location for marking. Not uncommon in tight spaces to mark where ever you can. The Nexus S has it's NFC chip in the rear door (so I read).

Now, there are some SD cards that are supposed to be marketed soon that will have NFC.

However, I thought you might get a laugh at how the iPhone guys do it.
    Add NFC payment capability to your iPhone 4 | TiPb
  9. nj02vette

Good to hear. :cool:
  10. Also with the supposed barometer in the galaxy nexus that is supposed to help with gps also.
  11. brain85

brain85 Well-Known Member

I heard the galaxy nexus pops in some waffles in the toaster 5 minutes before you wake up each morning.
  12. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

Better handheld GPS units have had an onboard barometric altimiter for years now. It isn't new tech, just new phone tech.

My 5 year old Garmin 60csx has one.
  13. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Don
  14. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I am really tempted to pick up nexus s since I don't see galaxy nexus coming to att any time soon
  15. xtop

xtop Well-Known Member

Special Stickers Will Bring Google Wallet To Android Phones That Lack NFC | TechCrunch

16. nj02vette

callmeox likes this.
  17. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

H.Lo:

Battery voltage drops as the cell is discharging. The meter on your phone uses this in its calculation.
    nj02vette likes this.
  18. nj02vette

What they are doing is printing a NFC chip and sticking it to your phone. But you can't input your credentials into the chip, or change that information like you can with the built in NFC. You'd have to order it special and couldn't change anything.

It's about as sophisticated as taping your NFC bank card to the back of your phone, like the iPhone4 example I linked to earlier.
  19. xtop

xtop Well-Known Member

oh i wasn't trying to discredit you or anything, just putting it out there :)

and from what i can find searching the net, everyone seems pretty confused about whether or not nfc is actually in the battery. i see mentions of the nfc antenna being in the battery, and the nfc chip in the phone. makes more sense i suppose
  20. akgrown

akgrown Member

On the Google Music subject, I was mucking around when I first got my beta invite, and used SQLite to open the serverdatabase.db file (C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Google\MusicManager). I thought it was verrrrrrry interesting that there were db columns for VIDEO file info alongside all the music file info columns.

It may have just been left in by accident, but I took it to mean that GMusic is just the tip of the iceberg...er, cloud...for Google's services.
    drbugsmn likes this.
  21. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Honestly, the Razr looks sweet to me and the hardware is wonderful, but I've had an encrypted bootloader on my DX since July 15th a year ago. It wasn't an issue then, but then I learned now to root, rom and mod in a big way. I felt too limited.

Yes, it's a beautiful phone, it would warrant my serious consideration, but I can't see how any serious modder could stand for the encryption. This is just my perspective.
  22. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

I agree, although I think I'll be sticking with stock ICS for a long while. I'm kind of sick of modding right now. But I know once I get the bug again, CM9 will be out, as well as many, many others.

This will be a dev's wonderland device! :D
  23. eyetek

eyetek Well-Known Member

I looked into the pogoplug idea and in fact they just released a new pogoplug mobile device this week. It allows you to connect a SD card or HD via USB to your router so the main computer does not have to be turned on. Price of the device is $79 and is available now. It also allows an automatic behind the scene backup of your files on the android device back to the storage device.

I've done some review searches tonight and I'm impressed so far, I may pull the trigger on this one for a full service private home based cloud option. :cool:
  24. brain85

brain85 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.