***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I hear a lot of forum chatter about how pretty these things are, sleek is best, never cover the magic, etc, but when I go to the local pub to catch a basket of fish of chips with the game, all down the bar, all I see are Otter or Seido cases or the like.

Once I saw a uncased Evo in a pub, but I didn't take pics so I can't back that up.

Wondering about this crowd - phone: cased & armored or nekkid? How will that xlate to the Gnex?

kcs7272 likes this.
  2. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Well-Known Member

I'm a clutz so a case is a must
    red66charger, Mach Droid and EarlyMon like this.
  3. Trent Reznor

Trent Reznor Well-Known Member

Nekkid from day one!!!

But with a screen protector!!
  4. kcs7272

kcs7272 Well-Known Member

That thing is blazing fast!!!!!! I loved webOS and I love how Android now incorporated the best of its features in ICS. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!¡!!
  5. TheRoosevelt

TheRoosevelt Well-Known Member

I'll get a case, but I'll probably take it off and stare at it with drool dripping down my chin when I'm at home and there's no danger of me dropping it.
  6. gapi

gapi VIP Member VIP Member

One of the 1st videos I've seen where it did not take several swipes and taps for a response. I figure the others were operator errors.
    kcs7272 likes this.
  7. I only cased the iphone because well it was all glass and one drop and that phone would be done. Never cased any android phone and will continue to not put a case on the nexus.
  8. kcs7272

kcs7272 Well-Known Member

Invisible shield on the back. That's how I'm gonna roll. Unless its like my old X then I'm naked baby! Actually I like the shell holster combo I have from VZW for my Charge.
  9. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

A week after I got my shiney new Incredible, it hit the pavement. I was going to case it, but got the DX instead. A week after the DX, it hit the pavement. I put a case on it and hated it. Off it came, and I don't think I'll put another case on. Screen protector, yes. But no case.

Most of my prevoius phones have had a case or cover of some sort, but no more.
  10. Trent Reznor

Trent Reznor Well-Known Member

On the thisismynext podcast they said there were a lot of earlier builds floating around at the announcement... I'm chalking it up to this.
  11. zx10droid

zx10droid Well-Known Member

i have a seideo on my dinc with the zagg invisilble shield, after NUMBEROUS drops from 6+ feet, it still looks brand new under the armor
    EarlyMon likes this.
  12. Most likely the others were user error. Hopefully more videos will start popping up soon for those who aren't sure about whether they want it or not.
  13. jmanderson10

jmanderson10 Member

I've never put a case or screen protector on a phone and am not going to start with this beaut. Is the general consensus that screen protectors are even necessary? My OG's glass is still in great shape and the ipods/ipads that I have used have never seemed to have a problem.
  14. cereal killer

cereal killer Well-Known Member

Security is a huge issue.
    drbugsmn likes this.
  15. TheRoosevelt

I have no trouble believing this. GSMarena even got one of the really old builds with the old music app, old graphics, and the solid soft keys... That one did have a bunch of lag: Galaxy Nexus hands-on video - YouTube
    Trent Reznor likes this.
  16. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

No way am I putting Gnex in a case. That's like keeping a Lamborghini in the garage its whole life... yeah, the Lambo's safe but you can't really show off its beautiful lines and appreciate it. Nekkid, though I will TRY a screen protector (may take it off again, though).
  17. nj02vette

Not sure I like the comment that "1 out of 5 pictures weren't blurry". I understand that a camera that takes too long to focus isn't going to get the shot you want (believe me, I understand with two young children), but at the same time, a blurry pic isn't going to do it either.

I hope there is a setting that forces an autofocus before the picture, or such.
    3vil likes this.
  18. nj02vette

Sadly, most people do keep thier Lambo in the garage. Not uncommon to see a 1980's Lambo with under 3000 miles.
  19. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

If it helps, my son has a 1982 Datsun 280ZX and yes, he DRIVES it! :cool:
  20. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

That little video is beast.
  21. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

I have my OG Droid in a Seido Innocase. All of the retaining clips are broken off, so the back is taped to the phone with double sided tape and the front is held on with a few spots of super glue.

I also keep it in a slip cover to keep it from opening in my pocket. I'm done with slider phones.

No screen protector, but I do have one annoying scratch.

My future Gnex will have both a case and a screen protector.
  22. jaydotelloh

jaydotelloh Well-Known Member

Yea, this build looked AWFUL...It looks like a bad blend between Gingerbread and Honeycomb, and didn't look all "together". It's Amazing how far ICS came from that build.
  23. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

I believe there is a way to pre-focus and it's accomplished by touching the screen first where you want the point of focus.
    nj02vette likes this.
  24. TheRoosevelt

I think she meant that you get blurry pics when you take a bunch in quick succession. Which is understandable.
    If you're taking one at a time and giving the phone time to focus I think you'll get good photos more consistently
  25. booser4

booser4 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to find another soft sleeve similar to what Google put out with the Nexus 1. It's just a simple soft black pouch with an Android robot logo on it. Personally that's all I used for my Incredible so it wouldn't get scratched by anything I happen to have in my pocket. Not to mention it provided some minimal shock absorption when I dropped it a couple times and it was still in the sleeve.

I would love to find a sleeve / pouch just like that or very similar for the G Nexus. I refuse to do screen protectors or big bulky cases, because they take away from the nice design of the phone. Anyone know where they sell pouches / sleeves like that? I doubt Google will be sending one in the box like they did with the Nexus 1.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.