• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite casing solution for mobile devices is offered by WaterField here. They're dirt cheap (usually less than $15 shipped), extra soft so your device doesn't get scratched, they don't get stuck in your pocket, and they add almost no bulk. If you're someone who likes a naked device, then you're doing yourself a disservice not getting one of those. I've had one for my Zune HD for about two years and it's held up great.
I'd give them two or three weeks or so after the GNex comes out to release the correct size.

Edit: They look much better in person than they do on the site. The actual product is more of a deep black than a dark gray.

I like those style of cases but don't you find it cumbersome to take it out of your pocket then out of the case every time you use the phone?

And second (or third or fourth) to the group that doesn't care about SD card if its 32 gb (or 16 if I'm being honest).

And to everyone who talks football occasionally I'm a Colts fan so you can all suck it. I'll just pour myself another scotch before kickoff.....

Reactions: Sharpe Man
Upvote 0
theres only one thing that bothers me about not having an sd card. i have a 4 month old, and i tend to have my phone nearby most of the time so it gets used to capture a lot of photos. with my dinc, i just have all the photos automatically saved to the sd, so if the phone dies, who cares, i just take out the card and put it into the next phone and still have all my data. with no card, its basically forcing me to either (A)pull the files from it onto the computer everytime i add something or(B)use something like picasa or photobucket to save them to the cloud, thus eating into my data allowance before throttling(grandfathered into unlimited). neither of those are deal breakers, just in my case, make things slightly less convenient.

edit: also videos, which arent as quick or as small of file size

Upvote 0
theres only one thing that bothers me about not having an sd card. i have a 4 month old, and i tend to have my phone nearby most of the time so it gets used to capture a lot of photos. with my dinc, i just have all the photos automatically saved to the sd, so if the phone dies, who cares, i just take out the card and put it into the next phone and still have all my data. with no card, its basically forcing me to either (A)pull the files from it onto the computer everytime i add something or(B)use something like picasa or photobucket to save them to the cloud, thus eating into my data allowance before throttling(grandfathered into unlimited). neither of those are deal breakers, just in my case, make things slightly less convenient.

Taking 100 pictures in a day won't eat into your data allowance compared to one HD movie.

But your concern about backup is valid.

Upvote 0
So, apparently the SGN has MHL for HD Video to my awesome Samsung tv. Can someone enlighten me on how this is supposed to work? Is there an extra port on the phone? How do I hook it up to my TV?

Not much use in recording in 1080P if I cant watch it on my 1080P LED TV...

No extra port, it's a combination USB and HDMI. You need a dongle that plugs into the phone, and then plugs into an HDMI cable. As I understand it, any micro USB plug will work fine, but you'll need an adapter for HDMI.

Reactions: jaydotelloh
Upvote 0
No extra port, it's a combination USB and HDMI. You need a dongle that plugs into the phone, and then plugs into an HDMI cable. As I understand it, any micro USB plug will work fine, but you'll need an adapter for HDMI.

Ah, I got it, thought it was a wireless protocol. I was going to be very upset if it was wireless as my TV is not. :D:D

Upvote 0
Not sure if this is based on the leaked MAP list or not, but I'm throwing it out there:

Galaxy Nexus, RAZR, Rezound release dates on Verizon slip out

Two and a half weeks??? I can deal with that! :D

Sure you can wait?

total-recall-two-weeks.jpg

Reactions: magdelaine
Upvote 0
So, apparently the SGN has MHL for HD Video to my awesome Samsung tv. Can someone enlighten me on how this is supposed to work? Is there an extra port on the phone? How do I hook it up to my TV?

Not much use in recording in 1080P if I cant watch it on my 1080P LED TV...

Buy this, and connect it to your TV with an HDMI cable.
I know it's Galaxy S2 branded, but it should work exactly the same. In any case, I'm sure Samsung will sell an official one for the Nexus too.

Edit: actually, does the Galaxy S2 come with the MHL adapter bundled in? I think I read that somewhere. If so, I'm guessing the Nexus will too.

Reactions: jaydotelloh
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Buy this, and connect it to your TV with an HDMI cable.
I know it's Galaxy S2 branded, but it should work exactly the same. In any case, I'm sure Samsung will sell an official one for the Nexus too.

Edit: actually, does the Galaxy S2 come with the MHL adapter bundled in? I think I read that somewhere. If so, I'm guessing the Nexus will too.

Save your cash and get it here.

Reactions: drbugsmn
Upvote 0
I like those style of cases but don't you find it cumbersome to take it out of your pocket then out of the case every time you use the phone?
Not really. After a while it becomes second nature. I keep my Zune in my left pocket, so my left hand pulls out the device and simultaneously pushes in the top of the case so it slides out a little ways. Then it's a simply a matter of placing the Zune in my right hand, pulling away the case, and unlocking the screen. It maybe adds 1/4 of a second on to the time it would usually take to unlock it, with the added benefit of being protected in my pocket. That extra 1/4 of a second isn't even the biggest deal. :D

Upvote 0
Yeap.

I hear a lot of forum chatter about how pretty these things are, sleek is best, never cover the magic, etc, but when I go to the local pub to catch a basket of fish of chips with the game, all down the bar, all I see are Otter or Seido cases or the like.

Once I saw a uncased Evo in a pub, but I didn't take pics so I can't back that up.

Wondering about this crowd - phone: cased & armored or nekkid? How will that xlate to the Gnex?

My Dinc is used nekkid, but it goes into the thin leather Sena case when pocketed.

Upvote 0
If we're just streaming TV/music and uploading pics, I doubt very seriously that Verizon is going to throttle us. I think they reserve that honor for the top 5% of data hogs who are torrenting 24/7, eating up mega-gigas a month. Don't worry, be happy.

I know I've read that in most markets, the top 5% falls in around 2gb/month.

Conveniently...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones