***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Not to mention pure ics will run smoother than skinned uis.

Advertisement
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Well-Known Member

Absolutely. A big screen will be a selling point for sure. Great points by all.

Keep in mind I'm not saying the Nexus will sell poorly. I'm just talking about in the grand scheme of things it has it's work cut out for it because it's going against heavily marketed devices.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  3. cereal killer

You seen TW 4.0 in action? It's silk..........maybe back in the day this statement was true but the manufacturers are really making huge strides in regards to this.
    connormoore725 and EarlyMon like this.
  4. It still runs even smoother with stock android.
    Haelous and Travillion like this.
  5. BLD

BLD Well-Known Member

You just hit on a very interesting point with the OS and it really comes down to the simplified way people look at things. The average buyer doesn't know the difference between vanilla and skinned but they also don't know the different between MotoBlur, Sense, or TouchWiz either. There is one thing then will know the difference between and it should be plain as day on the place cards in front of the phones. They'll see all the other phones are Android 2.3.5 and that the Nexus is Android 4.0. To the average buyer this will look like a way newer OS than the others (it kind of is) and most buyers will want the latest and greatest because newest is always best (again that marketing drilled into their heads).

I think if you put the Nexus, Razr, and Rezound next to each other and break them down to their simplest stats that you'll see a lot of buyers go for the Nexus because of the screen and the newest OS.
    Rrrracer likes this.
  6. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

you should address my post :D
    EarlyMon likes this.
  7. gapi

gapi VIP Member VIP Member

I'm waiting to hear about the sound quality and mostly the ringtone volume level of the external speaker.
    I see all the hands on and I guess at 1st that's what we get but I wish someone would report on the phones noise.

Some info.

The TWL6030 and 6040 are meant to be companion ICs for the OMAP4 platform, one providing power management and the other providing audio, that's why the TWL6040 is listed under power management when it's actually an audio codec. A tear-down only found the TWL6030 inside, for audio it uses the Wolfson.

The datasheet for the TWL6040: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...1/TWL6040.html
  8. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

It's largely the opposite. Skinned UIs typically ran faster than stock simply because the skinned UI was designed for THAT device and could enable HW acceleration (Sense, TW). Stock ran without HW acceleration due to some older design concepts which Google has commented on. That went out the window with Honeycomb.

If they're now enabling HW acceleration for UI elements, skinned UIs will be faster or slower based on what they're doing. For example, in some of these videos you can see extensive use of transparent layers in ICS. More layers = less performance, so it's all up to what the OEM wants. They can still offer a distinctive, user-friendly, yet simply UI that is faster. Or, they can go all out with 3D, transparency, shaders, and slow it down. It's really up to their design and software developers.
    EarlyMon, drbugsmn and cereal killer like this.
  9. Blur and those were reason for many of the bugs and issues and always had more issues than stock devices.
    Travillion likes this.
  10. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where a lot of this "Gnex won't be heavily marketed by Verizon" comes from.

I see plenty of phones without the Droid branding get marketed heavily. Samsung Fascinate for instance, I saw 10X more commercials for that phone then I ever saw for the Droid X and OG Droid combined. I know my anecdotal evidence isn't fact, but that's at least what I saw.

Back to topic, marketing a product is a balance of spending money, to make money. If a product has tremendous hype, why spend huge amounts of money to sell a product that is already going to sell. Conversely, if sales falter, ad campains are launched to drive sales again. There's always an initial launch campain, but after that, the sales will determine how much money they spend.

That's just Marketing 101. So if this thing gets heavily promoted, there's a good chance that it's because Verizon will believe sales volume could be higher. If not, then it's most likely the product is selling well and they don't have to do much at all.
    EarlyMon and BLD like this.
  11. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

To be fair, it was my source who told me that the phone won't be as heavily marketed as the droid.
    The_Chief and EarlyMon like this.
  12. Any new tidbits of info from your source? Maybe some hints of a release?
  13. Travillion

Travillion Well-Known Member

I don't understand any of this... but I'd like to :)
    redraider1 likes this.
  14. Kaddoble

Kaddoble Well-Known Member

I think one thing that will tip the Nexus to sell more than previous Nexus's is the fact that its called the GALAXY nexus. Not the other way around, which I initially found interesting as it is supposed to be Google's phone. However, it is a smart business move IMHO because the average consumer knows and loves the Galaxy brand.
    Travillion, EarlyMon and BLD like this.
  15. BLD

BLD Well-Known Member

Good point. And on the marketing front who's to say that just because Verizon doesn't put much into the marketing that Google/Samsung won't? Google has clearly changed the direction of their OS design to make it more user friendly so who's to say they don't make more of a marketing push to sell Android as an OS to customers too. And Samsung has interest in pushing this phone since it would continue the success of the Galaxy branding.
    Rrrracer, EarlyMon and Kaddoble like this.
  16. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

Business development can change course very quickly, and upper management doesn't usually reveal everything to thier employees.

Look how much changed in such a short period of time.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  17. cereal killer

I just completely disagree with it :) but I sincerely respect your opinion
    EarlyMon likes this.
  18. ThEoRy36O

ThEoRy36O Well-Known Member

By verizon that is. Thats not to say samsung or google arent going to heavily market it though.
  19. gapi

gapi VIP Member VIP Member

20. rhietpas

rhietpas Well-Known Member

Google, for whatever reason, seems almost embarrassed to toot their own horn.
    cereal killer likes this.
  21. cereal killer

Don't count on it. Besides who cares how much money they throw at it. It's a great device and thats all that matters
    EarlyMon likes this.
  22. mongstradamus

mongstradamus Well-Known Member

I just don't think Google knows how to market to consumers they could learn something from Apple in that regard.
  23. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Whoa, Nellie!

Ok - this is mega important.

I'm going to respectfully request that you post this as a user request here -

Suggestion Box & Feedback - Android Forums

Please point out that a bright screen is not battery friendly to SAMOLED-type screens in addition to being irritating. If you're unsure on that point, just say I put you up to it. ;) :)

Request that the Phandroid app get an option for light/dark themes to accommodate both LCD and SAMOLED users.

Phases - our Admin, The Man With The Plan and The Power - will see it, and it will 100% make a difference coming from you, one of our great members, than second-hand from me or anyone else.

Say as little or as much on this in your own words - and PLEASE Gnexers and other SAMOLED fans - chime in and make your voices heard.

The best app ideas come from the app users.

Ask for an option - a choice! - because at AndroidForums.com, we are all about choice being good!!! :) :) :)

And while you're there - good idea to suggest that the time for ICS and HD support is at hand.

Please be patient - our devs will need to investigate the changes required.

But nothing changes unless you, our pals, give us the feedback to make it happen! :)

Cheer, thanks a lot!
    jmt9779, Tytan, bldgengineer and 6 others like this.
  24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

MOD Note!

Challenging claims is a cornerstone of what we do here.

And agreeing to disagree in a friendly fashion is the highest form of politeness and discourse.

I just wanted to make this post to sincerely compliment both sides here for such respectful, outstanding posting values. :) :)
  25. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

Will do (you just won't see it till Friday morning though cause I don't wanna turn on the computer and its too much to type on the phone right now)

Thanks for pointing me in that direction though.
    EarlyMon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.