• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
What?? No TV?? Why may I ask? (The only time I ever did that route is when I couldn't afford the bill)

Oh I didn't say we don't have TV... we have satellite and I rarely get on the thing except for news/weather. I get most of my stuff online these days. I just don't like TV anymore. Besides, the Darling Bride is usually on it watching Wifetime Television or every episode of NCIS for the 12th time :rolleyes:

But part of our new entertainment center later this month will be Dish Network's VIP 922 HD receiver, which will allow me to stream any subscribed channel LIVE, and any DVR content we have, free to the Nexus. Think I can do that on the OG Droid? (insert maniacal laughter here)

Another reason I want the Nexus sooner rather than later (back on topic post read and adhered to) :)

Upvote 0
I find the slightest bit of encouragement in the text below in red:

Originally Posted by The Source
Well, I have some concerning news that might push you over the edge. . .I'm hearing that there is some issue with meeting production and supply demands. I can't say if that will affect the release date, because I don't know. But there is a problem.

Sorry.

Upvote 0
I call shenanigans.

I tend to agree with this. Not saying that the Love Tunnel is a liar, but he does say "I'm hearing that....".

It doesn't seem like he's on the scene. It's more like he's giving us hearsay that he thinks is valuable. The problem is, we have no idea who is telling him this, other than assuming they work at Verizon like he does. But could it be someone who knows that he's leaking it, and wants to stir the pot or hype up demand even more?

Or is the person who is feeding the Love Tunnel wrong?

Too many possibilities. I don't doubt the Love Tunnel is legit. I'm just not jumping on the panic wagon because I have no idea who is feeding him this info.

Reactions: atrain311
Upvote 0
The source is Verizon. They wouldn't know about phones destined for other carriers, imo.

I was thinking the same thing. I was wondering what was causing any supply issue. With the Droid Incredible it was the lack of Amoled screens coming out of Samsung. I'm at a loss to figure out where the supply issue problem is, in this situation.

Any point in the supply chain could be causing this.

Google didn't set the world on fire with the first two Nexii. If I were a supplier, I wouldn't have been betting the farm on the Galaxy Nexus setting the world on fire.

There had to be allocations for production by region (configuration) - yet a mostly common parts base serving all regions.

Samsung can be expected to do what any large makers does in this case with an unexpected demand - provide preferential delivery to those regions (outlets) making them the most money, with an eye on least damage against pent-up demand (read: least damage, because the no-damage scenario is out of the question).

Just a speculation.

Upvote 0
When the Incredible was first released there were massive massive shortages. And we think that VZW underestimated how popular the phone would be on top of that so they were doubly screwed. Many of us had to wait a minimum of 4 weeks to get the phone once the shortage occurred and some of us were up to 6 weeks after we ordered it. People were calling stores and taking long lunches to go get the phone if one was discovered. Verizon gave a different answer every time you called to see what the delay was. It was a nightmare.

Those of us involved in that are experiencing deja vu

Yes it was miserable, as people would post they got their shipping notices (and when their original order date was), and those dates marched ever so slowly towards your order date. The real fun is the various warehouses were shipping different date ranges, so a few times people's order date was 3 or 4 days ahead of someone else's and yet they were forced to wait and here about the later group celebrating.

Upvote 0
Thank you for being brilliant.

Google didn't set the world on fire with the first two Nexii. If I were a supplier, I wouldn't have been betting the farm on the Galaxy Nexus setting the world on fire.

There had to be allocations for production by region (configuration) - yet a mostly common parts base serving all regions.

Samsung can be expected to do what any large makers does in this case with an unexpected demand - provide preferential delivery to those regions (outlets) making them the most money, with an eye on least damage against pent-up demand (read: least damage, because the no-damage scenario is out of the question).

Just a speculation.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Samsung can be expected to do what any large makers does in this case - provide preferential delivery to those regions (outlets) making them the most money, with an eye on least damage against pent-up demand (read: least damage, because the no-damage scenario is out of the question).

Just a speculation.

That's a great point. And it would explain why there's seemingly no problem with supply and demand in Europe, because you've got multiple carriers on the same type of network (GSM), while in the U.S. you've only got one carrier on one network that is slated to release it. Demand will probably be estimated to be much higher in Europe, and Samsung/Google's efforts in production will reflect that.

Upvote 0
So when pre-ordering, is it best to call or to do it online? Or is online pre-order the only option? I would much rather talk to someone when I am ordering.

A lot of times you can call and talk to someone as you are doing it yourself. That's how my DInc got ordered and my Continuum. I do as they watch to make sure all is good.

Just a speculation.

I like the way your mind works.

Upvote 0

Just a speculation.

Great speculation!

But can't we safely conclude that Verizon has several distribution centers full of Nexii at this stage in the game? Can't they go ahead and mark those for pre-orders while getting their logistics straight on a device (I believe) they don't even want in the physical stores?

Upvote 0
Great speculation!

But can't we safely conclude that Verizon has several distribution centers full of Nexii at this stage in the game? Can't they go ahead and mark those for pre-orders while getting their logistics straight on a device (I believe) they don't even want in the physical stores?

I agree. Do preorders now and ship out the ones you have on a first come first serve basis and then the other preorders would wait until more stock comes in. I feel like they would have enough preorder stock to atleast go for those who want to preorder.

Upvote 0
I agree. Do preorders now and ship out the ones you have on a first come first serve basis and then the other preorders would wait until more stock comes in. I feel like they would have enough preorder stock to atleast go for those who want to preorder.

Especially if they don't make a huge song and dance about it. They could simply send an email to those who signed up before November 1 and let them know that they can pre-order, and let the chips fall where they may.

Upvote 0
Would it also be possible that they suspect there will be a shortage based on the interest expressed on the Verizon signup page?

I know that numbers are played prior to production with any project and maybe Verizon ordered too few based on their speculated figures?

Follow me for a second.

X = average number of actual purchases based on webpage info registrations for a device.

If X > actual orders.... Uh oh?

Upvote 0
Great speculation!

All I can offer in further speculation is that tech manufacturing and international shipping methods, designed to control inventory costs, from raw materials to warehoused goods, is staggering in complexity and attention to detail.

Personally, I don't know.

Upvote 0
This is starting to push me closer to the Vigor / Re-Hound.

I think I might have to cave, and get one of these instead
jitterbug_08.jpg

Upvote 0
We also have to remember that we don't know what changes there are between the GSM and LTE (Verizon) version heading to the states. The obvious ones would be the radio and battery, but also probably would be storage. Seems UK is only getting 16GB options so this might be holding up production as well since maybe Verizon wants a 32GB version at least.

The lack of supply is probably somewhere there, but I would hope they do pre-orders with whatever stock they currently have instead of pushing the entire release back more.

Upvote 0
Especially if they don't make a huge song and dance about it. They could simply send an email to those who signed up before November 1 and let them know that they can pre-order, and let the chips fall where they may.

Exactly or just open up preorders on the site without saying anything sort of how they did with the droid 3. I mean all the people that signed up for info most likely all wont purchase or wont purchase from the start. No reason to sit on the stock you have, you aren't making money off them sitting in the warehouse.

Upvote 0
So when pre-ordering, is it best to call or to do it online? Or is online pre-order the only option? I would much rather talk to someone when I am ordering.

Doesnt really matter, even the folks at the store can preorder it for you (and they get credit for the sale)..you still get the email when it has shipped but youre in the dark till you get the email...so if you know someone in a store by all means get them a commission...I tend to as well, especially since the manager friend lets me upgrade 8 months early on a regular basis.

Reactions: redchilicat
Upvote 0
This is starting to push me closer to the Vigor / Re-Hound.

The hands-on posted on Phandroid earlier did look super tempting, but... I don't know if I could live with myself for buying a gingerbread device just one or two or even a few weeks before a device running ICS came out. Plus HTC isn't actually renowned (ahem, rezound) for their devices' thinness either...

No matter how long it takes, I'm sticking with the Nexus (and not because I want to spite Verizon or anything, the SGN is simply the best option).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones