• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so but I don't know I could see a black friday release .

I am really impressed with the Rezound and have always loved my HTC phones Eris- Incredible - Tbolt - even the EVO .... I think I'll more then likely pick up the Rezound and give it a test run before getting the Nexus

I hope so, it would fit a 3-day pattern, 11, 14, 17 :D

im sorry guys but i think the nexus will drop 14 days (return period) after the rezound dec 1st or 2. i hope im wrong

Upvote 0
Well, if you are that sure that the iPhone isn't self-bashing, by all means, go for it. :)

Srsly tho - please keep the owner-bashing on the low. iPhone converts are coming over in droves, best thing is to welcoming to all comers - just like Android. ;)

I think I was thinking more along the lines of the ridiculous "Siri is a Google Killer" article.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Why would you root on a Nexus phone? You lose OTA OS updates, right? And since there is already no bloatware... what would be the point?

I rooted my Hero to get rid of the bloatware, speed it up, and increase space. But will that be necessary on an GN?

Seriously asking.

You don't lose OTA updates, but you do if you flash a custom ROM.

Upvote 0
im sorry guys but i think the nexus will drop 14 days (return period) after the rezound dec 1st or 2. i hope im wrong

It could be that it drops on Dec. 1st, but I don't think it will be because of the 14-day return period of the Rezound. You can return that phone any time within that period, and since it doesn't take two weeks to evaluate a phone, I don't quite buy that argument.

So, I can get the Rezound on the 14th, return it on the 21st and just wait it out another week or so for the Dec 1st date and get the Nexus.

Upvote 0
Why would you root on a Nexus phone? You lose OTA OS updates, right? And since there is already no bloatware... what would be the point?

I rooted my Hero to get rid of the bloatware, speed it up, and increase space. But will that be necessary on an GN?

Seriously asking.

As far as I know, you will not lose OTA updates unless you flash a rom that blocks them.

I will root because I would like to simply have the option of flashing a custom rom, overclocking, etc. Not that I will necessarily do those things, but having the option is nice. And waiting to do it can be a pain because it completely wipes the phone.

Upvote 0

Seriously asking.

no, you won't lose OTA OS updates per-say.

I think people who develop apps etc. need superuser access. Plus there are a lot of apps developed by said people which only work on rooted phones, but are very nice to have.

these are great reason's why one would want to root. those reasons plus i love to keep a MIUI build on my device. also advanced power menus, tweaks... all sorts of stuff that i'm sure ICS will still be missing that should be stock on ALL Android devices. with Open Source, there are always improvements that can be made somewhere.
to the everyday consumer, no they won't really need root

Upvote 0

Seriously asking.

Symptoms change but not the cause.

When you root a phone, you make it possible to customize it it in unique ways to make it specifically yours. :)

Re-arrangements to the file system layout, processor speed comes immediately to mind, as does performing a true battery calibration, or even changing your radio characteristics. I'm running a full Ubuntu Linux distribution on my phone, parallel to Android (root required).

Root is a very good thing for many people. At the same time, many people have no need of it.

It may be a Nexus with ICS, but first - this is Android, where choice is good.

Upvote 0

When you root a phone, you make it possible to customize it it in unique ways to make it specifically yours. :)

Re-arrangements to the file system layout, processor speed comes immediately to mind, as does performing a true battery calibration, or even changing your radio characteristics. I'm running a full Ubuntu Linux distribution on my phone, parallel to Android (root required).

Root is a very good thing for many people. At the same time, any people have no need of it.

I'm fascinated by the wealth of tweaks and individualization possible on Anddroid! I remember that same feeling of excitement back when I got my OG and it's nice to feel that again finally :)

I would love to do some of the things that roots make possible, but I don't think I have the knowledge, time, or patience to do it right now. But I like that it will be easier on the Gnex should I get the chance to have another little hobby like that.

Upvote 0

Seriously asking.

Custom options/roms, tethering, full system backups, root explorer.

Upvote 0
I would love to do some of the things that roots make possible, but I don't think I have the knowledge, time, or patience to do it right now. But I like that it will be easier on the Gnex should I get the chance to have another little hobby like that.

That's the beauty of a Nexus... they come ready to root out of the box. It won't be long at all before a one click solution is introduced.

Upvote 0
Custom options/roms, tethering, full system backups, root explorer.

why is rooting a good option for full system back-ups? if say you had to saw handsets or upgrade and wanted to restore, is it easier? i've noticed some of the apps in the store for back-up are for rooted only phones. this is one of my main points where i'm leaning toward root this time around.

Upvote 0
It could be that it drops on Dec. 1st, but I don't think it will be because of the 14-day return period of the Rezound. You can return that phone any time within that period, and since it doesn't take two weeks to evaluate a phone, I don't quite buy that argument.

So, I can get the Rezound on the 14th, return it on the 21st and just wait it out another week or so for the Dec 1st date and get the Nexus.

thats how some of us who know better think.. now how the common person does.. they know they will share there fair share of nexus's because they know the android faithful will come. Im also afraid they are tinkering with it

Upvote 0
That's the beauty of a Nexus... they come ready to root out of the box. It won't be long at all before a one click solution is introduced.

And I think I will do the one click root, but I don't know if I will do anything with it for a while - as in I don't know if I will do any custom roms or use any of the other mods.

Upvote 0
Wowser - another rooter from the olden days. :)

I totally get where you are coming from.

Good news - those days are gone. Most phones you can root now without changing anything else and Bob's your uncle! :)

That's good to know. I rooted/unlocked the GF's Nexus S and she freaked because she lost all of her progress on Tapfish LOL...

Upvote 0

Root is a very good thing for many people. At the same time, many people have no need of it.

Is there any possible downside to rooting? Besides voiding a warranty.

Upvote 0
why is rooting a good option for full system back-ups? if say you had to saw handsets or upgrade and wanted to restore, is it easier? i've noticed some of the apps in the store for back-up are for rooted only phones. this is one of my main points where i'm leaning toward root this time around.

Many apps plus their data install to a system area that requires root access in order to restore, and without restore, backup ability is meaningless.

Rooting is the EXACT Android equivalent of gaining Admin access on your PC. No more, no less. The admin name in Android (or any unix) is literally called root.

Reactions: IndecisiveElle
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones