1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Details and mistakes. That was pretty funny right on the face of it. :D

2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

UGH.... :p
  3. darejer

darejer Well-Known Member

Welcome, Brightside! You are going to fit in great with the rest of us button refreshers :p
    EarlyMon and brightside like this.
  4. My yellow lab just had babies( well his lady friend did anyway lol) i can reserve one for you:)
  5. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

are there a lot of people planning to root this phone as soon as they get it?

i want to root mine for the tethering capability, but i don't want to lose the OTA updates especially right after picking it up. i don't really want to flash custom roms or anything, just the tethering capability

is anyone else worried about losing updates if they root?
  6. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums! :)
    brightside likes this.
  7. zx10droid

zx10droid Well-Known Member

im new to root but i am definitely planning on doing it to gain tethering for sure if i have to
  8. I don't plan on rooting. I don't illegally tether and only rooted to get rid of the bloat on old phones and get the latest updates.
  9. Mach Droid

Mach Droid Well-Known Member

No one said that you werent going to be in trouble.
  10. brightside

brightside Active Member

thanks guys. these have got to be some of the friendliest forums out there...it's refreshing. :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. Maybe I'm confused. I have a Nexus One on T-Mobile, stock, and I can use the wired and wireless tethering for no charge.
  12. zx10droid

ummm... what?
  13. EarlyMon

Policy varies by carrier, even though that's a standard Android feature - it's easily shut out.
  14. Verizon charges to tether, therefor if you root to tether that is illegally doing it.
  15. zx10droid

oh, sorry, didnt realize using the data i pay for monthly through verizon how i choose to is against the law and illegal :confused:. thank you for clarifying that for me
    hgray, kcs7272 and dan h like this.
  16. EarlyMon

There's been a whole moral debate about a commercial contract violation amounting to illegal net access.

I come down on the side of it being an unconscionable contract, but AndroidForums now comes down hard in favor of that view with the carriers. (Despite no one yet explaining how you can go to jail for this - as in - illegal.)

It was a topic of hot debate in the DX forum, and we spun that off to it's own thread.

Imagine every possible view on this being repeated 10 times with neither side budging. Imagine every possible counter-argument being made repeatedly. (sigh)

Really respectfully request we don't hijack this thread for that.

It's after hours, ok to state views, but please - no arguing, it's always leads to tree, nail, jello.

Cheers, thanks!
  17. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

You know that statement caused some twisting, right?
  18. Ninjak

Ninjak Well-Known Member

I'd definitely root it because I have data I need to copy off of my Droid 2, not just its associated apps. Until Google finds a way to allow people to backup data without rooting Android, it's root root root for the home team! :) Besides, one can always just unroot prior to getting an update.
    BabyBlues likes this.
  19. burntorangefan

burntorangefan Well-Known Member

Nope. You don't lose updates simply by rooting. Installing custom ROMs is what normally blocks updates from the manufacturers. This will be my first experience with a Nexus device, so we'll see how the devs deal with that aspect. In the past, "updates" were always about 3 or 4 months behind because of carrier delays, but the devs had the code and baked them into their ROMs. Now that the updates are direct, I don't know how they'll be handled...
  20. EarlyMon

Get a room!

Mmmmmpppphhhfffttt... ah hahahaahaha! ;) :D
    Mach Droid and BabyBlues like this.
  21. at&t does it to and will remove your unlimited data if they catch you doing it.
  22. MoPhoMan

MoPhoMan Well-Known Member

After 4 years with Verizon service I have yet to talk to an employee who knows much, but several who pretend to.
  23. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

LMAO. Sowwy.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  24. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

i think its kind of crappy they make you pay for tethering now but that's just me..

anyways, i want to root and i JUST rooted my incredible using unrevoked and it was pretty easy. do you think there will be an easy way to root the GNex once it comes out?
  25. EarlyMon

I think the point is that the carriers are not the law - it's over the word - illegal - that it all goes south. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.