• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks RedRaider. One more concern and I'll stop asking stupid questions.
I have always had Sense. My phones are for work (they buy for me). We have a good exchange server type outlook mail.

I know about the new G-mail on this thing but what about my outlook work mail. Will there be a seperate mail client for my outlook. I don't want it mixed in with G-mail

thanks

I think there is a different client for outlook that you could set up.

Upvote 0
<SNIP>
I don't think it is a stretch for the providers to be able to watch the traffic and toss up a red flag if IE or any other desktop browser is requesting pages on a wireless device.

Just my 0.02
If Verizon did it that way, I'd be suing them for snooping on my traffic. They aren't allowed to look at the content of the stream. Put simply, they can look at the packets, but not the info in the packets.

You can do that because you have the end user website, and can pull statistics.

However, my understanding is there are identifiable characteristics of packets going to the device, or tethered devices attached. Probably has something to do with the NAT addressing.
Catching up on the thread, I have been reading the discussion of detecting tethering. What makes us think VZW (or any other carrier) does not look inside the packets? Deep packet inspection has been available for some time now, giving carriers the ability to analyze the data content of the traffic, not rely on headers alone (Google the term and have a read). "Network security" and "network management" are hooks on which to hang their hats and justify the practice. I am not thrilled, but I would be surprised to find any major US network not using the boxes (probably along with policy servers).

Reactions: callmeox
Upvote 0
Catching up on the thread, I have been reading the discussion of detecting tethering. What makes us think VZW (or any other carrier) does not look inside the packets? Deep packet inspection has been available for some time now, giving carriers the ability to analyze the data content of the traffic, not rely on headers alone (Google the term and have a read). "Network security" and "network management" are hooks on which to hang their hats and justify the practice. I am not thrilled, but I would be surprised to find any major US network not using the boxes (probably along with policy servers).

Not to mention a little while back they sent out a thing about monitoring where you go on the internet for some reason and you could opt out of, but this could be one way to check tethering.

Reactions: tigercranestyle
Upvote 0
What about syncing contacts from Outlook? Anyone know if there will be an easy way to do this.

I'm coming from a Blackberry, and I love the way it syncs with Outlook.

I came from the Storm/Pearl and had the same concern. I now use an Android email client called Touchdown on my X, which syncs OTA with my Outlook Exchange account and then copies contacts to the phone nicely. That's an Exchange product. If you don't have Exchange, you can use K-9 Mail. However, neither are as perfect as the BB email client. Certain things are unique to BB, like press and hold on a sender's name to sort your emails by that sender. Probably a patent issue. But that's the one thing that RIM does great - email.

As I recall, to sync contacts on a BB you need to connect a USB to your PC. That was a pain and I don't miss it at all now.

Not sure how this phone will handle sync.

I also recall other Android sync solutions, some wired, some not, like the Missing Sync. Never tried them.

Reactions: tjh011
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, at this point I am thinking there will not be a preorder. I hoped they would have announced one on Friday that begins on Monday, but that did not happen. Presuming this thing launches on the 17th, I think there is not enough time for a preorder.

With all this talk of the loyalty discount being an online only thing, I hope they allow us to order online a couple days before the store launch because I know I should do what it takes to save the $50, but I don't think I'll have the patience to wait an extra couple days to order it online ;)

Upvote 0
Well, at this point I am thinking there will not be a preorder. I hoped they would have announced one on Friday that begins on Monday, but that did not happen. Presuming this thing launches on the 17th, I think there is not enough time for a preorder.

With all this talk of the loyalty discount being an online only thing, I hope they allow us to order online a couple days before the store launch because I know I should do what it takes to save the $50, but I don't think I'll have the patience to wait an extra couple days to order it online ;)

Most preorders are a week before launch. The razr is the only one that was more than a week from launch.

Upvote 0
Does it seem strange to anyone that all the price leaks we've seen so far for the U.S. G-Nex have only been one device? The Verizon leaked MAPs have always been one device and price point, and this latest from Costco has only been one device/price point.

It's been confirmed (hasn't it?) that the European carriers are so far only offering the 16GB version. We have some insider suggesting that Verizon is getting the 32GB version, but that's it, right? I think people are hoping for both options, but there's a very good possibility we'll only get one choice. If Verizon is going to charge $300, it had better be the 32GB version.

Maybe Verizon's is getting the 16GB version and the other U.S. carriers will get the 32GB version to help compensate them for Verizon's exclusivity?

Upvote 0
What OTD is saying is that average consumers are stupid.

I'm just an average consumer and I didn't take it that way. I know more about phones than a lot of my friends because they don't do any research. They go in the store, play with a few phones, listen to the sales pitch and then make a decision. While I don't understand everything you all talk about on here, I feel much more informed when I go buy my phone. After everything I've read recently, I think I will replace my phone with this. However, if I get in the store and like the look or feel of the RAZR better, then I will buy it instead and still feel like I'm walking out with a great phone. I will not be walking out with a bionic, even if I like the look better, again based on what I read here. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
Does it seem strange to anyone that all the price leaks we've seen so far for the U.S. G-Nex have only been one device? The Verizon leaked MAPs have always been one device and price point, and this latest from Costco has only been one device/price point.

It's been confirmed (hasn't it?) that the European carriers are so far only offering the 16GB version. We have some insider suggesting that Verizon is getting the 32GB version, but that's it, right? I think people are hoping for both options, but there's a very good possibility we'll only get one choice. If Verizon is going to charge $300, it had better be the 32GB version.

Maybe Verizon's is getting the 16GB version and the other U.S. carriers will get the 32GB version to help compensate them for Verizon's exclusivity?

I agree. I am leaning towards Verizon only having the 32g version.

Upvote 0
I highly doubt there will be a preorder. I will be happy if I am wrong though.

Yeah, I know this issue has gone back and forth already on the forum, and I keep going back and forth in my mind. It seems like it would be dumb for Verizon to not have a preorder for a phone this anticipated (and that is coming exclusively to them, no less). At the same time, if that leaked marketing image is to be trusted, Verizon doesn't plan on really even pushing the device until the holiday shopping season. Maybe they plan a low-key launch? I don't know. We'll see though. The benefit of getting a preorder is I know I'm getting the device and I get to do the unboxing/set-up myself. An in-store only launch means that I get to be at the Verizon store at opening and walk away with the device in hand sooner than if I wait for Fed-Ex to bring it to my house (presuming I'm even home when they attempt to deliver). Ahh...if only it were the 17th.

Upvote 0
No. There is still almost 2 weeks until the 17. Most likely wont hear anything until end of week at earliest.

If they need 1 week to do a preorder (it's hard to imagine them needing any less time), then the end of next week is already too late. Presumably, they would announce a preorder at least a day or two in advance?

Upvote 0
Interesting:
Samsung Galaxy Nexus pops up in Costco inventory with $289.99 price tag | PhoneDog

Anyone know how long in advance Costco usually puts these things into their system? Notice that is says that 0 are in stock.

YankeeDudeL, who works at a Costco mobile kiosk, says that you will only be able to order it at Costco, and they will ship it to your house. You will not be able to walk in, buy, and walk out with a phone. I think that's why there is 0 in stock.

With all this talk of the loyalty discount being an online only thing. . .

I double-checked with my sister, and she says that they should extend the loyalty discount to you in-store, but to make sure you go to a Corporate store. I made the mistake of going to a "wireless partners" reseller when I got the X2 in July, and when I returned it they really dragged their feet adjusting my upgrade eligibility date. If you go to a corporate store and they don't extend you the loyalty discount, ask the manager to call customer service and it should get squared away.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
If they need 1 week to do a preorder (it's hard to imagine them needing any less time), then the end of next week is already too late. Presumably, they would announce a preorder at least a day or two in advance?

Usually they would announce the preorder after it is available unless its like an iphone or something. Most likely will be unannounced like the bionic was and just show up on Verizon site.

Reactions: Travillion
Upvote 0
Usually they would announce the preorder after it is available unless its like an iphone or something. Most likely will be unannounced like the bionic was and just show up on Verizon site.

Come Monday, we should have a good indication of what will happen. If the vigor goes into presale at that time, then I think we'll have a slightly better chance of the same on Thursday. I personally don't care either way as I plan on going into the store. Then again, I may talk myself into not paying full price, adding a line, and order from costco. Then I will just cancel the data portion and keep the SGN on my current line. I figure cost will be a wash or pretty close anyways.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones