***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**General

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Nice. For me the bigger the better. I mean, I don't want to go around with a tablet, but I think the max I'd be willing go is still at about 5", so no big deal.

I bet it could get to 4.5 or 4.6 without the physical phone being much taller or wider than the Bionic or X2. Like you said, eliminating much of the bezel (and the 4 capacitive buttons) should do the trick.
    johnny#5 likes this.
  2. whitenoiz

whitenoiz Well-Known Member

I ****ing want a big screen.
    johnny#5, Ynomrah and bldgengineer like this.
  3. Ltgk20

Ltgk20 Active Member

I'm sure there are quite a few here who know far more about jailbreaking and rooting than I. However, I suspect you will be able to do on an android phone unrooted much of what you would have to jailbreak the Iphone to do. On most any old Android phone you can do pretty much whatever you want with browsers, keyboards, ringtones, most graphics, install apps from other markets/sources, etc. without having to root at all.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

fact :)
  5. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Here's a nice little tidbit that's been under our noses the whole time since BGR first leaked a possible "Nexus Prime" device back in June:

"Our source indicated that Google could be working with multiple carriers and multiple OEMs on their own “exclusive” Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) halo devices, and that they may all launch around the same time."

Source link

Seems like the exclusivity for Verizon was hinted at way back then. Now it definitely would not surprise me if Sprint, AT&T, and TM eventually (maybe sooner rather than later) get their own "exclusive" versions of an ICS handset.

I hope this makes the Sprint guys feel better. :D
    johnny#5 and Ynomrah like this.
  6. jinwons

jinwons Well-Known Member

It seems like good day for sprint folks anyway. Their SGS2 just got confirmed to have Exynos processor, putting end to some worries on tegra2, dual snapdragon.

Sprint Epic 4G Touch specs revealed | Android Central

I also think Prime will come as Droid Prime to Verizon exclusively, then evetually hitting other carriers as Nexus Prime.
    johnny#5 and johnlgalt like this.
  7. nhindian

nhindian Well-Known Member

I hope the NP/DP sticks to a similar design of the Galaxy S II. I really liked the square look it...
  8. The_Chief

ME TOO :D

As an OG Droider, I am so used to the square-blocky look & feel of my phone that going to a curvy device would be almost too weird...
    johnny#5 and inssane like this.
  9. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Not me. The bricky look is a little tired to my eyes. I long for a rounded design!

But if form factor is the biggest issue, that will be one nice phone!
    johnny#5 likes this.
  10. The_Chief

AMEN! If curves are the worst part of the phone, count me in!

I suppose I could get used to it... as long as it comes with car & desk docks so I can navigate and use it as my alarm clock at night. Problem is, the OG Droid is so doggone versatile it's going to be hard finding a single device to replace it!
  11. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

I keep seeing more and more news that Prime is indeed headed to verizon. Now I'm 99% convinced it will come by November and possibly late Oct. Until just a few days ago, I was mad at Verizon not even snagging LTE SGS2 that's going to Europe and even Canadians are going to get soon. Now I'm set on Droid Prime!
  12. Lenerdosy

Lenerdosy Active Member

You make it sounds like us Canadians are the bad guys :p
  13. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I'm betting on Verizon too. Yipee!
  14. Sandroidfan

Didn't know any Canadian would see my post.:rolleyes: I was just trying to say I thought Verizon was so dumb to not even get LTE SGS2 (Celox) that's announced recently. Apparently they are not if this Prime is what they are getting.
  15. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Well-Known Member

johnny#5, troll_killer and johnlgalt like this.
  16. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

Isn't it spelled Canadiennes? Or something like that? I'm shocked that someone from Canada would read your post, too. When did they get the internet? :p

Exactly. It's just a way of saying "This is the Verizon variant, that's the Sprint variant", etc.

Unfortunately, if each carrier will get their own variant, that probably means it's going to be bloated up the wazoo. But I really don't care.

Best case scenario, Samsung follows its own new-found tradition and sends a Prime to the CyanogenMod team and we get root within a few days of release.

I love it that Sammy's so friendly with the devs! I hate to say it, but I hope their Bada OS fails miserably and they just end up sticking to Android.
    johnny#5 likes this.
  17. The_Chief

It staggers the mind to think that Palm just died; WebOS just died; and Samsung is introducing Bada OS to the world, up against iOS and Android. Does anyone share my feeling that Bada will end up being the Microsoft Bob of cell phones?
  18. magdelaine

magdelaine Well-Known Member

johnny#5 and troll_killer like this.
  19. BlueBiker

From a little googling around, it seems that Bada is aimed mainly at feature phones. I think that makes sense, if it can run on lower end phones than Android could, because it's targeted toward cheaper phones whose users won't be trying to do much (any?) customizing or installation of apps.

I have no idea what OS Samsung's feature phones used to run, but it's reasonable to continue to maintain a lightweight operating system. I won't name names, but certain relatives of mine can barely figure out how to navigate an address book -- so they don't need quad-core beasts running the Starship Enterprise Operating System (SEOS).
  20. Sandroidfan

johnny#5 likes this.
  21. The_Chief

So what you're saying is: Bada is intended to make feature phones SEEM like smartphones, ergo TouchWiz is intended to make smartphones easy to use like feature phones? My head is starting to hurt now :p
    johnny#5 and BlueBiker like this.
  22. Sandroidfan

23. BlueBiker

If it's for true smartphones, then I agree w/Chief that it doesn't make obvious sense. Who's going to write apps for it, and what's the point? Maybe it'll run Android apps and won't need its own market. In general I'm a strong supporter of competition, but I'm missing this one.
  24. Sandroidfan

Maybe because they are afraid of what Google will do after buying Motorola? Right now I think they are committed to supporting android platform. So hopefully Google wouldn't make any mistakes to scare them away from android. The same goes for HTC, LG.
  25. BlueBiker

Those are good points. I can see why they'd want to have an alternate plan in reserve and maintain some bargaining chips w/Google. I still don't see who's going to write apps for it though. You'd also think Bada will now be a patent infringement target for Apple, Microsoft, ... and Google too!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.