• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevlar is an amazing substance. Kevlar: Composites Grade vs. Ballistics Grade — Fibre Glast Blog Heat resistance and thermal conductivity will reduce the feeling of warmth from the battery through the back of the RAZR and will find other exit points. Not having seen the device, I do not know if there is venting on the back (possibly speaker area) that will selectively direct the heat flow... Kevlar type insulation is also used in the manufacture of transformers to reduce potential arcing.

Upvote 0
A very interesting comment from TI 2:14 into this video which could affect both battery life and heat generation compared to the use of the 4430 CPU found in the RAZR:

"An interesting thing is that when we went from 4430 to 4460 we did optimize design of the Cortex A9 so we are actually able to get higher performance which allows us at the same frequency to use less power."

Latest news from Texas Instruments at ARM TechCon 2011 - YouTube

Upvote 0
But we may be up-playing it with the other bias. As Steven pointed out - one phone had the issue, one did not, so one might have been defective.

We'll soon know.

Nobody is claiming it runs cooler than older devices. We are saying that Stevens experience is not normal. if it was I and others (reviewers who spent way more time on it than me) would have caught it right away.

All these phones will get very warm. All those radios and processing power packed into a handheld is quite a technological marvel. Whether one likes the device or not the RAZR is an insane package.

Nothing exists like it right now. Not talking specs Im talking about how insanely thin and powerful this thing is. Its quite an achievement

Agreed on both accounts.

Upvote 0
I think our lives (I include myself in this) are far too wrapped up in a piece of equipment. It's almost emotionally unbalanced. We need to get a life and go back to our families. Therefore:

I think I'm going to close this thread for a day, so we get a life. ;)

JK... (Steven runs)

Upvote 0
Well - on the subject of releasing 3 phones at once...

No tech comparisons are ever complete without a car analogy.(*)

So - if every major city has a district of car dealerships and they all release all sorts of new models about the same time in the fall, including various high-end models - and they do just fine - wouldn't that apply to cell phones?

If Verizon is going to sell X customers on these 3 phones, why do they or we care if it's X+0+0 or X/3+X/3+X/3 or any other mix? VZW makes the same dough regardless - and if any one maker comes up short, then that's not anyone's fault but their own.

Competitive models sell regardless.

And for every sale lost by ad dilution it would be replaced by a sale that gets generated by "sale excitement" (more buyers buying is always infectious, is it not?).

(* Slashdot car analogy rule.)

Upvote 0
I think our lives (I include myself in this) are far too wrapped up in a piece of equipment. It's almost emotionally unbalanced. We need to get a life and go back to our families. Therefore:

JK... (Steven runs)

Lol, I almost died when I read that you wanted to close this thread. I think I actually gasped. Wow, maybe I have spent way too much time on this thing.... Nah lol

Upvote 0
Went to the verizon store to check out a razr. It was a nice fone. Fast and bright. There were two display models in the store. One screen was just plain hot and the other was hot enough to fry an egg on. None of the other screens of the other phones were hot. Strange.

It felt strange in my hand. It was very wide, yet very thin. I didn't like that feel. Perhaps I'd get used to it?

I remember when the original RAZR came out a big complaint was it was difficult to hold. I wondered the same thing with this version...thin is nice, but you need to have something to grip.

Upvote 0
Lol, I almost died when I read that you wanted to close this thread. I think I actually gasped. Wow, maybe I have spent way too much time on this thing.... Nah lol

Worst case you can send a donation to EarlyMon or OTD and they could quite easily re-open the thread... ;) :p

Upvote 0
No! I don't want a drumstick I want my Ice Cream Sandwich!!! :D

just thought i'd come from lurking to say that i just bought both no more than 20 mins before reading this post. it's a sign! i have espn.

that's all. carry on. :D

CIMG_2011-11-08-205208.jpg

Upvote 0
Nobody is claiming it runs cooler than older devices. We are saying that Stevens experience is not normal. if it was I and others (reviewers who spent way more time on it than me) would have caught it right away.

All these phones will get very warm. All those radios and processing power packed into a handheld is quite a technological marvel. Whether one likes the device or not the RAZR is an insane package.

Nothing exists like it right now. Not talking specs Im talking about how insanely thin and powerful this thing is. Its quite an achievement

My Inc can still get quite warm when taxed. Uncomfortably warm if I let it. Presently though it is underclocked so very little heat. When I got the Inc launch day I was shocked at the heat and thought something was seriously wrong. Take the razr and its innards I agree a feat and ingenious design

Reactions: cereal killer
Upvote 0
Hey, so, question time for everyone on Verizon already...

Can you add a line to an existing family share plan whenever you want? I find myself in a scenario where both my mom and I are going to move over to a Family Share plan, her line being a featurephone and my line being the Nexus. But she is getting impatient waiting for my device to come out, and she can't stand T-Mobile either, haha.

So my plan, hypothetically, would be to go to a Verizon store over the weekend, open up a new account with a family share plan, and get her line (featurephone) set up. Then when the Nexus comes out, I would go to Verizon, get it, and add it to the same plan.

Is this possible? Does Verizon allow only one device to have a familyshare plan? And if it is possible, would I incur any additional fees doing it this way vs. getting both lines set up on the family share plan at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Google hadn't even had Verizon completely lined up when they announced the GNex as proven by V not even being mentioned on Announce Day (which allegedly got delay because Steve passed though that didn't slow down the RAZR announcement). That just doesn't sit right with me, though some of the infighting rumors offer plausable explanations.

Google and Samsung had nothing to do with the Motorola RAZR, and they are the ones who lost a worthy adversary. I totally believe that was the reason the launch was delayed. Either way, the RAZR launch was completely different than Android announcing their newest operating system on a flagship Nexus phone.

[Hide]
That sounded a bit combative, upon further review, and it wasn't intended to come that way[/Hide]

Upvote 0
Think I'll sit in my corner and eat my drumstick ice cream cone...

Klondike is better imo

JK... (Steven runs)

My heart stuttered. I just finished at the gym and am cooling down, stretching while catching up and thought they were gonna have to pick me up off the floor. Naughty mod! (funny in a sick way though)

Reactions: bldgengineer
Upvote 0
Hey, so, question time for everyone on Verizon already...

Can you add a line to an existing family share plan whenever you want? I find myself in a scenario where both my mom and I are going to move over to a Family Share plan, her line being a featurephone and my line being the Nexus. But she is getting impatient waiting for my device to come out, and she can't stand T-Mobile either, haha.

So my plan, hypothetically, would be to go to a Verizon store over the weekend, open up a new account with a family share plan, and get her line (featurephone) set up. Then when the Nexus comes out, I would go to Verizon, get it, and add it to the same plan.

Is this possible? Does Verizon allow only one device to have a familyshare plan? And if it is possible, would I incur any additional fees doing it this way vs. getting both lines set up on the family share plan at the same time?

Thanks in advance!

Yes you can add a line at any time vzw would love to have your $ :)

We just added my fatherinlaw last month he loves Verizon!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones