• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Gingerbread Update Working Now

yohannie

Oct 15, 2011
If you have already downloaded Kies Mini and had been stuck and frustrated at the "Unregistered Device" with the greyed out "Upgrade Software" screen, fret no more.

The big missing piece of the puzzle was the fact that you had to register your device.

Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I997 | Samsung Cell Phones

Register your device now. As of 2/2/11 (midnight), all registered device owners got the Kies Mini to give the upgrade option.

-Edit-

The new theory is that AT&T is rolling out the update in increments to prevent server crashes.

If you want to cut ahead though, you can do so by reverting your phone back to the version before the official OTA update in November by following:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1116251

After you do so, connect Kies Mini and it will show the upgrade button as active.

Why would they make us go through this just for a small update? Why not over the air. I would guess that maybe 10% of infuse users will end up getting the update partly due to the process required to update and partly because no one who doesn't read tech sites will even know its available.

Disappointed in how long we waiting and how its been handled. A small update shouldn't be a giant fiasco.

Upvote 0
OK, so here's an interesting bit of news. I just got off live chat with Samsung and I was told Kies mini will not work on 64-bit Windows. I don't know what to make of that. How long have 64-bit system been around? I kept getting "unregistered device," so I registered, but still kept getting the same response. That's why I contacted Samsung. He told me to find a 32-bit system, sorry for the inconvenience. The session ended abruptly, don't know if that was my fault or his, or what, so I didn't get a chance to ask more about it. I think the conversation was over anyway.

I went to the Samsung website to register. I already had an account for a TV we have. I just registered the phone using that account. Now the phone shows among my devices.

Upvote 0
I have 3 windows 7 PC's at home and all are 64 bit. I really hope this isn't going to prevent an update.

What if we took our phones into an att official store. Wouldn't they have to update the phone for us? When I was an evo 4g customer if I had any problems with my phone I could take it to one of sprints service stores and they could update, replace battery, restore phone ect. Does att not have this setup also?

This is a minor update and they are making it harder to get than rooting and applying a custom ROM.

My phone has serious screen burn anyway and I am calling the warranty department to get a new(refurbished) infuse. But I will be sure to let them know not to send me a phone that I need to purchase a new computer to apply a simple update that should be Over the air anyways.

Upvote 0
was at xda not sure where you got that info but pretty much everyone there is running 64bit 07 and most have upgraded! perhaps its the ver of win you have "pro,home"

It came from Samsung support. I called about the registration issue, and grayed out update button, and that's what I got in response once he asked what OS. And he specifically asked what "bit" version. My first thought was, this is old info, can't be the problem. I have no problem with running the program. It recognizes that my phone is connected, even down to the phone number.

Upvote 0
Well, I just tried updating the phone on a 32-bit Windows Vista system. Still have the same issues I have with the 64-bit, unregistered and grayed out button. So, I have no idea whether this problem has anything to do with the Windows version, or what other issues have to be resolved first to confirm that.

Upvote 0
any news on a Air update. My USB plug on the phone will not work at all. Tried three different cables, my stock one the cat chewed through and was the only cable that ever worked with this phone. Also tried three different windows variations and I still can not get the phone detected other than Unknown Device............... :(

Upvote 0
Check the original post you guys (edited). It works fine on 64 bit, I can promise because I used a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Edition to upgrade (after the steps outlined in the original post).

Maybe I'm missing something, but the original post doesn't say anything about 64-bit, and my phone is registered. Granted, I just registered it after seeing your post, and thus the reason I called Samsung support, thinking maybe it needed some time to update in their system. All the support person would give me is that it won't work on 64-bit. Frankly, I didn't believe him, but mine was still not working as of the last time I tried, even on another system. The only thing I have not done, based on your original post, is revert back to the pre November update. I am not going to do that. I'm not chasing after this update like I did when first got my phone. I wasted a lot of time doing that. I'll retry it at some point. If and when the update comes, fine.

Upvote 0
I upgraded my infuse to 2.3.6 last night on my Samsung laptop running 7 64 bit with no problems at all. The one thing I have been disappointed with on this update was that it didn't get the cool turn off screen thing when you lock it, like the other phones running GB. Overall it was a quick, easily process, besides the months of waiting.

Upvote 0
any news on a Air update. My USB plug on the phone will not work at all. Tried three different cables, my stock one the cat chewed through and was the only cable that ever worked with this phone. Also tried three different windows variations and I still can not get the phone detected other than Unknown Device............... :(

Yeah, well, I am not having any issues, but they really should make this update OTA because not everyone looks on the internet to get updates...

Anyone who has an update for a OTA process, please let us know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones