• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

Hi. I'm still using my original Dinc (the one with the AMOLED screen which I'd per-ordered and received in late April 2010). But it's been buggy - constantly has the low-on-space error; has the "update available" message come up every once in a while but when I click on "reboot and install" nothing happens (so I have to click on cancel).

I've been looking for new phone - I intend to buy it as full price so I can keep my unlimited data and not have to sign a 2-year contract. I used a spreadsheet to compare Samsung GS4 price with a new 2-year contract & new monthly rates on Verizon Wireless website against paying full price & keeping my current monthly rates. At the end of two years I would have paid about $200 or so more by paying full price & keeping my current monthly rates (not to mention my unlimited data) and my employer % discount in both options. I hope to do a similar comparative analysis when the HTC One finally comes to Verizon.

What are others thinking of buying as far as a new phone goes (besides the Droid Maxx mentioned by OP)?

Thanks!
Not sure if you know this but if you have any other line in your account that has a limited/tiered plan, you can transfer your upgrade to that line and get it at contract price and then transfer that phone back to your unlimited line and keep your unlimited data. That's what I'm doing. My son has a 2GB plan and I'm transferring my upgrade to his line then transferring it back after I upgrade.

Upvote 0
Got my Dinc on release day and it is still breating. Frequent factory reboots and twitchy performance are starting to set in so I suspect our time is limited. No complaints, it is my first smartphone and has, until recently, been uber reliable. Been eligible for an update since 2012. Assuming the Dinc holds out long enough it will be replaced with either a HTC One or LG G2.

The Dinc will become the property of a 3-year old or donated to charity once the day finally comes. Time to let someone else enjoy my first smart phone.

Upvote 0
I'm still here too. (Im)Patiently waiting for the One to show up on Verizon. Unfortunately, my Inc is dying - the battery life is getting terrible, it's heating up quickly, and there are memory issues (there isn't enough onboard to run the apps I'm running, with the updates that have been pushed) that freeze the phone and I have to do a battery pull at least once a day to force reboot. I know I could downgrade some of the apps, but I don't want to. Oh yeah, the last time I accidentally dropped it, the battery cover cracked on one corner, so there's that too.

I've been eligible for a new phone for 16 months now, and I'd really like to just get it over with.

Upvote 0
Farewell, my sweet little Incredible. You have served me oh so well. I am currently backing up all of your lovely stuffs, and am moving what makes sense to move over to my new phone, your younger sibling, The One.

Thank you so much you beautiful little thing, and you will forever be:
My first smartphone, the best portable piece of tech I could depend on, and the reliable companion for many a long drive and long meeting.

You will be safe and snug in my drawer, occasionally run on wifi to ensure you're still good, and will be factory reset so that I can have you as a backup in case I need you for anything (like when I root those pesky LG Ally's the daughters have)

Upvote 0
Not sure if you know this but if you have any other line in your account that has a limited/tiered plan, you can transfer your upgrade to that line and get it at contract price and then transfer that phone back to your unlimited line and keep your unlimited data. That's what I'm doing. My son has a 2GB plan and I'm transferring my upgrade to his line then transferring it back after I upgrade.
I see how having multiple plans help to buy a phone at contract price and still keep the unlimited data by transferring the phone. But unfortunately I don't have multiple lines - it's just my individual line. I stopped by at a Verizon Wireless store and also chatted with online customer support - both places told me that if I buy a new phone at full price, I can still keep my unlimited plan even if the new phone is a 4G (my current Droid Incredible is only 3G). They told me that the trick is to not sign-in to your account when you order the phone on the Verizon website. If you sign-in and then order it, even if you select "no-contract" it will force you to chose from their new individual/family plans since my current plan is no longer offered.

Anyway, I placed an order for the HTC One on the Viva Movil (Jennifer Lopez's website) today. It is cheaper there, whether you order it with or without contract. Plus standard shipping was free and there was no tax (to ship to Atlanta). I'll see how it goes with the transfer/activation once I get it and post an update of my experience here.

Upvote 0
Finally replaced my Dinc with an HTC One. Been waiting a long time for a phone that was enough better than my Dinc to justify the trouble of getting set up on a new phone. Looks like the One is the "one". (G s4 a close second). I only wish Verizon had gotten it back in the Spring like everyone else. Bye bye sweet Dinc, you've served me well.

Upvote 0
As of Sept 19 my dINC has been put out to pasture. Replacement was a difficult choice and I thought it was going to be the HTC One in metallic blue (what a looker) but in the end the LG G2 won me over. Hoping for the same wonderful 3.5 years out of the G2. So far battery life is more than I could have hoped for and all is good. I will miss my first ever smart phone and droid phone but it will serve me well as something for the kids to use and abuse instead of my new baby.

Upvote 0
Wondering how many Dinc owners there are still about. I'm ready to move on to the Droid Maxx from my Gnex. 20 months seem to come and go so quickly around here! :)

I'm still using my Dinc. Rooted, S-off with stock+ v3.01 jermaine151. The phone still does everything I need. My gf is giving up her Inc2 so I might take that over. I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan :p

Upvote 0
Thought I'd swing by here and show off my new phone. Can you tell I miss my incredible?

9e5yzysu.jpg

Btw I still have if anyone's looking for one in nice condition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones