• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

Verizon is letting me get an early upgrade for a $20 fee, and they are letting me keep my unlimited data plan. Too bad they shortened the test drive period to 2 weeks.

A coworker just got the iPhone 4S, and it works flawlessly. The selling point for me was the ability to view ICS file attachments (calendar meeting invitations) in e-mail, and the ability to add them to my calendar WITHOUT having exchange e-mail. Now I know why Apple has coined the slogan "it just works" because it does just that! That's been my one true pet-peeve about the Incredible... that, and having to perform factory resets three times over the last 18 months. Siri is a very handy (and very cool) tool as well.

I have loved the Incredible, she's been a good phone for me. I've decided that it's time to give the iPhone a test run when it arrives next Monday.

Upvote 0
I may be leaving the DInc earlier than I thought. I've been been eyeballing the DInc 2 and have fondled it a few times in the store now. I may be ready to take our relationship to the next step. It seems, from what I've read, to be a refresh/upgrade of the DInc. Has the front facing camera that I like and runs faster than the original DInc. I don't need a dual-core processor and I still think 4G is kind of half-baked at this point. I can snag a DInc 2 off ebay for $200 and hold on to my upgrade until 4G is more stable, the 4G phones get decent battery life and NFC is more widely available. The slightly bigger size might help me make piece with the idea that my next phone in a year or so will probably have a 6-7" screen and I'll need a personal assistance to carry it around for me and hold it while I dial. It's a slight upgrade, but if I can get it without burning an upgrade and wait until there's actually a handset I'm interested in it, I'm ok with that. If I get a year and a half of use out of the DInc 2 I'll be happy.

Upvote 0
I'm with many of the people here: No plans to "upgrade" until there's a worthy model. That means a reasonably sized screen (4"), NFC chip, 4G, solid battery life, solid build quality, etc. I haven't seen anything yet for Verizon that fills that ticket. The GSII is the closest but it's not available on Big Red.

Basically, take the Droid RAZR w/ motorola build quality, drop the screen size a bit, add an NFC chip, and let me turn off Blur.

Upvote 0
I'm with many of the people here: No plans to "upgrade" until there's a worthy model. That means a reasonably sized screen (4"), NFC chip, 4G, solid battery life, solid build quality, etc. I haven't seen anything yet for Verizon that fills that ticket. The GSII is the closest but it's not available on Big Red.

Basically, take the Droid RAZR w/ motorola build quality, drop the screen size a bit, add an NFC chip, and let me turn off Blur.

I need a removable battery and an SD card as well.

Upvote 0
DInc2 comes in tomorrow. Plan on performing a final backup of everything on the DInc using TB, then, once the SD card is transferred to the new phone, it will be dead. As my major gripe with it is the lack of battery life my plan is to simply leave it turned on until the battery dies and it fades to black for the last time. Seems poetic somehow.

Upvote 0
DInc2 comes in tomorrow. Plan on performing a final backup of everything on the DInc using TB, then, once the SD card is transferred to the new phone, it will be dead. As my major gripe with it is the lack of battery life my plan is to simply leave it turned on until the battery dies and it fades to black for the last time. Seems poetic somehow.

Put it's death on YouTube, we'll start a trend of Droid incredible snuff films.

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
I was feeling some interest in the Galaxy Nexus until reading that it won't have an SD slot. :( Nothing else out there really seems like that much of an upgrade, so I guess I'll be hanging onto the DInc for a while. With CM7 nightlies it's like having a new phone every few days anyway. :D

PS. Anybody know what the prospects are for ICS on the DInc? I mean via Cyanogenmod - I'm sure we won't get it officially.

Reactions: icarius
Upvote 0
I was feeling some interest in the Galaxy Nexus until reading that it won't have an SD slot. :( Nothing else out there really seems like that much of an upgrade, so I guess I'll be hanging onto the DInc for a while. With CM7 nightlies it's like having a new phone every few days anyway. :D

PS. Anybody know what the prospects are for ICS on the DInc? I mean via Cyanogenmod - I'm sure we won't get it officially.

I'm very confident will get it, the Dinc is based on a popular platform, and it shouldn't be that different porting AOSP (stock android from source code) ICS than it was porting AOSP Gingerbread.

Reactions: wayrad
Upvote 0
Currently trying to get myself and my wife on a family plan. For awhile now I've had Verizon (coverage) and she's had AT&T (iPhone). First, we tried Verizon, but they botched it. Tomorrow will be their last chance to fix their mistake. If they fix it, we stay and I get a Galaxy Nexus. If they fail to fix it, we go to AT&T (kept her line open until we decide) and I purchase and unlocked Galaxy S2 or Galaxy Nexus.

Upvote 0
Finally got my DInc2 in. Spent 5 hours yesterday getting it set up, updated (came out of the box w/Froyo on it), rooted, backup restored and then tweaking all the things that you can't restore from backup (BT pairings, wifi setup, screen lock, display, etc.....) So this is my first day with it. I'm torn at the moment. I really have mixed feelings about the large size. At times I feel like I could smack someone with it and do some serious damage. We'll see if it can win me over or I'll go back to the DInc.

Upvote 0
So does everybody feel the development of ROMs for the Inc is now going to come to an end? I see this forum has really come to a crawl. I haven't decided which way I am going to go yet, but if the developers are moving to other phones now, then that may help me decide. These new phones with the huge screens and huge price tags is turning me off.

Upvote 0
So does everybody feel the development of ROMs for the Inc is now going to come to an end? I see this forum has really come to a crawl. I haven't decided which way I am going to go yet, but if the developers are moving to other phones now, then that may help me decide. These new phones with the huge screens and huge price tags is turning me off.

Good question..

Upvote 0

I think we'll see a serious slow down until the source code for ICS is released. Then there's a chance some of them may try to see what they can do.

Upvote 0
I think we'll see a serious slow down until the source code for ICS is released. Then there's a chance some of them may try to see what they can do.

Ya, my gut tells me if I want the latest updates in software, I will most likely have to upgrade to a new phone. I just think the developers will move to what people are using and I don't think that will be the Inc for to much longer. Maybe some like myself may hold onto it for a fair amount of time yet, but it seems most are moving on.

Upvote 0
Well... I ended up making my decision earlier than I had planned, due to: (1) finding out that VZW is lighting up 4G in my area on Thursday (unexpected, thought it wasn't going to be till next summer) and (2) finding out that I am in fact eligible for the 2 year renewal pricing now, instead of waiting till December 28 like I thought I had to.

So, without further ado... yes, my new HTC Rezound (I still think it's a stupid name) will be here tomorrow.

Going to have a 4/28 AMOLED Incredible in really nice shape with a bunch of accessories up for sale soon, if anyone's interested...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones