• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

When I get new phone, I will use Inc as everything but phone using wifi and backup phone

Mine will probably become a dedicated alarm clock. Not sure how much other use it would get between my new Droid sweet awesomeness deluxe, nook color, non-iPod, and the fact there is literally at least 1 computer within 4 feet of me 95% of the time.

Upvote 0
I switched to AT&T, so it's useless to me. However, if I see an intl Galaxy S or Incredible S for under $100 within the next year, I could see myself getting one for development and as a backup.

Part of the reason why I bought the DInc 2 was because it's a world phone. I can take it to any other carrier other than Sprint if I want to which is nice.

Upvote 0
Part of the reason why I bought the DInc 2 was because it's a world phone. I can take it to any other carrier other than Sprint if I want to which is nice.

That's true, but I made the decision that I would from now on only purchased a true unlocked phone (not a carrier-branded phone that has since been unlocked). My new device has an unlocked bootloader, no carrier bloat, and some features that you generally don't find in US phones. Also, due to not being an AT&T branded phone, I'm able to use their $10 unlimited data plan for non-smartphones. If I keep the phone for 2 years, it virtually pays for itself in the data plan savings.

Upvote 0
;)Dear DINC,

As one who typically has no problem giving his opinion, I find these words very difficult to say. Before I say them I want you know one thing - I STILL LOVE YOU. Your were my first (smartphone).:D You taught me all about apps, widgets and the delicate balance of battery use and conservation.

I will never forget the wonderful memories - like the time we first met. I stood at the door waiting for the Fedex driver to bring you to me. I recall running inside and ripping open the packaging just to see your small AMOLED face.

We spent the next several hours just learning about each other - I read your entire manual online. And you provided me with access to every widget and app I would ever want.

I recall lying in bed with you - just looking at you. And programming you. I got very little sleep those first few nights.:eek:

From that day on, you have been by my side, creating wonderful memories for me. You freed me from having to use an outdated Garmin - we navigated on so many long drives together! When I was waiting to get my haircut at Super Cuts, I would pull you out and either play with you or read the news. I recall when I strapped you to my RC airplane and it crashed violently in a cornfield 1/2 mile away. I thought I lost you forever, but I went home and Lookout gave me the exact location where you were. I still have that video as you went down into the corn.

I recall how cute you were when I would turn you on. You would say, "DROOOOOIIIIID" - I miss that.

I remember so often that people would see me with you and they would ask who you were - I proudly said, "This is a DROID INCREDIBLE - the best damn Droid phone on the market!"

Unfortunately, things have changed lately. I admit that I'm a sucker for big displays ;). I also wanted a display that held up better in bright sunlight. There are a few other reasons, but I know they won't make you feel any better. Please understand - IT'S ME, NOT YOU.

I have begun a relationship with the HTC Rezound. So far, she is everything I want in a phone. You were too - it's just I think I would like to have another phone.

Like most men do, I have kept you in my closet. In the event the Rezound does not work out - I will reach out to you and turn you on again.

I will always love you.

Mike

Upvote 0
That's true, but I made the decision that I would from now on only purchased a true unlocked phone (not a carrier-branded phone that has since been unlocked). My new device has an unlocked bootloader, no carrier bloat, and some features that you generally don't find in US phones. Also, due to not being an AT&T branded phone, I'm able to use their $10 unlimited data plan for non-smartphones. If I keep the phone for 2 years, it virtually pays for itself in the data plan savings.

Is there a difference between buying an unlocked phone and buying a carrier phone and unlocking it? There's a huge difference in price. You're locked into a contract with a carrier of course. Besides that is there a difference?

I can't do business with ATT. They have horrid coverage here in town and have screwed me over majorly before.

Upvote 0
Is there a difference between buying an unlocked phone and buying a carrier phone and unlocking it? There's a huge difference in price. You're locked into a contract with a carrier of course. Besides that is there a difference?

I can't do business with ATT. They have horrid coverage here in town and have screwed me over majorly before.

It's the IMEI number. If it's a phone that AT&T sells, then the IMEI is forever loaded into their system. If they don't sell it, it's not in their system and the phone shows up as a dumb phone on their end.

An example would be the Galaxy S2. Just because the AT&T version is called the Galaxy S2 doesn't mean it's the same version. The international version is called GT-I9100, while the AT&T branded version is the SGH-I777. These have different sets of IMEI numbers. You can unlocked the carrier branded version, but you'll still have to root it to remove the carrier bloat, and you'll still have to pay full price for unlimited data.

Upvote 0
6 weeks or so til I can upgrade. My wife is looking at the DInc 2 to replace her DInc, I however am trying to decided between the Razr, Rezound, or Bionic. I know I want dual core but I still haven't set my self on 4G so if these are still too expensive end of dec ($250-$300 is a little much for a phone I'm going to replace in like 20 months) I may end up with a droid 3 or something.

Upvote 0
6 weeks or so til I can upgrade. My wife is looking at the DInc 2 to replace her DInc, I however am trying to decided between the Razr, Rezound, or Bionic. I know I want dual core but I still haven't set my self on 4G so if these are still too expensive end of dec ($250-$300 is a little much for a phone I'm going to replace in like 20 months) I may end up with a droid 3 or something.

I would stay away from the bionic, most say the RAZR is what the bionic should of been.

Upvote 0
I would stay away from the bionic, most say the RAZR is what the bionic should of been.

Just worried about battery life with a non-removable battery. I had 3 batts for my DInc for when i was on travel. Swapped them out on long plane rides, wouldn't be able to do that with Razr.

Spec wise its basically the same phone aside from size. only real diff is the extra 200 MHz. Both are supposed to get ICS first quarter next year according to VZ so OS version isn't really an issue. Plus at 1 GHz, my Dinc doesn't feel slow now that I have the GB update.

I think I'm gonna take a trip to VZ this week to look and decide over the next month. $20 extra to up early isn't worth it when I'm only getting a $30 NE2 credit now. I remember like 4-6 years ago it was $100 then last time it was down to $50. For this one I'm down to $30 and found out they got rid of it entirely after this upgrade. Its looking like using best buy, walmart, or wirefly is gonna end up being cheaper. Just wouldn't be able to keep my unlimited data (not that I go over 2 GB most of the time).

Upvote 0
It's the IMEI number. If it's a phone that AT&T sells, then the IMEI is forever loaded into their system. If they don't sell it, it's not in their system and the phone shows up as a dumb phone on their end.

An example would be the Galaxy S2. Just because the AT&T version is called the Galaxy S2 doesn't mean it's the same version. The international version is called GT-I9100, while the AT&T branded version is the SGH-I777. These have different sets of IMEI numbers. You can unlocked the carrier branded version, but you'll still have to root it to remove the carrier bloat, and you'll still have to pay full price for unlimited data.

I hadn't thought of the IMEI. VZW is CDMA so I'm screwed anyway. I don't think you can buy an unlocked CDMA phone and take it to VZW or Sprint. I may be wrong though and probably am.

Upvote 0
I have had my Incredible for 10 months now and love it. This is my first smartphone, but I used the crap out of my Moto E815 until it died. Talk about battery life! I feel the same way about that phone that you guys do about the Incredible. I don't see a reason to upgrade from the Incredible unless something equally as enigmatic comes along.

I could do without the excessive advertising for Thunderbolt and Razr though...

Upvote 0
I hadn't thought of the IMEI. VZW is CDMA so I'm screwed anyway. I don't think you can buy an unlocked CDMA phone and take it to VZW or Sprint. I may be wrong though and probably am.

You're absolutely correct. For me, it's superior coverage (Verizon) versus unlocked phones (AT&T). When I found out that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would still come with some Verizon apps installed (My Verizon, Backup Assistant, and one more likely app), I realized that Verizon would not cede control on any aspect of a phone not named iPhone. Due to this, I decided to bail.

The only reason that I rooted my Incredible in the first place was to remove Verizon's "customization." I shouldn't have to do that. And, so far, I haven't rooted my current phone.

Upvote 0
I root every device I get just to get better backups of it. The so-called "bloatware" doesn't bother me at all. I don't ever use it, but I don't ever remove it either.

It doesn't bother me either, but you should have the right to remove it. You did buy it... It's like a PC from Gateway... They have a lot of Gateway software on it, but you can go into Add Remove Programs and remove all of it if you wish.

Upvote 0
I root every device I get just to get better backups of it. The so-called "bloatware" doesn't bother me at all. I don't ever use it, but I don't ever remove it either.

I used to developer (and still maintain) an Incredible ROM called Liberation. The primary change from stock to Liberation was the removal of ALL Verizon apps, services, and framework. The result? A much smoother phone. Now, it still wasn't iPhone smooth, but it turned heads from my other Android using friends. It was VERY smooth for a phone with its specs.

It's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. And no, I do not mean that as any kind of insult. I just mean that in the sense that if you were to load the ROM that I maintained, you likely wouldn't be able to tolerate the stock firmware.

Upvote 0
I used to developer (and still maintain) an Incredible ROM called Liberation. The primary change from stock to Liberation was the removal of ALL Verizon apps, services, and framework. The result? A much smoother phone. Now, it still wasn't iPhone smooth, but it turned heads from my other Android using friends. It was VERY smooth for a phone with its specs.

It's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. And no, I do not mean that as any kind of insult. I just mean that in the sense that if you were to load the ROM that I maintained, you likely wouldn't be able to tolerate the stock firmware.

I've actually run pure Cyanogen vs the Sense mods and personally, I haven't noticed any noticeable performance differences. Cyanogen seemed to run just a smidgen faster, but it's entirely possible that it was all in my head.

Upvote 0
You're absolutely correct. For me, it's superior coverage (Verizon) versus unlocked phones (AT&T). When I found out that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus would still come with some Verizon apps installed (My Verizon, Backup Assistant, and one more likely app), I realized that Verizon would not cede control on any aspect of a phone not named iPhone. Due to this, I decided to bail.

The only reason that I rooted my Incredible in the first place was to remove Verizon's "customization." I shouldn't have to do that. And, so far, I haven't rooted my current phone.

I have no issue with My Verizon and Backup Assistant being on the Prime. Those are actually value add apps that Verizon puts out as opposed to crap like Bing, Blockbuster, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones