• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

Yeah, I'm keeping my Inc for now. I'm up for an upgrade currently, and my hubby has been up for one for a year now. He still has his Moto Droid (yes, the first one) but he has lots of trouble with it. I think he just didn't want to have to make a decision as to which new Droid to get! There just aren't any sexy phones out there right now and I'm going to wait.

I finally decided on the HTC Rezound Monday. It should arrive tomorrow. Got a super deal at Amazon for $149 for an upgrade! The price point was my main hangup, but for $150 less than Verizon's upgrade price, I had to pull the trigger. No, it's not a major upgrade over the regular Incredible, but knowing how much I've loved my Incredible, I feel that the Rezound will last me a couple of years at minimum because it has the speed and capability that I need. Not to mention, it'll eventually get ICS and the Inc probably will not.

Upvote 0
You may reconsider your words that the Rezound is not a major upgrade once you have unit in hand. It's true the migration is easy because the UI is the same but that's why I wanted the Rezound. I loved my Dinc and the UI... I wanted the same experience just faster and more smooth. Not to mention it's beautiful screen, better camera, sound quality, and 4g. I think the Rezound is a major upgrade...in the direction of my liking.

Upvote 0
Although I love my Incredible and enjoy it even more now that its runnning CM7, I have to say I cannot wait for my next upgrade. I went into the Verizon store yesterday and played with the Galaxy Nexus for a few minutes. I was worried that it would be too bulky (T-bolt) or too wide (haven't been a fan of 4.3 inch screens). I didn't feel that at all with this phone. It felt nice in my hand and was comforatble to use. Plus, it runs so smooth. Even my girlfriend (who doesn't really care what phione she uses) fell in love with it. No lag, very responsive and runs like a dream. Plus, ICS is a fantastic overhaul UI wise and the features seem like a lot of fun to learn to use. I haven't been this impressed with a phone since I first played with an Incredible. I'll be happy when an ICS ROM pops up for the Incredible, but that will just keep me from being breaking into a Verizon store and taking a Nexus before my upgrade.

Upvote 0
This is where I am also. I'd love to have a Gnex or Resound, but I can't really think of anything I can do on them that I'm not able to do on the Dinc. Sure, they are faster, but I don't find myself waiting on the Dinc. Eventually we'll get ICS, and I'll be a happy camper.

Yea I'm with you. I just reset my Inc and rooted getting my low storage under control. Put Go launcher on it and it's running great. When I consider what I do on my phone on a daily basis I can see no reason to spend $299, extend my contract and get a new phone. I think a used tablet would be more useful to me right now.

Upvote 0
I've been to Verizon several times in the past few weeks checking out the new crop of smartphones. I'm due to upgrade like a lot of others on the 29th. Been reading up on the forums, have not fallen for any of the latest and greatest. 4g just doesn't seem ready yet. So many issues compared to what I have now. Maybe the next wave of newness will contain my next incredible smartness. The razor is too wide. The nexus too weird. The rezound is tickling my fancy, but the static wallpaper bugs me. I love how the incredible wallpaper rolls with the screens. Now that I've rooted this phone I think I'll make it till the next phase of phonyness arrives. Hopefully my trouble free incredible can too. It's by far the best phone I've EVER owned.

Upvote 0
It's funny you mention a Car GPS, that's exactly why I want a bigger phone then the Dinc, is so I can use it as a GPS in the car, I find the Dinc. too small :(

I use a Garmin NUVI in the car, since I don't want to lose the smaller size advantage of the DInc for pocket carry. Dedicated GPSs are really low cost items now!

FWIW, I once used a Palm Treo 700W for GPS in the car with a bluetooth GPS receiver. It was quite usable for me.

Upvote 0
My story with the Inc.

My boss got the OG Droid, but I knew I didn't want a keyboard or the 1st gen. In February, I discovered the Incredible... SOLD! Should be coming out soon right?

I found these forums looking for more info, joined just so I could post a funny quip in the epic thread.
Took a day off from work on April 29 and got there early to get my first smartphone. 20 months later it's in great condition. I had rooted and flashed ROMs, but everyone one of them gave me trouble. For the last few weeks, Gmail hasn't synced, my calendar stopped working, and my Timeriffic stopped working.

Couldn't decide between the GNex and Rezound. I felt as though the Rezound wasn't enough of an upgrade for me. But given all of the hardware problems, I'm happily holding my Rezound.

The Inc will live on as a spare for my wife and me, and possibly to use while in the house for looking up things.

Farewell.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd be interested to see some screen shots. This is just plane ICS right, not with Sense laid over the top? Is there anyway you can post some screen shots or is taking a look at the Nexus about what you are getting with this ROM?

There is NO sense on this ROM...pure vanilla. I am using ADW EX launcher because I dont like text under my icons, but the stock one is there and the CM9 "Trebuchet" launcher works as well.

Not sure what all you want to see but here are some shots...

Screenshot_2012-01-05-17-48-31.png

Screenshot_2012-01-04-16-35-20.png

Screenshot_2012-01-05-17-48-52.png

Screenshot_2012-01-05-17-50-56.png

Screenshot_2012-01-05-17-52-33.png

Upvote 0
I'm glad I finally got the latest o/s and kernels for this phone before everyone jumps ship.

It is something to say that this phone has lasted as long and generated as much interest as it has. Especially given the phone cycle.

However, when this phone dies and android phones keep growing and the iPhone keeps its form factor, Imma go iPhone.

My wifes iPhone 4 is pretty awesome. Not customizable (without more effort) I know, but I don't want a phablet in my pocket.

MolBasser

Upvote 0
There is NO sense on this ROM...pure vanilla. I am using ADW EX launcher because I dont like text under my icons, but the stock one is there and the CM9 "Trebuchet" launcher works as well.

Not sure what all you want to see but here are some shots...

Awesome... Thanks.. I have a backup Inc for toying around with, I may update it. May wait to see when the stable daily driver build comes out though...

Where are you getting the new Alpha downloads? I only see this one.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1380505
Is there another site that is actually updated regularly?

Upvote 0
However, when this phone dies and android phones keep growing and the iPhone keeps its form factor, Imma go iPhone.

This is the only thing I am beginning to wonder, and I would agree with ya. If all the Android phones continue to grow in size and the iPhone keeps it form factor, I will have to debate making the switch... If you jailbreak the iPhone you can setup the notification bar and install the TomTom navigation app for for free...

Upvote 0
I don't think you can get the TomTom app free without pirating it?

I do agree with you both on the size thing. My contract is officially up next month. I went to best buy to look at the current handsets. They all sucked size wise. some of them I can't even reach my thumb across the screen. Others are so huge I'd swear I could beat a mugger to death with them if I needed to. If I was ever shipwrecked, I could make a sail out of my clothes and float home using the phone as a raft. They're ridiculously huge.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can get the TomTom app free without pirating it?

I do agree with you both on the size thing. My contract is officially up next month. I went to best buy to look at the current handsets. They all sucked size wise. some of them I can't even reach my thumb across the screen. Others are so huge I'd swear I could beat a mugger to death with them if I needed to. If I was ever shipwrecked, I could make a sail out of my clothes and float home using the phone as a raft. They're ridiculously huge.

:).. Yep the size of the new phones seems to be either a like or hate scenerio for most. I say the TomTom app you can get for free after your phone is jailbroke just becaues there is a couple guys here at work that have it on their jailbroke iPhone4... I forgot what site they got it off of. I could find out.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones