• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

So what is the deal with the "pre" alpha.. I see you are running the last one that is NOT a pre alpha? Is this the only place to see when he posts a new ROM? or is there actually an updated form on XDA for his updates?

We should start an official ICS Inc ROM update under the "All Things Root" Thread... Mods.. can you move out the few posts in this Thread that are related to the ICS Roms and move them under the All Things Root Thread?

Upvote 0
Have had the Dinc since it came out 4/29/2010. I officially upgraded this morning to the Samsung Stratosphere (certified pre-owned). With my upgrade credit, I paid $20 ... good deal. And I will be trading in my Dinc to VZW and getting $41 in return. I could have prob gotten more on Craigslist or something but I just wanted to get rid of it. I liked the Dinc but I was over it already. It is 2012, time for a change, even if it is for a midline Android but at least it has 4G. Looking forward to the new one!

Upvote 0
I finally bit the bullet last week. My Dinc has been retired to wifi only, and will be setup for my kids to play games on mostly.

I picked up the RAZR MAXX on launch day, and being able to use my phone like it was meant to be used without plugging it in during the day was a huge factor in my decision, and to date, I have yet to need to plug in my phone before I go to bed and I'm a fairly heavy user.

Upvote 0
My first smart phone was an Eris. Next was the DINC and I loved that phone for two years.
I've upgraded to the Razr Maxx and this phone is awesome!
DINC is in the drawer and will probably be in use for a few more years as my wife's phone.
Can't recommed the Maxx enough. The battery life on this phone is fantastic. I've had it for a week and only two times on the charger!
DINC RIP!

Upvote 0
Well...up until now my posts in this thread have been unofficial; times change and now I must make it official and say goodbye to my Incredible. Just finished up placing my order for my Galaxy Nexus which should hopefully be here by the end of the week. Just a couple more days which will involve getting ready for my new phone.

Upvote 0
I said goodbye in a weird way to my Dinc. I kept having hardware failures and eventually I couldn't get a replacement. I was given a Dinc 2. Then that had a hardware failure and it couldn't get replaced. So VZW gave me a DX2. I wanted badly to keep my Dinc until the Nexus dropped, which I got on launch day! But it wasn't in the cards.

I gave my DX2 to a friend for Christmas 2010...rooted and ROMd, of course, and she loves it.

That's my Dinc story, albeit, a tad late.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have what I'm guessing are hardware failures also - the Music and Gallery apps keep losing my media which is stored on emmc storage, and even Astro sometimes says that the emmc card is empty. Sometimes I can restore it by connecting to my computer as a disk drive and then unconnecting, which causes the internal storage to be reset and sometimes I have to reboot. It's flaky and happens randomly. Sometimes the emmc data is there but the media doesn't show up and sometimes it's not.

Anyway, I think the phone is starting to fail and it's time to get something else, I'm just not ready yet. I don't want to lose the "free" hotspot feature which I only use every now and then for a few minutes at a time. I'm still waiting for a pure HTC ICS phone and I'd also like to wait for that waterproof technology to come on a stock phone. I hope I can wait a few more months.

Reactions: oppendroid
Upvote 0
I jumped ship. Loved my Dinc but it was time to move on. I went to the Droid Razr Maxx and so far love it. The battery alone has me sold (day 3 without needing a charge!).

Think my wife and I will be making this transition also in the next couple of weeks. Just have to get in the store and hold the Maxx and Nexus to make up my mind. Pretty sure the Maxx is the way we'll end up going... I can live w/out ICS for a bit. My DInc. will be missed... it's been a fun ride.

Upvote 0
HTC is not going to make a pure ICS phone. Their phones are going to have Sense on them.

^This. That's 100% correct. Sense is a nice introduction into the Android ecosystem. I would recommend someone coming from a dumb phone or from Apple to get a HTC phone over a pure Google phone for their first attempt. I'm glad my Incredible was my first Android phone. I resisted the "pure Google" crowd for about the 1st year or so of my Incredible because it was "easier". Once I finally decided to give it a real try without Sense, I had a chance to see how much better it is without it.

With all of the 3rd party launchers out there, if you like Sense you can get a pure Google phone and add it. NovaLauncer does pretty much all that Sense does but without as much bogging down of the system. All of this is IMHO of course. ;)

Upvote 0
^This. That's 100% correct. Sense is a nice introduction into the Android ecosystem. I would recommend someone coming from a dumb phone or from Apple to get a HTC phone over a pure Google phone for their first attempt. I'm glad my Incredible was my first Android phone. I resisted the "pure Google" crowd for about the 1st year or so of my Incredible because it was "easier". Once I finally decided to give it a real try without Sense, I had a chance to see how much better it is without it.

With all of the 3rd party launchers out there, if you like Sense you can get a pure Google phone and add it. NovaLauncer does pretty much all that Sense does but without as much bogging down of the system. All of this is IMHO of course. ;)

I disagree. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Sense. Love it. I've tried Cyanogen and went right back to Sense. I have flashed pure ICS on my DInc (using the DInc2 as my main phone these days) and it's a good OS in what little time I've had to play with it. It's buggy, but it's beta. I still like the feel of Sense better. To each his own though. My next phone will likely have Sense because I consider it to be a value add.

Upvote 0
HTC is not going to make a pure ICS phone. Their phones are going to have Sense on them.
I didn't actually mean pure as in no Sense. I actually love Sense too, that's why I want another HTC phone. I meant pure ICS as in, made for ICS - not just having ICS added on. Even some of the new phones that come with ICS stock look like they were made for Gingerbread.

Upvote 0
I disagree. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Sense. Love it. I've tried Cyanogen and went right back to Sense. I have flashed pure ICS on my DInc (using the DInc2 as my main phone these days) and it's a good OS in what little time I've had to play with it. It's buggy, but it's beta. I still like the feel of Sense better. To each his own though. My next phone will likely have Sense because I consider it to be a value add.

Agree 110%! I actually did the same thing you did and am right back to sense as well.

Upvote 0
Well with happiness as of Friday I will bid farewell to my Incredible. It was fun while it lasted, and I really loved the phone, however after that last update and costantly telling me "low disk space", enough was enough. Always having to delete stuff just to make that annoying icon disappear and the charging of batteries, I just think i deserve better. I will still keep you as a emergency back up but must move on the bigger and better......Razr Maxx.:):):):):):):):):)

Upvote 0
Alas, all good things must come to an end (or atleast, must get upgraded). I'm happy with my DInc. It's survived a LOT more punishment then I would ever have hoped, even a massive spiderweb crack up the screen and the thing STILL works flawlessly. I'll definitely be hanging on to it, and I'm glad I picked it for my first smartphone. Time to move onto something with a bigger screen though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones