• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official: GPS fix is being pushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, sucks to be the new guy and have info you feel like you should share. Why should people believe you? *sigh*

I figured it was better to toss it out there than keep it to myself. If it's true, it'd be the bigger crime to not share it.

And like I said... if it doesn't come to pass, it's not because I was BSing you. And from the nature of my conversation with the AT&T tech support guy, I don't think he was BSing me. But we'll see I suppose... heh. Here's hoping...
I believe YOU!

I just don't know if what you were told was true. But I am going to remain hopeful for now.

Upvote 0
How is this vindication? It's more claims - this time by someone with TWO posts.

Good point... :)

I decided to register for this forum to share what happened when I contacted Samsung. I still don't understand how the number of posts determine whether I contacted them or not. Anyone can call Samsung, as I did. I'm an active member at Android Central and before that, Crackberry.

Upvote 0
One interesting thing to note is that the AT&T tech told me he noted this information on my account.

Now, this could cut both ways. The note could be like "lied to customer about GPS update to keep him, keep up the lie" or it could be leverage I can use with the next AT&T tech I talk to to prove the info was given to me.

I don't intend to let this matter lie, with AT&T or Samsung, since I'm being bitten by it too. I will continue to reach out to them for more info, and if I get any I'll share it here.

I also have a personal friend who works for AT&T but he's not very high up so the AT&T employees here who are already forum members probably know as much as he does.

Upvote 0
One interesting thing to note is that the AT&T tech told me he noted this information on my account.

Now, this could cut both ways. The note could be like "lied to customer about GPS update to keep him, keep up the lie" or it could be leverage I can use with the next AT&T tech I talk to to prove the info was given to me.

I don't intend to let this matter lie, with AT&T or Samsung, since I'm being bitten by it too. I will continue to reach out to them for more info, and if I get any I'll share it here.

I also have a personal friend who works for AT&T but he's not very high up so the AT&T employees here who are already forum members probably know as much as he does.

You could record the next call and post the audio... That would be awesome! Then we would believe you!!

Upvote 0
I think it's too early to say that there is no update. If Samsung rep said that they were releasing an update that would mean that they were releasing it to wireless providers and not to the customers. AT&T then would need to verify the update an release it to customers. This does not happens in minutes or even hours.

Upvote 0
Yeah I mean this would be more like the way Apple does app updates through the app store. Devs submit it to Apple for approval and Apple releases it on the App store as an update AFTER they approve it.

Samsung could very well come out today and say ok guys we found the problem and have released a fix to AT&T, but could be another week before AT&T actually releases the update to us.

Upvote 0
I talked with Samsung level 3 customer support (dialed 888-987-HELP). I first talked with a level 1 person who acknowledged that Samsung was aware of the issue and investigating it. I asked to talk with level 3 support. The guy said that the updated is complete and has been provided to AT&T and they would push it out OTA. He didn't know how, but he said that they wouldn't push it out to everyone at once. I asked him about checking for software updates and he admitted he wasn't sure if that would work, as this is Samsung's first AT&T phone. He said that he wasn't really certain of how it would work, but that if you didn't accept the OTA upgrade when it was offered to you, you might have to wait a while longer before it is offered to you.

I know this is my first post, so take it for what it's worth.

Doug

Upvote 0
I know over at MoDaCo the folks there have been testing ROM I9000XWJM2 for the Galaxy-S which seems to include GPS fixes and they're saying is wicked fast. JM2 is a test ROM leaked from Samsung. I know the Galaxy-S's are shipping with ROM JF4, the Captivate is on JF6 (Settings->about phone->Baseband version). It'll be interesting to see what version eventually goes OTA from AT&T. If it's anything like the latest test ROMs Samsung has been putting out, not only will it fix GPS, but some people are doubling their quadrant scores.

Reactions: Simba501
Upvote 0
I talked with Samsung level 3 customer support (dialed 888-987-HELP). I first talked with a level 1 person who acknowledged that Samsung was aware of the issue and investigating it. I asked to talk with level 3 support. The guy said that the updated is complete and has been provided to AT&T and they would push it out OTA. He didn't know how, but he said that they wouldn't push it out to everyone at once. I asked him about checking for software updates and he admitted he wasn't sure if that would work, as this is Samsung's first AT&T phone. He said that he wasn't really certain of how it would work, but that if you didn't accept the OTA upgrade when it was offered to you, you might have to wait a while longer before it is offered to you.

I know this is my first post, so take it for what it's worth.

Doug

That's who I spoke with when I called.

And uhh...Samsung Jack?

And I posted something very similar to this about my phone call to Samsung and all I got was slack for not having any posts :mad:, oh well. Glad to see more confirmation :)

Upvote 0
I know over at MoDaCo the folks there have been testing ROM I9000XWJM2 for the Galaxy-S which seems to include GPS fixes and they're saying is wicked fast. JM2 is a test ROM leaked from Samsung. I know the Galaxy-S's are shipping with ROM JF4, the Captivate is on JF6 (Settings->about phone->Baseband version). It'll be interesting to see what version eventually goes OTA from AT&T. If it's anything like the latest test ROMs Samsung has been putting out, not only will it fix GPS, but some people are doubling their quadrant scores.
Makin' me get my hopes up w/talk like that ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones