• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official: GPS fix is being pushed out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked with Samsung level 3 customer support (dialed 888-987-HELP). I first talked with a level 1 person who acknowledged that Samsung was aware of the issue and investigating it. I asked to talk with level 3 support. The guy said that the updated is complete and has been provided to AT&T and they would push it out OTA. He didn't know how, but he said that they wouldn't push it out to everyone at once. I asked him about checking for software updates and

.....he admitted he wasn't sure if that would work, as this is Samsung's first AT&T phone. He said that he wasn't really certain of how it would work, but that if you didn't accept the OTA upgrade when it was offered to you, you might have to wait a while longer before it is offered to you.

I know this is my first post, so take it for what it's worth.

Doug

Well of course, I, like the rest of us hope this is true. It is not to doubt you in any way. They probably did tell you that. Its just that different people (from samsung) are saying different things. I chatted with a level 2 CS rep this morning (Ruth) who said, "There are no known issues with the GPS feature on this phone". When I told her that if you look online you can see, hundreds if not thousands of people having issues with the GPS... She gave me the level 3 phone number and disconnected. I think I will call them myself here in a bit.

Also, if they gave you the excuse that this "Samsungs first ATT phone, He is completely wrong. According to their own website, there are 63 of them. About 5 years ago I had a Samsung slider on AT&T, and my stepson has a Samsung Slider in his pocket right now that is about 3 years old. I cant recall the model numbers tho.

Upvote 0
The "AT&T has it excuse" may hold true. For the Samsung Jack it started with WM6.1 and was upgradeable to 6.5 but it took forever for it to be made available. AT&T dragged their feet getting it out. Samsung claimed for several months that AT&T had the update but was still testing it and planning how to roll it out. In the end, I never received any text, or OTA push. I found a leaked version and installed it.

Upvote 0
Well of course, I, like the rest of us hope this is true. It is not to doubt you in any way. They probably did tell you that. Its just that different people (from samsung) are saying different things. I chatted with a level 2 CS rep this morning (Ruth) who said, "There are no known issues with the GPS feature on this phone". When I told her that if you look online you can see, hundreds if not thousands of people having issues with the GPS... She gave me the level 3 phone number and disconnected. I think I will call them myself here in a bit.

Also, if they gave you the excuse that this "Samsungs first ATT phone, He is completely wrong. According to their own website, there are 63 of them. About 5 years ago I had a Samsung slider on AT&T, and my stepson has a Samsung Slider in his pocket right now that is about 3 years old. I cant recall the model numbers tho.

Sorry about that...I have had a different Samsung ATT phone. What I meant to say is that it is Samsung's first Android phone at ATT. The tech support guy was supposedly android specific.

Upvote 0
The "AT&T has it excuse" may hold true. For the Samsung Jack it started with WM6.1 and was upgradeable to 6.5 but it took forever for it to be made available. AT&T dragged their feet getting it out. Samsung claimed for several months that AT&T had the update but was still testing it and planning how to roll it out. In the end, I never received any text, or OTA push. I found a leaked version and installed it.

I had the Samsung Jack during this time period. I installed 6.5 directly from Samsung's website.

Upvote 0
And I posted something very similar to this about my phone call to Samsung and all I got was slack for not having any posts :mad:, oh well. Glad to see more confirmation :)

No one was giving you slack for a lack of posts alone. A lot of people here are not new to the game: former iPhone users know that Apple never warns users of updates and expect the same from Samsung, and Samsung users know that they are horrible with providing updates. The main contributor to people not fully believing you was that many others (including myself) have contacted Samsung and have gotten less than unenthusiastic responses.

Upvote 0
I would approach this with a positive view. However, for those of us that have AT&T we should start calling their support department then compare responses. The more they hear from the community the faster something will get done. I see a lot of people complaining about the issue but don't read much about anyone calling it in or following up on it. You can't expected them to fix something that doesn't seem to impact large number of customers.

Upvote 0
As a long time Android user (G1 -> MyTouch -> N1) let me quell a few misconceptions I see running rampant here (these also ran rampant last summer with the fabled "cupcake" update debacle). Firstly, UI / phone specific updates get rolled out by the manufacturers, but NEVER directly to the customer OTA. OTA requires network access and is always routed through the carrier, and sometimes the carriers filter/modify/adapt specifics about the update. It seems that the more controlling about the features the carriers are, the longer it takes for them to check and modify the update contents- with AT&T we can be guaranteed that all future OS updates will be incredibly slow due to their crippling and bloating obsession. The only exception to this update pattern is/was the N1, but AT&T ignores it, and it is no longer being sold anyway. Secondly, the "check for updates" menu in settings doesn't really check anything (hasn't on any other Android device ever). It is where you go to once you are offered the update to download it, if you chose not to when you got the pop-up (like for battery reasons or whatever- also, while I am thinking about it, make sure you have plenty of battery before beginning any update or flashing a ROM if rooted). Thirdly, the pop-up will be either in the middle of the screen (kind of Handcent SMS pop-up style), or on some UIs as a notification that will say "system update available" and will have plenty of instructions. Lastly, everyone should be vigilant about this update, and there is an app in the market that is called "logcat" that will grab log files. Everyone should download this app and when notified of the update, decline, run logcat, and while running it go to settings, about phone, check for updates and download the update. Then, post the logcat log file from your SD card onto here, and we can filter through it to find the update link. Once we have the update link anyone and everyone can grab it by navigating to that url (at least this is how we have been getting updates on AndroidCommunity and XDA since the G1 days). Now, some caveats; this is AT&T we are dealing with here, so a timeline could be weeks, but as this update should be issue-specific I would hope that AT&T would see how necessary it is, and push it through quickly. Secondly, AT&T may block the URL method for grabbing the update, but we will only know if we try it. Originally there were worries that it was controlled like the update notification rollout itself- by IMEI #- but as I have said, it was found to work on every other Android phone I have had... I don't mean for this to sound corrective even condescending, but I have been around Android for a while and this is how it works. I hope this may clarify a little and stop some of the anxious speculation that is going on, as it has happened before and was miserable to bear through.

Upvote 0
The best thing for people to do right now is call both AT&T and Samsung and make sure you communicate to them that you're having GPS issues.

Make it clear that "augmented" GPS using cell or wifi positioning data isn't an acceptable band-aid.

Make it clear that if the problem isn't fixed within your 30-day return window, you'll be returning your Captivate.

When calling Samsung, you will initially get a "Level 1" rep in a foreign call center. This will be a painful experience, but just stay polite but firm and wrestle with them until they agree to transfer you to a Level 3 tech. All Level 3 techs are in the USA.

Once you get the Level 3 tech, be polite, explain your situation clearly, and make sure they understand the nature of the problem.

It's important for both AT&T and Samsung to get as much feedback about this issue ASAP.

AT&T: 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 on your cell phone)
Samsung: 1-888-987-4357

Upvote 0
I would approach this with a positive view. However, for those of us that have AT&T we should start calling their support department then compare responses. The more they hear from the community the faster something will get done. I see a lot of people complaining about the issue but don't read much about anyone calling it in or following up on it. You can't expected them to fix something that doesn't seem to impact large number of customers.

Yeah! Everybody should be calling!!!

Upvote 0
Well I am getting more skeptical about the OTA update coming any time soon.

Just got off the phone with Ralph from level 3 tech support (I recorded the conversation in case he gave me any real news). I was actually calling regarding my wife's Vibrant (but this is regards every Galaxy S phone) so they didn't know it was my 3rd time calling. He confirmed exactly what I was told yesterday and as much as I prodded and talked in circles fishing for more information I got nothing new. Although he was more confident and gave less maybe this maybe that. To summarize:

1. The problem is definitely firmware and not hardware.
2. There will definitely be a patch distributed as an OTA update to fix the GPS.
3. He could not tell me where in the process the update was (writing code, testing, given to providers for testing, etc).
4. It could be wrapped into the 2.2 update.
5. It could be months before it is distributed

Everyone keep calling!!! Warning, you will be could be on hold for a while when waiting for the level 3 tech.

Upvote 0
Well I am getting more skeptical about the OTA update coming any time soon.

Just got off the phone with Ralph from level 3 tech support (I recorded the conversation in case he gave me any real news). I was actually calling regarding my wife's Vibrant (but this is regards every Galaxy S phone) so they didn't know it was my 3rd time calling. He confirmed exactly what I was told yesterday and as much as I prodded and talked in circles fishing for more information I got nothing new. Although he was more confident and gave less maybe this maybe that. To summarize:

1. The problem is definitely firmware and not hardware.
2. There will definitely be a patch distributed as an OTA update to fix the GPS.
3. He could not tell me where in the process the update was (writing code, testing, given to providers for testing, etc).
4. It could be wrapped into the 2.2 update.
5. It could be months before it is distributed

Everyone keep calling!!! Warning, you will be could be on hold for a while when waiting for the level 3 tech.

Good news to hear (definitely firmware). And I was on hold for almost an hour :/

Upvote 0
Hold tight everyone. I had these same issues with people in the CrackBerry Forums. Although it was the best site ever for me to be on when I owned my BlackBerry, new people came in and posted information like this. Lets think about this seriously. Who actually thinks that people would waste there time signing up and posting information like this, if they werent told it? I know I sure wouldnt. I can see someone doing that on something really serious and messing around like Iphone to Verizon, or something of that nature. But this is just a GPS fix. Its not a major crazy thing. I mean, There are SOO many people who said Samsung is aware of the problem. Im pretty much sure that they will hold up on there end and fix it. They wouldnt release $500+ phones out and notice a problem, and not fix it. There to big of a company to do that.

Althought Apple IS fixing there problem by offering cases and bumpers. Now that right there is extremely pathetic. But there fan base is so huge, they will still be extremely successful. I know I dont want no case on my phone. So everyone just sit tight. It will come. I mean hey......We got FaceBook, Making and recieving Calls, and Apps galore to play with lol. So we will be fine im sure.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
Hold tight everyone. I had these same issues with people in the CrackBerry Forums. Although it was the best site ever for me to be on when I owned my BlackBerry, new people came in and posted information like this. Lets think about this seriously. Who actually thinks that people would waste there time signing up and posting information like this, if they werent told it? I know I sure wouldnt. I can see someone doing that on something really serious and messing around like Iphone to Verizon, or something of that nature. But this is just a GPS fix. Its not a major crazy thing. I mean, There are SOO many people who said Samsung is aware of the problem. Im pretty much sure that they will hold up on there end and fix it. They wouldnt release $500+ phones out and notice a problem, and not fix it. There to big of a company to do that.

Althought Apple IS fixing there problem by offering cases and bumpers. Now that right there is extremely pathetic. But there fan base is so huge, they will still be extremely successful. I know I dont want no case on my phone. So everyone just sit tight. It will come. I mean hey......We got FaceBook, Making and recieving Calls, and Apps galore to play with lol. So we will be fine im sure.

This was not the case in my situation. I was already an active member at Android Central and posted information from a call with Samsung there. Already being a reader of this forum, I decided to register for the sole purpose of letting people know (me and my silly thoughtfulness :rolleyes:).

And I agree. The phone does everything else very well, so right now I'm content (though I am anxiously awaiting the update).

Upvote 0
I know over at MoDaCo the folks there have been testing ROM I9000XWJM2 for the Galaxy-S which seems to include GPS fixes and they're saying is wicked fast. JM2 is a test ROM leaked from Samsung. I know the Galaxy-S's are shipping with ROM JF4, the Captivate is on JF6 (Settings->about phone->Baseband version). It'll be interesting to see what version eventually goes OTA from AT&T. If it's anything like the latest test ROMs Samsung has been putting out, not only will it fix GPS, but some people are doubling their quadrant scores.

Sorry to burst the bubble but there is a lot of misinformation here.
The newer roms such as JM2 have been tested a lot now and don't improve the GPS and in fact some are saying it makes it worse.

There is also no doubling of quadrant scores. The increase is about 50-100 points over the original. The doubling of scores is from the ext4/ext3 lag hacks.

So the wait continues, all we have is rumours so far and lots of samsung said this and samsung said that.. but the issue still drags on.

Reactions: Android_J
Upvote 0
Sorry to burst the bubble but there is a lot of misinformation here.
The newer roms such as JM2 have been tested a lot now and don't improve the GPS and in fact some are saying it makes it worse.

There is also no doubling of quadrant scores. The increase is about 50-100 points over the original. The doubling of scores is from the ext4/ext3 lag hacks.

So the wait continues, all we have is rumours so far and lots of samsung said this and samsung said that.. but the issue still drags on.

Well, I can tell you that JM2 has *without question* improved my GPS. Prior to loading this ROM I could not get a lock at all (maybe twice in a week). Now I am getting a lock almost immediately. Even indoors I got a lock in less than 20 seconds. Something is different. I did not adjust the settings after flashing JM2. I tried every fix available on the stock rom to no avail.

Upvote 0
Well, I can tell you that JM2 has *without question* improved my GPS. Prior to loading this ROM I could not get a lock at all (maybe twice in a week). Now I am getting a lock almost immediately. Even indoors I got a lock in less than 20 seconds. Something is different. I did not adjust the settings after flashing JM2. I tried every fix available on the stock rom to no avail.

getting locks while stationary or inside is not the problem. the problem is getting a lock (and staying locked) to multiple satellites while in motion.

Upvote 0
I just wish Samsung and At&t would just come out and acknowledge the issue publicly. Just saying "we have a fix" will make me not worry about keeping this phone or not. Even if they said they have a fix but it may take a few months, hell I'll wait. But if it comes to my 30 days, and they haven't said anything and OTA updates haven't begun i'm returning this phone.

Reactions: radi0chik
Upvote 0
getting locks while stationary or inside is not the problem. the problem is getting a lock (and staying locked) to multiple satellites while in motion.

I have tested it on three different trips in my truck. It tracked me on all three trips with only one slight hiccup on one of them. All of these trips were over 14 miles. I am very happy with this performance.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting like everyone else for a fix :(

Used the Google navigation today and it got screwed up a couple time during my 50 min trip. It had me in fields and on near buy roads a few time during the trip.
It would also have me turning before I actually did and this messed me a couple times.
1st time using google navigation and it's a real nice app.

Keeping fingers crossed for a quick fix, I have 24 days left before I either keep the Captivate or take it back for another iphone 4.
I'm really starting to like this Android system..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones