1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Official Groundspeak Geocaching app!

Last Updated:

1. Vaseline Smith

Vaseline Smith Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. brianem

brianem Well-Known Member

$10 is just too much for me...especially when I'm already a premium user :(

Thankfully c:geo rocks.

3. carpenterty

carpenterty New Member

Doesn't work closes each time you try to view the map or navigate.lt Also cant import gpx files from the sd card, again just closes. This app is being used on my Droid X. Shame to see a$10.00 app not.work. Glad i still have c:geo

Vaseline Smith likes this.
  4. anth.trinh

anth.trinh Member

I tried your trial app and it was horrible. Using c:geo was much more efficient. Maybe your trial app isn't like your paid but if it is there is no way im paying for it. Sorry.

5. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Spot on. Way to high a price when subscription to Groundspeak (which I pay) is already on the high side.

6. RVRoadTrip

RVRoadTrip Active Member

Opencaching - Geocaching in United States of America launched today! Cache owners are invited to submit their cache info. Once the database starts filling up, app writers are free to pull data from the site. Groundspeak should not charge premium members for the app, especially when the app c:geo does an awesome job.

7. anth.trinh

anth.trinh Member

Amen

8. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

I've heard the Groundspeak app isn't all that good; too bad really. I had hoped it would be better. But I have a few things to say about those complaining about the cost of the app and a Premium Membership...

Stop whining or get out of the hobby. You do know you can have a free membership, yes? True, you don't get perks like PQ's and .gpx files, but you can only have so much for free.

Do you have so much as a clue as to how much it costs to run geocaching.com? No, no...I have no actual idea, but simple logic tells one that it's a lot. The company is maintaining truly massive databases (it's a worldwide site of course) and running god knows how many servers for distributing all that information.

How about a honest-to-goodness IT person giving us an idea of what it takes to do all this? And let's see....I've had a premium membership going on 4 years now, and the price has yet to go up. I expect it will eventually, and I won't complain. $30 a year for what you get? Not bad as far as I'm concerned. If you don't cache enough to make that worthwhile, just go back to a free membership and deal with the limitations.

Groundspeak isn't in business just for the purpose of catering to you; it's there to make money. You can go elsewhere if you don't like their terms. I've not bothered to check out other sources, but I know they're out there...Opencaching, for example.

Enough said for now. Fire away if you think you're better, more privileged, or whatever.

look here for more geocaching sites:

Geocaching websites - Cacheopedia

And I keep hearing that
    c:geo by carnero

is very good...and it's free.

9. andrewg533

andrewg533 New Member