Official HTC Car Kit

Last Updated:

1. craggybuk

craggybuk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone purchased the official HTC Desire car kit (reference on the HTC website is CU S420)? If so, does the charger actually charge up the phone or just prolong the time it takes for the battery to drain like all of the unbranded chargers seem to do?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Advertisement
  2. firedesire

firedesire Well-Known Member

If the kit you mention has the HTC micro usb cigarette plug-in with the coiled charging lead, this will quite effectively charge your phone whilst you're using it. I have the lead/plug, but am not using that cradle and it has coped with sat nav use and kept it charged.

3. sudkcoce

sudkcoce Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see a proper review on this kit... From what I've read, it does not really deliver...

4. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

Delivers for me :)

I invariably have GPS, Google Nav, Bluetooth and wireless on ( having forgotten to turn off the latter ) and it still charges the phone.

Using Tasker I can have the Desire automatically switch on Bluetooth and GPS when it gets docked as the cradle activates car mode.

It comes with a plastic disc with a very strong sticky pad on the back. I stuck this to the top of the dashboard and used the cradle on that. I did this because when attached to the windscreen, the phone acted like a mirror when the display was off - very annoying. The charging cable is not coiled so it is easy to tuck behind trim in the car.

The only issue I have is inserting the phone, the manual shows it slipping in easily, but I have to fiddle a bit. I sent my first one back thinking it was duff and to be fair the second is much better.

Having said all that, it is expensive and you can probably get something from mobilefun.co.uk along the same lines with a separate charger.

Hippo

5. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

6. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

I have the Brodit and it's brilliant. Charges the same as a AC adapter (1A?) so you can use Navigator and still expect it to be charging the battery. Only slight niggle is it doesn't identify itself as a car-kit so the phone doesn't switch to car-mode (and I can't switch Bluetooth on automatically). But since that was a Froyo addition I've never had it before the upgrade so I don't miss it.

If someone knew how to do the car-mode switching (without cutting into the wiring to make the USB connect properly) I'd love to know.

7. sudkcoce

sudkcoce Well-Known Member

That's what I've read. That it's not easy to insert, which at that price is just unacceptable...
    I've also read that if you mount it on front window, it is hard to adjust it, if the angle is steeper....

Hmmmm. Not very reassuring...

Anyway, I have ordered this one:
    FoneM8 - HTC Desire PREMIUM Dedicated Windscreen Mount: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

8. pr1vatepiles

pr1vatepiles Member

ive been loving the thing, true getting it in does require a non "bull in the china shop" approach but its worth it know you have secured it properly. Price is worth it for when something goes wrong. i'd feel better complaining to htc that their dock broke and damaged my phone. i suspect they would entertain repairs that way rather then explaining that a

9. Uridium

Uridium Well-Known Member

Not perfect but a workaround i use is to schedule bluetooth switching on automatically using an app named 'Tasker' at times i know i will be in the car (morning/evening commute) then within the Google Car dock app you can choose a setting so that it launches automatically when it connects to the car.

10. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Interesting wording on one of those:

Better reception when held upright? Also can't help but notice it only holds the phone at the bottom.. where the antenna is :D

Otherwise they look good though and a fair bit cheaper than the htc one. I just bought a

11. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

I find the actual charger itself (on the official HTC car charger) isn't a snug fit on new cars. it drops out fairly easily with the slightest of touches - not useless but not great.

With SatNav on it will charge the phone by around 1% every 5 minutes.