• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official HTC Incredible Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
People are tarlking like once 4G LTE comes out there will be no more 3G CDMA coverage. That will not be the case. They will roll out 4G and still support 3G for several years until basicly they phase out most everyone useing CDMA. I could see Verizon releasing the Iphone out on there 3G network then releasing a 4G Iphone in a year or two. I can see them doing that with all there phones just no one would make that big of a deal because i doubt there will be an Incredible 4G (Iphone->Iphone3G->Iphone3GS->Iphone4G?) HTC will just come out with a new phone and new name instead of the whole Iphone saga. Now Do i think the Iphone will change much? that answer is no. I doubt they will include multitasking for running simultaneous apps, prob the only thing they will do is a larger better screen and maybe make it a little more customizable UI but nothing huge thats why I am going to say Android will be better

That's exactly the point I was making. I thought for sure Apple would select the Qualcomm LTE chip because it maintains compatibility from 2G to 4G with both GSM and CDMA. By selecting the Beceem chip, that's not a good sign unless they're cramming yet another chip in the phone for the CDMA compatibility. What I'm saying is that it sounds like Apple intends to make the iPhone 4G LTE/GSM (no CDMA). If that's the case, it would only work on Verizon's 4G network which isn't going to give you the blanket coverage you'd want.

Upvote 0
OK This is a little off topic, but here goes:

I went out for a nice run in the cool pre-spring evening tonight (6 miles. It was fun). Anyway, I passed this business which had the street address of 166 Bunn Dr. Nothing special about that, but I remember when that building was built, 166 mhz pentiums were the state of the art. 166 MHZ!!!!

Now, we're talking about 1 ghz snapdragon processors for smartphones as well as 1.5 mhz dual processors. Oh my. oooooooooooooooooooooooh my!

Upvote 0
Don't even really bother with LTE yet. From what i hear. Even when they roll LTE out, the only devices that are going to use LTE are laptop cards. You won't likely be seeing any LTE devices until very end of this year or next year atleast.

Basically like Wimax, all you have are those laptop cards and routers so far. A device won't be coming until either this summer or the end of this year as they've said. If the rumored Supersonic gets Wimax and comes out like May or April then thats ahead of schedule. Otherwise, end of summer/this year.

Just don't expect any LTE device any time soon is all im saying.

Upvote 0
I know this thread is for the Incredible...but for those of us who believe the Incredible is Verizon's version of the Desire you may want to check out this link.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zol.com.cn%2F168%2F1681951.html&lp=zh_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

The link is a very detailed review of the Desire vs the Nexus One. It gives wonderful screen shots, details etc... on the Desire. I am hoping the Incredible is simply our version of the Desire.

Check it out

Reactions: pequeajim
Upvote 0
Well I don't think it will be too bad really, the N1 has a 1400 mAh battery and the Incredible looks to have a 1300 mAh battery not sure how much of a difference that would mean, the HD2 has a 1250 mAh battery and that has a 4.3" screen and a snapdragon processor.

That's also a very good point. In addition to any difference in power management between CDMA and GSM based phones, one of the big advantages of Snapdragon in general is its low power consumption vs. computing power. I think 1300 will be fine for Incredible. Besides, as soon as Seidio comes out with an extended battery, we'll have a great upgrade option if the standard battery doesn't get the job done.

Upvote 0
I know this thread is for the Incredible...but for those of us who believe the Incredible is Verizon's version of the Desire you may want to check out this link.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmobile.zol.com.cn%2F168%2F1681951.html&lp=zh_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

The link is a very detailed review of the Desire vs the Nexus One. It gives wonderful screen shots, details etc... on the Desire. I am hoping the Incredible is simply our version of the Desire.

Check it out

First, I have to say that as an ESL teacher, I find the translation capabilities of babelfish hilarious.

Second, re: the Incredible being our version of the Desire, that's the point I was trying to make earlier but I guess I wasn't clear enough. (typing one handed with an inquisitive baby on the lap made that kind of hard)

Upvote 0
Ok, guys - I guess my question to you is what's to keep the Incredible's 1300mAh battery from being as sh*tty as the Eris' 1300mAh one is? Of everything I have come across regarding the Eris, the biggest single complaint by far is that damn battery. And with the Incredible having a bigger, brighter more power-hungry screen and a faster processor what's to keep it from meeting the same fate?

Hopefully, better power management in the chipset, processor (one of Snapdargon's supposed strengths) and software. Also, isn't one of the advantages of an AMOLED screen lower power consumption than a standard LCD?

If not, we might have to spend on aftermarket batteries which sucks.

I know I asked before, but can anybody with knowledge about these batteries and their expected life at full charge comment on the real-world difference between 1300 and 1400mAh?

Reactions: Nashdroid
Upvote 0
Apparently the Devour also has a 1400mAh, so you may be right on the AMOLED part. Although I don't see why the N1 would have a 1400mAh battery if its supposedly on the same tier as the Incredible (with similar specs, including the AMOLED).

That I agree with. It would make sense to me to have the same size battery.

In looking for the article I read about CDMA power efficiency (which I still have not found), I read a few other articles that explain 2 additional differences between power management in CDMA and GSM. (1) is that CDMA phones require less power to transmit (form 0 to .02 megawatts, depending on environmental variables) than GSM (.02 to .06 megawatts, depending on environmental variables); and (2) because of the way that CDMA actually works, it doesn’t use any transmit power when a call is connected during silence, or while the party you are connected with is talking, whereas a GSM phone will always be transmitting while a call is connected. I'm still looking for the article I referenced earlier, but all of these things combined may be why the smaller battery.

Other than the above, the only things I can think of are (1) maybe the real, final spec will have the processor under clocked to 850MHz (less power usage); or (2) maybe there's something about the shape of the Incredible that prohibits a bigger battery (while staying cost effective)without a different back cover on the phone?

At this point, it's all speculation. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Upvote 0
First of all, hello to all you, been following since the Passion forum but just made an account to share a funny story with you all.

So I went into Verizon Wireless yesterday and started up a conversation with one of the employees there, a guy in his 20s. So, eventually I navigated the conversation to the N1 & incredible. At the mention of the two phones I could see his interest was peaked. I asked him if he had any idea when the phones were coming out, he told me he had no info on the incredible but the N1 would be coming out on March 23rd and it would be sold in stores.

Unlike some others I wasn't satisfied at that point. So I said to him, "Wow, you must have a good connect on the inside to let you know that kind of info." In response he told me that the info was all over the internet and he read it on a site called Boy Genius, he said I should check it out. Obviously I follow BGR and at this point I politely said thanks and good bye.

So this brought me to a funny realization. I believe this forum is actually starting to feed itself with information, it has become self-aware :eek:. For example the March 23rd nexus one date. I first saw that info on the internet mid Feb. Since then it has been regurgitated several times always with a slightly new spin, ever play the game telephone as a kid? Every week I have seen an article with the same info, and often leading back to the original source which came out mid Feb.

So basically, the Verizon Employees are reading this info on the web, they aren't always the smartest people and believe it is fact. One of us goes into a store gets the info from them, we post it in this forum, BGR picks it up off this forum, more Verizon employees read it on BGR/Engadget/Gizmodo/etc.., and regurgitate it back to us.

Conclusion: There is some good news out there, for example the research that was done in this forum to get new pics and videos. But overall I think any info directly from Verizon employees is just regurgitated information that they read on the internet. After all some of these employees are looking forward to the N1 and incredible just as much as we are. I guess the real question is if the original article which ran the March 23rd N1 release date is correct to begin with.

Recommendation: When getting news from informants see if you can get there source, make sure they didn't read it on the internet :p Also keep in mind these VZ reps are low level employees, they know at most as much as we do. If you want to get real info I would assume you would need to know someone high up at google or VZ and they would not have to mind getting sued for releasing sensitive info.

Yeah I said that a couple posts up. Mine was the CliffsNotes version of your post. Its unfortunate that we are the ones giving the Verizon kiosk employees their information. Keep up the good work and hopefully we can figure out a release date for the Incredible if we combine our powers and summon Captain Planet.

Upvote 0
Yeah I said that a couple posts up. Mine was the CliffsNotes version of your post. Its unfortunate that we are the ones giving the Verizon kiosk employees their information. Keep up the good work and hopefully we can figure out a release date for the Incredible if we combine our powers and summon Captain Planet.

Or maybe we could get the He-Man sword and yell, "By the power of Grayskull...I have the power!" I'm pretty sure an oiled up dude in S&M gear with a sword could get something out of someone! LOL

Reactions: Evolved
Upvote 0
Looks like that phone with the red backplate that we saw from the HTC tester a while ago wasn't an HTC phone.

4415890364_b5b5a3837b_b.jpg

seems to be a Nokia.

On the bright side, this was uploaded March 7th as "Taken With a HTC ADR6300" and it's still showing the 1952x3264 original resolution.

Upvote 0
Looks like that phone with the red backplate that we saw from the HTC tester a while ago wasn't an HTC phone.

4415890364_b5b5a3837b_b.jpg

seems to be a Nokia.

On the bright side, this was uploaded March 7th as "Taken With a HTC ADR6300" and it's still showing the 1952x3264 original resolution.

You know I had a thought about that!!! What if that is a VERZION testing facility, NOT an HTC testing facility??? And what if all the test phones for Verizon are colored black and red to denote that they are on Verizon's network??? Although that phone looks pink up close! Good find!

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Hey, I just wanted to say thank you for all the info that all of you have dug up. I am very impressed how the websites (I have been going on for the past few months to get news and learn about android and there phones) are now relying on this forum for new news. I have enjoyed reading this forum. It really helps knowing that I am not the only one conflicted when it comes to the Nexus one and the Incredible. So, for me, I want the Incredible only if it comes with higher ram. I love htc sense but not at the expense of a slower phone. I fine myself rooting for Google. I know they are a billion dollar company but, I look at them more as pirates going against apple. Steve-jo seems too dam smug to me.

Upvote 0

seems to be a Nokia.

Looks like my speculation on it being a personal phone and not an HTC phone were right;)

You know I had a thought about that!!! What if that is a VERZION testing facility, NOT an HTC testing facility??? And what if all the test phones for Verizon are colored black and red to denote that they are on Verizon's network??? Although that phone looks pink up close! Good find!
I highly doubt that. The monitors all had Chinese characters.. the person who leaked that "dark room" recording video was located in Taiwan.. all the Twitter accounts that we've dug up to be testers were also located in Taiwan.. and most of the material around the desk is in Chinese or has some sort of Chinese relation. Also, most of the Flickr pics contain Chinese/Taiwanese items/locations. And considering they don't have Verizon there, I'm almost 100% they are HTC testers.

Edit: Not to mention that there was a picture of her nametag/ID card (I'm assuming for work) which was in Chinese

Reactions: JMKosmo
Upvote 0
Looks like my speculation on it being a personal phone and not an HTC phone were right;)

I highly doubt that. The monitors all had Chinese characters.. the person who leaked that "dark room" recording video was located in Taiwan.. all the Twitter accounts that we've dug up to be testers were also located in Taiwan.. and most of the material around the desk is in Chinese or has some sort of Chinese relation. Also, most of the Flickr pics contain Chinese/Taiwanese items/locations. And considering they don't have Verizon there, I'm almost 100% they are HTC testers.

Edit: Not to mention that there was a picture of her nametag/ID card (I'm assuming for work) which was in Chinese

That I missed.....now I am sad again! :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
In case anyone is curious. This is probably why we haven't been able to get much concrete information on the Incredible which I assume is pretty routine considering the importance of this particular phone. Does this also explain why the phone isn't on HTC's website under the product listing but the Desire is?

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1239600&native_or_pdf=pdf
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all manufacturers issue out a confidentiality notice for their phones, and state something similiar in wording. As a matter of fact, I believe there was a discussion in this thread talking about how the N1's confidentiality notice expires much sooner than the Incredible's. I may be confusing this with something else, anyone else want to chime in?

The Desire is on the HTC website because it has recieved an official announcement at MWC.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones