• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official HTC One M8 Prime (Prime8/Primate/Plus) Rumors and Speculation Thread (updated title 5/30)

No that's not true. My original conclusion stands. HTC couldn't turn a profit with a "cutting edge" product. Lawsuits are a part of the territory and generally nowhere near the multi billions in revenue for a major company. This article says htc paid msft $5/phone. Not much. Paid apple $1 billion in summer and settled in November which was probably a per phone cost so didn't affect current profits. Had revenues in 2012 of $10 or 11 billion ($9.2 billion jan-nov). Anyway too tired. Will write more tomorrow. Goodnight.

Upvote 0
No that's not true. My original conclusion stands. HTC couldn't turn a profit with a "cutting edge" product. Lawsuits are a part of the territory and generally nowhere near the multi billions in revenue for a major company. This article says htc paid msft $5/phone. Not much. Paid apple $1 billion in summer and settled in November which was probably a per phone cost so didn't affect current profits. Had revenues in 2012 of $10 or 11 billion ($9.2 billion jan-nov). Anyway too tired. Will write more tomorrow. Goodnight.

I'm sorry but lower profits after lawsuits does not equal did not turn a profit.

First with 1080p and at a profit - HTC.

Read up well my friend, I have followed *every* case as it's happened. If you want to know the rest, read more than one article. ;) We're talking about multiple lawsuits here.

Including the spat with Samsung.

And if you want to go along with the idea that market fears compounded by ill-informed blog writers helping to tear down sales had no effect, we'll have to agree to disagree. I've heard and responded to this moving target conversation for years.

The bottom line is that Samsung was not first here as you thought.

Despite HTC doing consistently what you said that they needed to do - get ahead with innovation - every time they do, they get roasted by jackals in the press.

Look up how recently HTC's new model outsold the record breaking Samsung from the previous year and then read how the blog writers managed to report that as an epic fail because Samsung broke a new record that new year.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/apple-and-htc-reach-patent-peace-but-at-what-cost/

Now go read what happened after that. :)

The last word is all yours, I have nothing more to add.

Have a good night! :)

Upvote 0
The reason I didn't know about Droid DNA is because it was a massive failure. By not turn a profit I meant much profit ie enough to warrant staying in business. You can't deny htc costs were too high relative to the price they could generate for the Droid DNA. That's a fail. Any company can produce something cutting edge but the key is: at what cost?

Upvote 0
The reason I didn't know about Droid DNA is because it was a massive failure. By not turn a profit I meant much profit ie enough to warrant staying in business. You can't deny htc costs were too high relative to the price they could generate for the Droid DNA. That's a fail. Any company can produce something cutting edge but the key is: at what cost?

Ummm.

OK, it was followed by the HTC One, perhaps you've heard of it, that still came out with 1080p before Samsung did and it was a massive success.

Does that count or are we just going to agree that Samsung was really first?

Upvote 0
Interesting thing about Verizon marketing and everyone agreeing (except for the recent ascendancy of AT&T) that Verizon has the most subscribers -

It's easy to believe that what Verizon does is the lion's share of what's important in sales.

The reality is that approximately 2/3 of the US and all of the rest of the world are not Verizon customers and we don't see sales and phones through the jailhouse bars that Verizon puts people behind.

I will grant that according to Verizon, HTC phones are the last to get features, even when they really aren't.

If you're on Verizon, you could very well be among the last to see the HTC One Prime.

Verizon gets away with it, being a minority supplier.

Upvote 0
Yes perhaps my view was clouded by a Verizon lens. Wish there was a cheaper but still good (coverage wise) alternative. But the wireless carriers are pretty much an oligopoly. Verizon supposedly 4G LTE but was noticing in California Pizza Kitchen yesterday that even in North Raleigh I was getting 3G. Kinda disappointing.

Isn't that the truth!

I've tried another carrier recently to see if it makes sense to switch - I've been on all of them over the years, often more than once - and it's just a moving target.

T-Mobile is really nailing it in New Mexico now, easily the best - except - I'd pay more for that, be on the glorious no-contract plan and then have no consumer contract protections after the Sprint acquisition goes through.

It really makes you stop and think - we led the world in wired telecommunications technology - yet we're suffering from the worst service and corporate shell games under wireless.

Meanwhile, they try to upgrade a tower next to my office and I had to reprovision my phone after the wrong LTE test signal borked it.

I guess all I can say is that I get New Mexico green chile and you get North Carolina barbeque (my favorite btw) so we got that going for us. :D

Upvote 0
I used to live in santa fe! Loved the big skies, mountains and arts but the elevation intensified effects of low red blood cell count and I missed green grass and trees. If money weren't an issue I'd live in northern california.

I like the t mobile unlimited plan for $50 but was thinking about it and i pay $70/month on Verizon for unlimited phone and text & 1 GB data and my (leftover) $20/month lumia 822 contract (my brother convinced me to get that phone cuz he was interested from an IT perspective and I hated it). Don't really use the data much so switching wouldn't really help.

Learned in school that different plans offered by phone carriers equates to monopoly. Kind of oversimplifying but in effect they are able to charge you for the level of service you use. Whereas in perfect competition there is one set price and those who use more benefit more. That's basically in combination with oligopoly where they all basically charge the same for the various plans. T mobile maybe slightly cheaper.

Upvote 0
HTC One M8 Prime coming soon!

Attachments

• 1410635524102.jpg
    1410635524102.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0
I believe they announced the "Desire eye" - plastic case, 5.2" screen, front and back 13MP dual-led flash cameras.

Why anyone would want to take a 13MP selfie to shrink down for posting on FB is beyond me. I can only speculate that HTC have realised that a lot of people are beyond educating and are going for the "big numbers sell things" approach, but maybe there's some subtlety I've missed. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones