Official HTC Response to my query re: Apps on SD card

Last Updated:

1. TimMatrix

TimMatrix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I sent an email to HTC's Customer Services:-

"The HTC Desire appears to have "limited memory capacity" of around 570Mb RAM and 512Mb ROM. The MicroSD card can hold up to 32Gb. So, why can't you (HTC) allow apps be stored in MicroSD card? If you or Google are concerned about piracy issues, i.e. copies of apps from microSD card to another microSD card, etc., there is one way round to this problem. You and/or Google could consider installing some kind of unique crypto-key within the Desire's ROM (perhaps IMEI or Serial number on each phone?), and any apps saved to the microSD card would be automatically encrypted "on-the-fly" with this crypto-key. When apps are accessed, it is decrypted on-the-fly, as well. In other words, apps will ONLY work with THAT phone as it shares the SAME crypto-key. Putting a microSD card containing apps into another Android phone (even if it is of the same model) WOULD NOT WORK, thus solving the piracy issue? Therefore, would you PLEASE consider allowing apps to microSD card (as much as 32Gb card) and BEAT iPhone/Nokia N900 at their own game! Many thanks."

This is HTC's response (received today (6/April/2010):
    "The reason that it is not possible to save applications to the SD card is due to limitations in the underlying Linux operating system in that it requires a filesystem that supports Linux permissions and FAT32 doesn't. The SD card is fomratted with FAT32 to provide compatibility with as many
    platforms as possible. Thhis restriction is not due to us but rather a limit that is imposed on Android devices from all manufacturers.

Although piracy is a small part of the issue the main problem is based in the undelying system.

Thank you once again for your continued patronage.

HTC"

Hmmm, I wonder if we can "partition" the SD Card, with perhaps half to FAT and the other half with Linux's SWAP partition? One can theorize that all apps be placed in the SWAP section while the Music/Documents/etc in the FAT section?

Will this work???

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is what apps2sd does.

BUT you need root access for it (the phone) to see this as an extension of the phone's memory

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Well actually apps2sd stores the apps on an ext2 partition, swap partition isn't really required. I'm sure its more to do with piracy and not the file system tbh.

I mean it would be incredibly easy for the phone to partition an sdcard with both ext2 and fat32

4. miles_t

miles_t Member

or supply the phones with a decent amount of memory in the first place! all the great work that has gone into this fantastic phone and it has this major problem

5. TimMatrix

TimMatrix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I agree with you.

I just sometimes wish that adding a microSD card would turn the phone into a bigger memory space. It's like as if I only got 1Gb in my PC and putting in 3Gb more in and suddenly Windows recognises the extra memory capacity and treats it as one whole memory, i.e. 4Gb.

Why can't this simple method apply to Android, too? Treat any microSD card inserted as part of an INTERNAL memory, not EXTERNAL memory.

Oh well.... some bright guys out there may know of a solution without the need to 'root' the Android system. Anyone out there? Hmmmm.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

you know, its all part of their money making plan. What can beat the desire? A desire with 16GB of internal memory. What can beat a Desire with 16GB of internal memory? A desire with 16GB of internal memory and an 8MB camera with a proper flash.

We are just pawns at the end of the day!