• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official: HTC rolling out Android 2.2 and 720p video capture to unlocked European Desires this weeke

"Vodafone HTC Desire customers should expect to see the 2.2 Froyo sense before christmas". This is what voda mean, and i wouldnt put it past them !

Who cares !

Im on Vodafone and if there is a big delay in them rolling out an official upgrade then I'll simply install another (non Voda) official ROM.

As long as its an official build and not a development ROM Id be happy to root and install if necessary.

Upvote 0
Oh well gotta wait for VF to sort it. Hopefully it will not be too long unless what an earlier poster says is true and they use this to add their normal 'crap' to the firmware. Was pleased when I turned my desire on and it didn't even flash up with the VF animation and then there was nothing in the menu's that they normally put in there.

Just got a horrible feeling that this will be the time they add their junk.

I presume it would be easy enough for me to de-brand and install the official 2.2 Froyo Rom with the official Sense included now its been released by HTC?

Upvote 0
Hey Guys!!

Upgraded my Desire last night, but having nightmares!! :mad:

the download and update went well (no hiccups), but on reboot i noticed some issues;

• No Background theme, its blank (black)
  • Theres no service (signal)
  • no wifi (all i get is error, doesnt even start up)
  • after 30 second i get a error message "sorry - process system is not responding", with the option to wait or force close, then it restarts.

My Desire was an orange branded which i debranded & unlocked. anyone else in the same boat as me? any tips or idea how to fix this or do i have to go back to 2.1 via gold card method?

thank, appreciate any help!

-NuGuy .

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem.
Downloaded the update last night over wifi.
Installed it, got the green bar went all the way to the end and then it restarted. Then i got another green bar got to end restarted.
But here is the problem i encountered. When i was about to install it said i had enable backup, so it was going to backup my settings which FAILED. it automatically restarted and started installing that got me worried.
I got the message congratulations you have updated the software so and so but here is the worst bit. I got no phone signal, my sim card is not recognised anymore other sims are, my apn settings are completely wiped by this update, my network provider is not being registered. Which i learned later if you download apn backup and restore from the market it will back this up So you guys if you aint do this, and make sure you backup everything this is a rough ride man!!
Also so i have not got any phone signal sim card was blown away from the update completely.
I contacedt orange this morning to send me another sim. Contacted htc and they told me.
Btw i have a HTC Desire.
Turn off the phone
Then
Hold the volume rocker down key then press the power button to go into the factory settings.
Then find clear storage something and it resetted the whole phone.
Guys ive had a nightmare to be honest, the phone restarted about 50 times last night after the update it went bonkers god knows what it was doing but i dont know why any had this problem as mine?
My phone is a unlocked HTC desire i bought it unlocked and its almost brand new.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys!!

Upgraded my Desire last night, but having nightmares!! :mad:

the download and update went well (no hiccups), but on reboot i noticed some issues;

• No Background theme, its blank (black)
  • Theres no service (signal)
  • no wifi (all i get is error, doesnt even start up)
  • after 30 second i get a error message "sorry - process system is not responding", with the option to wait or force close, then it restarts.

My Desire was an orange branded which i debranded & unlocked. anyone else in the same boat as me? any tips or idea how to fix this or do i have to go back to 2.1 via gold card method?

thank, appreciate any help!

-NuGuy .

Intresing stuff, .My Desire can still receive calls even tho it says "no service", but i cant Call out, kinda freezes as i dial and it looks like 3G is connected but there no icon (received an email).

i know the update was for Unlocked/ Unbranded Desire ;/ ..thought f*** it and ..give it go, Iv reset the phone to factory settings but still no luck..via holding volume power key.
looks like ill have to do ROM flash back to 2.1 the Goldcard way and wait for working rom of 2.2.

-NuGuy

Upvote 0
Orange just announced that the official Desire 2.2 update should be ready in about 4 weeks (Twitter - conorfromorange).

From reading other posts on here, I believe that the general 2.2 update will only work on phones that were supplied unbranded. Phones that were originally locked to a network then unlocked/debranded by the user still have the network ROM installed, hence the loss of functionality when installing the general 2.2 update.

Options are to wait for the official network release, or completely remove the ROM and replace with 2.2 (although I don't know what's involved in doing that). Updating to anything other that the official release is quite scarry unless you know what you're doing...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones