• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official "I JUST ORDERED THE NEXUS 5!!!" Thread

Coming from a 2000 mAh battery in my GNex, I'm hoping to see a slight improvement with the N5's 2300 battery.

I swapped my SIM for a Micro Sim about 10 minutes ago and the new one is already working. The swap was free and they gave me a SIM adapter so I could continue to use my GNex until I get home. Great service from 3.

Reactions: biggiephil
Upvote 0
Coming from a 2000 mAh battery in my GNex, I'm hoping to see a slight improvement with the N5's 2300 battery.

I swapped my SIM for a Micro Sim about 10 minutes ago and the new one is already working. The swap was free and they gave me a SIM adapter so I could continue to use my GNex until I get home. Great service from 3.

With moderate use on my n5 I get at least 10+ hours of battery maybe I got lucky and got a good one lol

Upvote 0
First day of real-world use and I'm really pleased with the N5. It's so much more responsive than my GNex and the battery seems to be doing better too. Long may it continue.

Do you have a wireless charger? I had one with my N5 and that was one of my favorite features of the phone. Whenever I was in my office I just laid it on the charger and batt life was never an issue.

Upvote 0
I have found one thing I'm not keen on and thats the homescreens. I like the default screen to be in the middle and then swipe left or right to access apps/widgets I use often. They are only one swipe away.

On the Nexus 5 the home button takes you to the screen on the far left, so I can't flank it like on my GNex and HTC Desire. This means one screen is now two swipes away, instead of one.

I guess this is feature of Android 4.4.4, which is a shame, as I don't feel like using an alternative launcher on this device. I shall see how much it annoys me and then make a decision.

Do you have a wireless charger? I had one with my N5 and that was one of my favorite features of the phone. Whenever I was in my office I just laid it on the charger and batt life was never an issue.

It came with one, but I haven't used it beyond making sure it works yet.

Upvote 0
I have found one thing I'm not keen on and thats the homescreens. I like the default screen to be in the middle and then swipe left or right to access apps/widgets I use often. They are only one swipe away.

On the Nexus 5 the home button takes you to the screen on the far left, so I can't flank it like on my GNex and HTC Desire. This means one screen is now two swipes away, instead of one.

I guess this is feature of Android 4.4.4, which is a shame, as I don't feel like using an alternative launcher on this device. I shall see how much it annoys me and then make a decision.

In the google now launcher, your "home" screen is the one furthest to the left, and google now is the left-most screen. Unfortunately for you, there is no way to change this aside from using a custom launcher.

Upvote 0
Seems like a weird change to the user experience when Google has done it the other way for years. Apex might see use on the N5 after all.
Big fan of APEX. I like how you can resize the icons too. Stock size is too big for my taste.
I suppose it's because they want Google Now just a swipe sway.

Still one swipe away if you swipe up. Just not as quick.

Upvote 0
I don't use Google Now and haven't accepted the stock launcher update that says it adds the Google Now swipe in.

I put Apex on last night, best free launcher I've used, but it was having issues retaining my changes to the number of screens and the layout of them.

I wonder what Android L will bring, having not kept on top of any information about it.

Upvote 0
I received my "used" Nexus 5 (16 GB) White about a week ago. My very first action was to put Lollipop developer edition on it which I was successful at. I came from the Moto X (2013 - AT&T edition). While I really enjoyed the Moto X, I forgot how much I loved wireless charging as well as how smooth everything is. As far as games, they are about the same I think. However, this phone is smooth all the way around! I am so glad I bought this phone. I got it used off of craigslist for $150 (no scratches, with charger). I traded in my Moto X for $125. Total price for this upgrade.. $25..

Upvote 0
I agree with all the above, and also got mine a little over a week ago, and also coming from the the Moto X which I gave to the wife because her phone crapped out, the only gripe so far I have is I'm still stock 4.4.4 and noticed that the range on the WiFi is not better then the Moto X and also goes the same for the radio, I often go into buildings now and it'll switch from LTE to H and rarely or never switches back unless I hit airplane mode and then turn it back off.

The other day I was with the wife at an appointment in an a office building, where she was connected to LTE and mine would only connect to H, I also did a speed test to make sure and see the difference, and the speed difference from hers was tripled, hers was faster. I then in the building turned airplane mode on and off and I was back on LTE with the same speeds. So this device radio is definitely not as good as the Moto X for now. We'll have to see down the road. I did read many threads and I have seen many others with the same issue about the signal switching from LTE to H :rolleyes:

Other then that I must say all else is great on this device.

Upvote 0
I agree with all the above, and also got mine a little over a week ago, and also coming from the the Moto X which I gave to the wife because her phone crapped out, the only gripe so far I have is I'm still stock 4.4.4 and noticed that the range on the WiFi is not better then the Moto X and also goes the same for the radio, I often go into buildings now and it'll switch from LTE to H and rarely or never switches back unless I hit airplane mode and then turn it back off.

The other day I was with the wife at an appointment in an a office building, where she was connected to LTE and mine would only connect to H, I also did a speed test to make sure and see the difference, and the speed difference from hers was tripled, hers was faster. I then in the building turned airplane mode on and off and I was back on LTE with the same speeds. So this device radio is definitely not as good as the Moto X for now. We'll have to see down the road. I did read many threads and I have seen many others with the same issue about the signal switching from LTE to H :rolleyes:

Other then that I must say all else is great on this device.

I agree, the radio isn't as strong. Lollipop has helped a bit with more stable connections, however, you just can't beat the radios that Motorola has in all of their phone. I noticed that you are on cricket wireless. I am too. How do you like their service so far?

Nexuses have always (historically at least) had weaker cell and wifi stacks then a lot of other phones. Not saying it's good or justified, just the way it is. Maybe 5.0 changes that, but my guess is not for at least a few updates.

Upvote 0
I agree, the radio isn't as strong. Lollipop has helped a bit with more stable connections, however, you just can't beat the radios that Motorola has in all of their phone. I noticed that you are on cricket wireless. I am too. How do you like their service so far?

I was with Sprint for over 15 years, and was finally tired of the poor quality and prices, the move to AIO/Cricket was seamless and no issues to date for almost 6 months now. Night and Day IMO ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones