• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official "I just ordered the Nexus 5X" Thread

Ordered my carbon 32gb 5x with Project Fi, last night. I've been on Sprint's network for years with Virgin Mobile and a series of lower end Android phones, currently on kit kat with bloatware which can't be deleted and 1 Gb of ram.

I wanted a better camera, too.

I'll keep my old phone - wifi connected - as a mini-tablet for tv/media remote in the den and as a general handheld computing device.

Upvote 0
I ordered a 32gb 5x Carbon... Estimated delivery: Sat. Jan. 23 :D
My S3 mini has been getting really hot tried new battery didn't help so before it explodes.... I've been looking at the Nexus devices for several months and with the price of the nexus 5x I had to buy. Can't wait till it gets here...Just Shipped today......I've had mine about 3 week and ordered another one for my gf she now has had her's for about a week and loving it as much as I am mine

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I just ordered mine from swappa. I'm getting a carbon colored 32 gig phone. There is small scratch between the camera and the fingerprint sensor, but I plan on putting it in a case that'll cover it up anyway. I will be semi retiring my 1st gen Moto G. It's been a great phone but it's time to move on. This'll be my first Nexus phone. I've got this N7 (2013) but now I'm joining the ranks of Nexus phone owners. Yipee!

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Soooo, I ordered a Nexus 5x, got it and was so excited. Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I cannot turn it on because it has no sim card and guess what, Boost Mobile doesn't support it. Yay, 700+ bucks for phones I cannot use! What is the easiest and cheapest way to turn this thing on?
You mean you can't activate it as a phone, right? 'Cause not having a SIM card has nothing to do with whether the phone will turn on or not.

The phone is compatible with Sprint, so it is compatible with Boost. Maybe they just won't activate it for you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
No, Boost will not work with the 5x only the 6. And when you turn on the phone it says "no sim card, emergency calls only."
Google made this phone compatible with all the phone companies in the US, that means AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint. Since boost is a part of Sprint it IS compatible with Boost. They may just not want to activate it for you, or maybe they aren't allowed to in their rules and regulations that Sprint wrote up for them. But, the Nexus 5X is compatible.

Now, as was suggested, Project Fi might be the way to go since it uses Sprint's and T-Mobile towers. Yes, you do need to request an invite. I wouldn't think it should take too long to get it though, but then I am not using my 5X on Fi; I'm using MetroPCS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerystablue
Upvote 0
You mean you can't activate it as a phone, right? 'Cause not having a SIM card has nothing to do with whether the phone will turn on or not.

The phone is compatible with Sprint, so it is compatible with Boost. Maybe they just won't activate it for you?

Right, she should still be able to use the device on WiFi only even without a SIM card.

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Fi seems pretty cool but I am getting too old for all this techno stuff. I just bought what I thought was a pretty phone and I do love it, it is super crisp and clean and I use my google account for everything. I thought I could call up my provider and switch devices like I have done with all my other phones but no, that's not how it works anymore.

Yes, I can use the wifi no problem and I updated it with all my accounts but I cannot use it as a regular phone, ie, transfer my phone number over to it and what have you.

Upvote 0
Fi seems pretty cool but I am getting too old for all this techno stuff. I just bought what I thought was a pretty phone and I do love it, it is super crisp and clean and I use my google account for everything. I thought I could call up my provider and switch devices like I have done with all my other phones but no, that's not how it works anymore.

Yes, I can use the wifi no problem and I updated it with all my accounts but I cannot use it as a regular phone, ie, transfer my phone number over to it and what have you.
Does your area have good T-Mobile coverage? If so, may I suggest MetroPCS. I'm using mine on MetroPCS and have great coverage. Probably the easiest way would be to go into a store. They will probably charge $15 in addition to the first month service, but to get the help I think it's worth it. You can port over you Boost phone number and the prices are reasonable. My wife and I are on the $40 plan, but it's only $35 for each of us since we have two lines. Oh, they might also give you some kind of incentive since you'd be porting your number from Boost. Something to think about. There are a lot of MVNO's (mobile virtual network operators) out there that allow byod phones and the 5X is compatible with all of them (just want to make sure that they have LTE or you could be stuck on slow 3G).

Hope this helps and that you get a SIM card for your phone. It's a great device.

Reactions: Aerystablue
Upvote 0

I would wait/check to see if anyone else in this forum/thread/the internet uses the 5X on Boost. Maybe you can just tell them you need a SIM for a phone that they do support-, but in the same size as the SIM you need for the 5X.

Upvote 0
Thanks. We're going tonight to figure it out because as it stands now, I am carrying around 2 phones. I want an unlimited no contract plan like my boost which is around 50 a month. Maybe it did have it plainly stated on the google site but I never saw anything about "hey, you gotta get a sim card if you want to use this as a phone and not just a wireless device." I need things spelled out for me. Shoulda seen me trying to put that little wire key thing in it to open the sim card thingy! I think I de-evolved. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks. We're going tonight to figure it out because as it stands now, I am carrying around 2 phones. I want an unlimited no contract plan like my boost which is around 50 a month. Maybe it did have it plainly stated on the google site but I never saw anything about "hey, you gotta get a sim card if you want to use this as a phone and not just a wireless device." I need things spelled out for me. Shoulda seen me trying to put that little wire key thing in it to open the sim card thingy! I think I de-evolved. :)
So what have you figured out with your two N5X's? Curious to hear of you were able to get them on Boost or went with another company?

Upvote 0
It was a mess. I wouldn't have gotten this phone had I know it would be such a hassle, I mean it's nice but it's not so amazing that it would be worth it a second time. I had to go to Walmart and get one of those "bring your own phone" plans so I could get a nano sim card and activate it.

Also, I have no emoticons in my keyboard anymore. What is life without emoticons!? I am kind of a selfie queen and the picture makes my head bulbous and my eyes huge, kinda like an anime character. Definitely a mistake getting this phone.

Upvote 0
It was a mess. I wouldn't have gotten this phone had I know it would be such a hassle, I mean it's nice but it's not so amazing that it would be worth it a second time. I had to go to Walmart and get one of those "bring your own phone" plans so I could get a nano sim card and activate it.

Also, I have no emoticons in my keyboard anymore. What is life without emoticons!? I am kind of a selfie queen and the picture makes my head bulbous and my eyes huge, kinda like an anime character. Definitely a mistake getting this phone.
I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. Walmart Family Mobile is decent. I have my daughter on that.

As far as emoticons go, the Play Store has all kinds of 3rd party keyboards you can download and try. I'm sure you can find one with what you want.

Edit: personally, I haven't noticed if the front camera makes my head out of shape. Im not really a selfie picture taking kind of guy. I did take one, 'cause I needed a profile picture for something, and I thought it was OK. I didn't notice any out of shape to it.

Upvote 0
Also, twice in the last 2 days the phone has frozen and I had to restart it. Super bummed because this is the most I've ever paid for a phone. I could have gotten an even bigger one for half the price and half the hassle! The commercials were just that good that I thought this phone would be amazing.

Guys usually take terrible selfies so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice. :p It's as if the camera lense is domed so it makes the picture weird.

As far as the keyboards go, I've yet to hear of one that wasn't more trouble than it's worth. They seem ok but then it seems to screw something up. Know of a good one that isn't full of bugs?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones